Redline Proline or Flight pro for steet, park, dirt riding?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/19/2014 2:43 PM

I am mid 40s, 6' tall and weigh 200lb. Just getting back into BMX after a 30 year brake so that I can get into shape, have some fun, keep young and spend time with my 10 year old who has a Redline Recon for Christmas.
There are some race bikes for sale only a few years old for a reasonable price and I had my mind set on a Redline Proline Pro XL, but have also seen some Flight Pro XLs around.
I will be having a bit of fun on a BMX track of cause, but will spend a bit of time just riding to the track and to the skate park with my son. I don't envisage any wild arials or extreme freestyle tricks. Would the Flight Pro be OK for an all round bike? I was wondering about whether the carbon fork is more delicate? (If need be I could swap forks with my sons Redline Recon) .
Any other reasons why a Proline would be better to get than a Flight Pro?

|

12/19/2014 2:48 PM

I'd say a freestyle bike on a track would be better than a race bike on park and dirt

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/19/2014 2:49 PM

Those are both race bikes, designed to be light and fast specifically, and aimed for the track. You can get away with SMOOTH riding at parks and trails, and VERY basic stuff on street without grinds or large drops. (So manuals, and bump jumps etc or wheelies and cruising)

Honestly I would go proline if I was doing light cruising and a little light jumping at MOST.

But ideally finding something Chromoly for street/park would be your best bet.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/19/2014 3:03 PM

Maybe a Redline in 24 inch? Your a tall person that should give you some room.Plus you can still hop and jump

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

12/19/2014 4:23 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

Maybe a Redline in 24 inch? Your a tall person that should give you some room.Plus you can still hop and jump

I had hoped to stick with a 20" for my first bike, I take it the Pro XL sized frames will be OK?

|

12/19/2014 4:25 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

cr500 wrote:

I had hoped to stick with a 20" for my first bike, I take it the Pro XL sized frames will be OK?

I'd get a normal freestyle bike. You'll kill a race bike doing street/park. Try a sunday, fit, or we the people complete.

|

12/19/2014 4:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2014 4:32 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Those are both race bikes, designed to be light and fast specifically, and aimed for the track. You can get away with SMOOTH ...more

So, out of the Proline and the Flight Pro, you would say the Proline would be more durable? I had read somewhere that the Flight Pro had some better components so should be more durable, I take it that it would only be more durable on smooth race tracks, not out in the real world with more impacts etc? BTW, I wouldn't be trying grinds with this thing and my mid 40s joints feeling the effects of years of MX, wouldn't take kindly to big drop offs.
At my age and ability, I wasn't expecting to do anything too extreme, but still wanted to have a bit of fun.

|

12/19/2014 4:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2014 5:31 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

cr500 wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

I'd get a normal freestyle bike. You'll kill a race bike doing street/park. Try a sunday, fit, or we the people complete.

I have just been looking at the Redline Covet, this is more of a street/park bike. It will also look very similar to my sons Redline Recon. Any one know what these Redline Covets are like?

|