Removing cranks with hollow shaft

Related:
Create New Tag

8/9/2015 4:38 PM

Can anyone tell me what crank puller I need to use on my crank. My shaft is hollow so in not sure of the puller I need

|

8/9/2015 5:10 PM

Rubber mallet

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

8/9/2015 5:32 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Rubber mallet

This if it's sticking. If you don't have one, use a board between the regular hammer to avoid damaging them. This also works for installing bb bearings as well because it distributes the force without damage and makes them drop in straight. Wire brush the splines on the spindle/arms just enough to get them clean, then lightly grease them and the middle of the bearing before reinstalling. I've never had to use a crank arm puller in 20 years of riding, so I don't really know other than that. At least 8 of those have been with Profiles/Maderas tho and my current ones are hollow, but even with other cranks too

|

8/9/2015 5:41 PM

I've never needed one either. I've always used a dead blow. But I road my bike last winter and the salt corroded it. Or at least that's all I can thank of. I've used a brass rod butted up to the shaft before to get a crank off but this one has a hole that's like 9 or 10mm all the way through it and very little surface area to work with

|

8/9/2015 5:47 PM

I just checked the bolt that goes in it. It measures 12mm.

|

8/9/2015 6:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2015 6:12 PM

Guess all you can really do is find something barely smaller and hit it until it breaks loose. Try soaking it with CLR or WD40 or something as well. I don't know if CLR will eat the paint tho so be careful. I've never really had that problem tho growing up in Cali thankfully, other than a little rust here and there if I didn't pay attention for a while. I've heard the midwest/east coast is brutal on anything metal as car guys complain about it alot too

|

8/9/2015 6:27 PM

Its horrible. The salt eats everything. And its humid so u can't leave metal unpainted very long

|

8/9/2015 9:43 PM

What crank is it?

|

8/10/2015 6:50 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Rubber mallet

-Havok- wrote:

This if it's sticking. If you don't have one, use a board between the regular hammer to avoid damaging them. This also works ...more

Hammer for LAST RESORT on bearings.

You can get a bolt that is longer that your BB width and some big washers and use it as a bearing press, to avoid shock and installation being very crooked, causing damage. This way the bearings go in slower and more controlled.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/10/2015 7:23 AM

I don't need to change the bearings just remove my crank. And its the stock crank in a Hoffman bama

|

8/10/2015 10:35 AM

Either find an old socket that is EXACTLY the size of the spindle and rest that on it, and tap the socket with a hammer, OR tap the INSIDE of the crank arm you are trying to remove. THEN grease the crap out of the spindle before you put it back.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/10/2015 10:48 AM

That's a good idea. I didn't thank of using a socket. Thanks

|