Replace FBM Steadfast?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/21/2020 11:59 AM

Welp, its about that time to replace the ole'Steadfast. Now that FBM isnt around, I am looking for something that rides as close to the steadfast as possible. Just wondering what others have replaced theirs with? Right now looking at the:
- S&M Blackmagic
- Fit Heartbreak.

Ride a skate parks and indoors (mainly Rays and the Wheel Mill). I do not do any tech lip tricks, but more just flow around and with little airs, manuals, grinds etc.

What are you guys running?

|

8/21/2020 12:19 PM

The Hartbreaker looks cool IMO. If i buy a trail frame again, with the steadfast gone, it would be the Hartbreaker probably.. if you want to sell the steadfast, depending on price and TT , i may be interested, LMK.

|

8/21/2020 3:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2020 3:30 PM

Hartbreaker, blackmagic, ccr, and mod are the big trail frames I know of right now. They also remade the aitken s3.5, slightly more responsive but still pretty transition oriented. Funny, I actually rode a dudes bike yesterday who had a custom built aitken frame with a 21.75tt, probably the only one in the world like that it was a roast machine! Also look out for the 3/8” chainstays on the ccr. I had profiles already so the 75$ axle was no biggy for me to convert but if you aren’t close like that you could get caught with a frame and no rear wheel that fits it. The bikes plenty strong with 3/8 it’s a beast just FYI

|

8/21/2020 6:02 PM

I just hung up my Steadfast last week and replaced it with an S&M MOD frame. It’s just a tiny bit shorter in the rear and a tiny bit steeper in the head tube angle, hardly even noticeable to be honest. It feels great in the bowls and at the trails. Highly recommend!

|

8/21/2020 11:28 PM

Order a custom from John Corts (fbm's welder) at https://www.workfab.bike/

|

8/24/2020 4:31 AM

I'm a fan of my Radio Nemesis for cruising around. Just enough tech to be easy to crank around, but long enough to feel pretty steady at speed.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/24/2020 8:37 AM

I'll put my vote for the blackmagic. I was sitting between the hartbreaker and blackmagic as well.

It's a dope frame, the geometry is great for roasting and the colors it come in are dope.

The CCR will only fit a 3/8 axel, so buyer beware. The mod can fit 14, but doesn't have welded mounts or the cable pass through.

|

Come back with a warrant.

8/24/2020 10:25 AM

I’m torn between the Heartbreaker or Blackmagic. I definitely do not want shorter chain stays.

Heartbreaker has a slightly steeper HT angle which I doubt I will notice. Slightly longer CS, which I would like, BUT a slightly lower BB which i don’t know if I will notice.

The Black Magic has an even SLIGHTER mellow HT angle which I don’t think I would notice, and even longer CS. However, I think I read somewhere it has a longer head tube.

The custom frame is an option, have not ruled that out.

Thanks for all your input.

At 49, I definitely do not want to learn new geometry.

|

8/24/2020 11:05 AM

mistaare wrote:

I’m torn between the Heartbreaker or Blackmagic. I definitely do not want shorter chain stays.

Heartbreaker has a slightly steeper HT angle which I doubt I will notice. Slightly longer CS, which I would like, BUT a slightly lower BB which i don’t know if I will notice.

The Black Magic has an even SLIGHTER mellow HT angle which I don’t think I would notice, and even longer CS. However, I think I read somewhere it has a longer head tube.

I think if a big thing to point out between the HB/BM, is that if theres anything you will notice, I feel it will be the lower standover. Thats going to feel like you're more in the bike.

I measured my headtube on my BM and it's a 5" headtube.

I'd say, figure out the geometry you want to prioritize, and then get the one that has the most wiggle room. for example,

If you don't know how long you want your frame, the HB will give you quite a range of rear end, with 13.8 being shorter. While the BM will be 14.1 at it's shortest.

They're both quality S&M made, so you can't go wrong with either. And it seems anytime someone wants a trails frame, it's always between those 2 if they rule out the CCR/Mod varieties. If you think the geos are similar enough, just buy which ever one gets your more stoked to ride. I think Credence videos and the crew is a lot more fun to watch, and when I met matty/clint they were super chill.

Backbone/harti is dope too, but I just don't get drawn to their media as much. yknow?

|

8/24/2020 12:44 PM

mistaare wrote:

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

I think if a big thing to point out between the HB/BM, is that if theres anything you will notice, I feel it will be the lower standover. Thats going to feel like you're more in the bike.

I measured my headtube on my BM and it's a 5" headtube.

I'd say, figure out the geometry you want to prioritize, and then get the one that has the most wiggle room. for example,

If you don't know how long you want your frame, the HB will give you quite a range of rear end, with 13.8 being shorter. While the BM will be 14.1 at it's shortest.

They're both quality S&M made, so you can't go wrong with either. And it seems anytime someone wants a trails frame, it's always between those 2 if they rule out the CCR/Mod varieties. If you think the geos are similar enough, just buy which ever one gets your more stoked to ride. I think Credence videos and the crew is a lot more fun to watch, and when I met matty/clint they were super chill.

Backbone/harti is dope too, but I just don't get drawn to their media as much. yknow?

To be honest, standover height is the one thing I don’t know much about.

Back in the day, I don’t remember it being part of the geometry. Can expand on that a little?

Thanks a ton!

|

8/24/2020 12:47 PM

mistaare wrote:

To be honest, standover height is the one thing I don’t know much about.

Back in the day, I don’t remember it being part of the geometry. Can expand on that a little?

Thanks a ton!

Oops, I was reading/typing at the same time.

I meant the bottom bracket height being lower on the HB. My mistake.

|

8/25/2020 7:03 AM

If money is not an issue, why not get a custom with the same specs/tweak a few minor things?

Unless you can find a frame that checks all the necessary boxes of course.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2020 9:12 AM

I had a Steadfast and Hartbreaker built up at the same time. For rear end length I ran 13.9 on the Hartbreaker, and tried 13.75/13.9 on the Steadfast. Similar components on each bike.

Both bikes were really fun to ride. The Hartbreaker wanted to go straight, and was very stable. The 11.35 bottom bracket really puts you "in" the bike. The Steadfast felt more reactive, but not twitchy by any means. You can really tell the difference between the bottom bracket heights (11.35 vs 11.625). I ended up running the bars a little lower on the Hartbreaker, and also put a slightly bigger tire in the rear to give the feeling of a higher bb. I liked the Hartbreaker, but I think 11.5 is the lowest I want to go.

I sold both of those frames and ordered a custom FBM. The geometry is pretty similar to a Credence MOD. I basically wanted a Steadfast with a shorter rear end (11.55 slammed, 13.70 with 27-9), 74.5hta, 11.6 bb height, 9.125 stand over, welded seat stay mounts and 120mm head tube. Tubing was a little beefier than the Steadfast too. I am not a good rider by any means, and those details sound picky, but thats the geometry I came up with based on other frames I liked (Steadfast, Autopilot, FBM Credence, Villicus Prime, PW Moto, etc).

Depending on how long you like your chainstay, the Black Magic could be a good option. It would be closer to the steadfast than the hartbreaker. If you want something slightly shorter than the Steadfast, check out the MOD. For a few dollars more, John Corts can build you a custom https://www.instagram.com/jcortsmetalworks/

Let us know how it turns out.

|

8/25/2020 11:20 AM

I'm a huge S&M fanboy, but it seems like it would make more sense having the former FBM welder make you a custom for the $60, or so difference.

|

9/29/2020 5:04 AM

So I went with the S&M BM. Buying components this week. Is there even a market for used bikes? Hopefully a 4 yo bike ridden for a 49 yo father will be a big selling point. 😂

|

9/29/2020 5:35 AM

mistaare wrote:

So I went with the S&M BM. Buying components this week. Is there even a market for used bikes? Hopefully a 4 yo bike ridden for a 49 yo father will be a big selling point. 😂

id be interested in your steadfast depending on price,,,, LMK.

|

9/29/2020 6:11 AM

mistaare wrote:

Hell yeah, what color did you end up getting?

|

9/30/2020 4:52 PM

mistaare wrote:

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

Hell yeah, what color did you end up getting?

I have to see what used bikes are going for. Madera hubs, profile race cranks, push stem, odyssey 411 9” rise bars, Evo II brakes, deluxe sealed bearing pedals, odyssey R32 forks...

I got white, with all black components. That way my kid might be able to find me easier when we are riding parks!😂

|

9/30/2020 5:23 PM

Definitely a market for used parts especially if they’re quality. You’d have no problem selling that fbm frame

|