Return to BMX Racing

Related:
Create New Tag

7/2/2020 6:03 AM

Hey All,

New to the site. Raced as a kid, looking to get back on a bike. Debating track vs mountain bike. Maybe both eventually. I’m 32 and 5’11” 180 lbs.

My main question is whether I can tune up an old Elf cruiser, or just bite the bullet and find a good used or new bike. Pictures are below. Brakes and tires are a must. Rims are 1 3/8” and I’m not sure if I can just put wider tires on, or if I’ll need new rims. Frame length seems to fit at 21”. From what I’ve gathered from other posts Is that modern bikes are far superior, but I’m really just looking for a low entry point cost wise for the time being. I’ll still have costs for helmet, gear, bike rack, membership, etc. I’m not opposed to a newer bike in the future especially if the competitive juices start flowing and I maybe travel to some local races, but I’m hesitant to spend $400-600 on a bike initially and it not stick.

Any insight or advice helps. Thanks!
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

7/2/2020 6:06 AM

Buy a used race bike from the track. always good deals to be had you can't put much bigger tires one those rims. more of an Expert Cruiser wheel set. 180lbs too big.

|

7/2/2020 6:17 AM

jmz313 wrote:

Buy a used race bike from the track. always good deals to be had you can't put much bigger tires one those rims. more of an Expert Cruiser wheel set. 180lbs too big.

Thanks for insight. Another question I should have asked, is cruiser the way to go or should I be looking at a 20”?

|

7/2/2020 7:52 PM

jlanman4 wrote:

Thanks for insight. Another question I should have asked, is cruiser the way to go or should I be looking at a 20”?

I’d get a 20 but you can run any size bike in Novice.

|

7/3/2020 4:53 AM

jmz313 wrote:

jlanman4 wrote:

Check your local track out-sometimes they have loaner bikes you can borrow or rent for a day-we did that for my son one year.

I also know locally, depending on the amount of riders for your age group, you might get tossed in with people on cruisers etc. just to have enough to race.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/7/2020 8:05 PM

Sold for $300. Thanks for the help!

|