Restoring cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

12/11/2015 7:45 PM

I have an old pair of gt 3 piece cranks. Circa 1997. I got them from my friend who used the wrong type of polish and ruined the finish. I would like to paint them black. Has anyone ever done this? how do you recommend i go about this? And do you think it is worth the effort?Photo

Photo

Photo

|

12/11/2015 9:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2015 9:14 PM

Well there 4130 ur prob gonna get a bunch of diff answers on here but imo id take a wire brush or a wire wheel on the end of a drill and just keep working at em with that they may turn out better than u think instead of painting em but if u so still choose to do that after u get em nice and smoothed out clean em off with some acetone or alchol let em dry good than spray em black with thin coats so it can build up on the cranks just make sure ir standing far enough away from em that u dont get paint swirls or what some call fish eye but imo there awesome and vintage use em and screw what haters think and goodluck post how they come out for u

|

Built to abuse

12/11/2015 9:14 PM

Sandblast then powdercoat

|

12/11/2015 9:20 PM

I agree with biggybuggy but its gonna cost more but well worth it unless u know someone with the equipment i just do the shit myself any more so i know its done right but to each his own

|

Built to abuse

12/12/2015 8:30 AM

Dont do anything to them! They are sought after in the collector community. Survivor condition brings more money than refinished.

|

12/12/2015 4:10 PM

If you're trying to ride them, clean em up. I'd just try to strip any chrome or rust off of them and re do them in chrome or black. It's isn't too hard with something like a crank arm. Frames are a bitch though. Should only take a couple hours.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/14/2015 8:05 AM

Thanks guys, I don't have access to a sandblaster. And how do you strip them? And what kind of paint should I use? Spray paint? That doesn't seem too durable. I have never done this type of work before. thanks

|

12/15/2015 4:04 AM

Now my opinion may be judged heavily but....

I would scuff them up with a wire wheel or at least sandpaper as best you can and then wipe them down with some alcohol. Then I'd lay a coat of primer on them. After primer drys give it a very very light sand and start laying thin coats of your paint over the primer. Make sure you wait until each coat flashes (gets shiny to duller) before applying your next coat (probably 10ish minutes, maybe less). Once you have good coverage, throw a couple coats of clear over the paint, following the same guidelines (just don't sand).

Make sure it is warm but not too warm where you are painting or your paint will drip, you probably want mid 60s

Make sure you keep a consistent 10ish inches between the can and cranks.

Now I know people say painting chrome like this does not work and the paint won't stick. But I have done it before and if you do things carefully and correctly it can last for a pretty long time.

|

If it ain't broke...

12/15/2015 4:39 AM

^that will work, use etching primer as it creates a stronger bond against the chrome. A lot of custom motorcycle shops do this sort of thing fairly regularly. You'll probably still get a bit of paint rub. Just use a good few coats of good quality laquer to help with that. Take careful note of drying times between coats and it will be less likely to peel

|

12/15/2015 6:31 AM

ok, this is great. Thanks. Can you be a little bit more specific about what products to use? Exactly what type of spray paint, clear coat, primer, etc. Clear coat comes in a can? Laquer?

I'm not looking to set a record with this stuff, It's more about stopping the element that is eating away at the cranks, and protecting them. They are going on my spare cruiser, which is orange, so black would look better than chrome IMO. They are also 185mm and thought that would be better suited for the bigger frame.

thanks again.

|

12/15/2015 6:38 AM

I would use Krylon or Rustoleom cans.

Just make sure you don't put a laquer clear over enamel paint or it will crack.

I would use a gray primer since your painting black.

|

If it ain't broke...

12/15/2015 6:52 AM

A lot of hardware stores should have etching primer, it stinks so make sure you're somewhere well ventilated! I don't know what brands you have where you are. But a known brand car spray, and laquer (clear coat) should be available from a lot of places. Just don't use cheap stuff. Make sure you key up the chrome using sandpaper (not too rough though, otherwise you'll see the marks through the paint) and take off any of the flakey bits. Make sure it's all fully degreased too.

I'm not too sure how good powder coating is over chrome, but if there's someone near you that does it, it may be cheaper than rattle canning it yourself.
A place near me used to do cheap stuff through the back door. I got a frame sand blasted and powder coated for £20 a few years ago. It'll cost nearly £30 to do the above method. Might be worth asking around before you go ahead with it?

|

12/15/2015 6:54 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

A lot of hardware stores should have etching primer, it stinks so make sure you're somewhere well ventilated! I don't know what brands you have where you are. But a known brand car spray, and laquer (clear coat) should be available from a lot of places. Just don't use cheap stuff. Make sure you key up the chrome using sandpaper (not too rough though, otherwise you'll see the marks through the paint) and take off any of the flakey bits. Make sure it's all fully degreased too.

I'm not too sure how good powder coating is over chrome, but if there's someone near you that does it, it may be cheaper than rattle canning it yourself.
A place near me used to do cheap stuff through the back door. I got a frame sand blasted and powder coated for £20 a few years ago. It'll cost nearly £30 to do the above method. Might be worth asking around before you go ahead with it?

I would def look into this first.

|

If it ain't broke...

12/15/2015 7:07 AM

My friend has a body repair shop but I'm not sure when he can get around to it. He said he has the stuff to prime and paint, so I just need to prepare it for that. So maybe I will just sand it all, then clean it all with rubbing alcohol, then wait for him. If he takes too long I think I have enough info here to do a decent job.

Thanks guys.

|

12/15/2015 7:10 AM

johnduff86 wrote:

My friend has a body repair shop but I'm not sure when he can get around to it. He said he has the stuff to prime and paint, so I just need to prepare it for that. So maybe I will just sand it all, then clean it all with rubbing alcohol, then wait for him. If he takes too long I think I have enough info here to do a decent job.

Thanks guys.

Sounds good, only wait on the alcohol until just prior to painting. You don't want it getting dusty again.

|

If it ain't broke...

12/15/2015 7:39 AM

right! thanks

|