Redoing my brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

2/28/2014 7:54 AM

Well I bought gyros and they didn't work out to well and I'm constantly working on them and I'm a noob with working on brakes so it's really really hard.. Someone told me to buy all new stuff so that's what I plan on doing.. I have a mobeous detangler that I'm not getting rid of so if anybody can tell me what lever,cables, or brake that would work good with the snafu mobeous detangler that would be nice... Right now I have mission lever, snafu upper, snafu mobeous detangler, snafu lower cables, and a salt brake what should I change???

|

2/28/2014 8:47 AM

Nothing. Those would be a dialed setup.

As to what is wrong, post pics of it set up and we can then help. Or even a video of the issue you are having.

Do it.

NOW!

haha

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/28/2014 8:48 AM

Also, explain what you have to work on all the time, and what seems to be going wrong.

We can't help if you say "Something is wrong, help me" and don't provide symptoms/issues.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/28/2014 8:53 AM

What exactly isnt working right? I dont thibk you have to buy a completely new brake set up it might just end up being all you have to do is readjust the cable or something

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

2/28/2014 8:55 AM

Yeah I feel like it's just me being stupid but ill post a video of everything whenever I get home

|

2/28/2014 10:15 AM

I always hear kids say that working on brakes is a pain and I've never understood that. Once you understand how they work and what you're doing, it's really very simple. It's a matter of balancing the distance between your brake pads and rim with the amount of lever travel you want. For me personally, I like a lot of lever travel when setting up my brakes. I like to be able to pull the lever almost all the way back to the bars.
The majority of gyro setup is in the lower cables. Any adjustment of the upper cables is just a matter of taking out any cable slack between your lever and the gyro. You might need to add some spacers below your stem to give the gyro enough distance to travel. Once you've done that and have the gyro installed it's time to adjust the lower cables. Adjust the barrels on your gyro frame tabs so that they are flush with the top of the tab. You want the gyro to be sitting right on the tabs. Now is the trial and error part. You have to adjust the lower cable/cables so that you have the right balance of gyro travel and brake arm travel. When I do this, I like the gyro to be able to travel almost the entire gap between the lower tabs and the upper gyro plate. When I squeeze the lever, the brake pads might make contact with the rim at 1/2-3/4 of the gyro's travel and the remaining distance is just applied braking power. Whether you are using a 2 into 1 cable or dual cables, what you are trying to achieve is the same. When you have that figured out just adjust any slack out of the upper cables with their barrel adjusters.
Your setup should be just fine. At the very least, get some good brake pads. They can make a big difference in how well your brakes work.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

2/28/2014 5:55 PM

Photo

Photo
|

2/28/2014 5:58 PM

I fixed the main problem that i was having earlier but they still dont work like they should and i couldnt post a videosad but i feel like it just adjustinf and i dont know how to adjust anything being that i just got brakes soo thanks for the help so far! Hopefully i can fix this shiiit

|

2/28/2014 7:01 PM

You definitely need to adjust the slack out of the upper cable. Those ball ends should be seated in the sockets on the gyro. Use the barrel adjusters on your lever and gyro plate to do this. Here are some pictures showing how I have mine adjusted. BTW, my setup is similar to yours and my brakes will lock the rear wheel up tight(Odyssey M2 lever and upper cable, SNAFU Mobeus, SNAFU Astroglide lower cables, Salt brake, Odyssey Slim By Four brake pads).

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

2/28/2014 7:13 PM

So the barrel adjusters are those things that screw into a the gyro plate.. And i took some stuff of the lever i should probably put that back on.. Thanks for the help ill get back to you whenever i try to fix everything

|

2/28/2014 7:34 PM

Make sure to tighten the fuck out of the nuts on the barrel adjusters after you get your brakes how you want them. Most of the time when kids complain to me about how they always have to work on their brakes, their barrel adjuster nuts arent even remotely tightened. No shit you have to keep working on them! You leave them loose so that they adjust themselves on their own!

But to solve your problem, add more headset spacers if possible. As many as you can fit. And then adjust your barrel asjusters. I remember my upper snafu cables didnt work at all with my set up and looked similar to your problem. The XLs inner cables were too long and the Larges outer cables were too short. I ended up having to mod my XLs to work. I think for the most part I just needed an extra headset spacer and a new lever thats thicker in the barrel adjuster area. My diatech had like 1" between the barrel adjuster and cable-knob-hole thing which caused alot of slack. Other levers have like 1.5-2" between there which would eliminate alot of that slack your encountering there.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/28/2014 10:00 PM

Photo

I tuned my barrell adjusters.. Which i think are the things on te top that go into the gyro plate.. But i still have the lever problemPhoto
|

2/28/2014 10:04 PM

Also the cable ends will stay in for a while but then they loosen up..i checked my barrell adjuster thing and its on tight

|

2/28/2014 10:07 PM

If theres barely any play in the lever now, you can get washers from the hardware store to space everything out. If theres still a decent amount, I would recommend a new lever with a thicker gap inbetween the barrel adjuster and hole. But if youre going to get a new lever I would just recommend the Odyssey M2 which comes
with cables. Tbh, those snafu cables were never nothing but trouble for me.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx