Removable front brake bosses

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2018 7:44 AM

I know this has been brought up in other posts. But has anyone ever tried to install mounts on a fork to create removable brake bosses on a fork? I have an old fork & was thinking of MAYBE giving it a shot. Since I'm not aware of any manufacturers having tried it, I'm wondering if there's some sort of stress concerns after welding.

|

3/10/2018 7:50 AM

Deco used to make forks with removable mounts im pretty sure. most steel MTB with V-brakes had removable mounts so i don't see why BMX couldn't.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

3/10/2018 7:51 AM

hit up mike laird, he can do it for sure. it's not going to magically make your fork so brittle it brakes after one session.

|

It’s all bmx

3/12/2018 8:56 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

hit up mike laird, he can do it for sure. it's not going to magically make your fork so brittle it brakes after one session.

Yeah, I get that it won't "magically make your fork so brittle it breaks after on one session" but I don't want my fork to EVER magically (or non-magically, for that matter) break. Especially if I'm riding it! LOL.

|

3/12/2018 9:01 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Deco used to make forks with removable mounts im pretty sure. most steel MTB with V-brakes had removable mounts so i don't see ...more

Just looked up the Deco fork. They still make it! Interesting.

|

3/12/2018 9:17 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I know this has been brought up in other posts. But has anyone ever tried to install mounts on a fork to create removable ...more

I w8sh you could just drill and tap them. I have some s&? Forks that had brake lugs welded and they look good

|

3/12/2018 9:45 AM

Deco did it, they are solid.

If you are iffy on front brakes, try getting an older used fork to check em out, or a brake plate. If you like em then get a fork with mounts?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/12/2018 10:08 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Deco did it, they are solid.

If you are iffy on front brakes, try getting an older used fork to check em out, or a brake ...more

Oh, I'm all over the front brakes. It's just a thought I had & wanted to see what if anyone had seen it done (obviously is has been). It just seems like having the brake bosses available would be t he way to go for a lot of people that like front brakes, but maybe later would want to ditch them, the same way frames have removable brake setups. I suppose it probably comes down to cost. The value added by having removable front brake bosses, it's as valuable as them on a frame.

|