Reusing a Shadow Conspiracy V2 chain

Related:
Create New Tag

6/21/2017 3:20 PM

I have tried to source this info searching the net but haven't really gotten an understandable answer. I have a bike that I'm scavenging parts off of to build up another, I'm trying to re-use everything I can. There is a Shadow COnspiracy V2 half link chain that I'd like to break and put on the new build, but I need some help. I can't seem to identify the master pin on the V2, all of the pins seem to look the same. Any help or advice on reusing this chain on a different set-up would be appreciated.

|

6/21/2017 4:19 PM

May have been put together without the master pin link. I've done this before and have had no issues with years of use. I don't ride an extremely tight chain either

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

6/21/2017 4:37 PM

The Horror Contact wrote:

May have been put together without the master pin link. I've done this before and have had no issues with years of use. I ...more

Thank you for the info, much appreciated.

|

6/21/2017 4:57 PM

I only ran my Shadow chain for about a week, but if I remember correctly the master pin was slightly longer than the others. Basically, hover over the top of chain and rotate it 'til you find a longer one. If it's there anyway.

|

6/22/2017 1:17 AM

I wouldn't reuse it. I had an old shadow halflink that was stretched so bad it ruined my sprocket. You would be much better off with even a cheap Walmart chain.

|

6/22/2017 6:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2017 6:44 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

I wouldn't reuse it. I had an old shadow halflink that was stretched so bad it ruined my sprocket. You would be much better ...more

thids

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

6/24/2017 9:48 AM

shadow halflinks have a love/hate relationship among BMX. If you have a chain breaker then you could easily bust that chain off the old frame and get it locked onto the new one. I would do what GMG said and try to find the master pin first tho. Just make sure you put the chain on the right way so you dont mess up your drivetrain, there is a stupid amount of people who do lol

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

6/25/2017 1:04 PM

I appreciate the help/suggestions/advice from all of you- thank you. Basically I am just trying to re-use anything I can off the "donor" bike to save some $$$ and not have that purchase be a total waste. I'm also using the front sprocket and cranks from the donor, so I'm not too worried about messing up the front sprocket, but I did buy a new rear wheel for the build and would hate to wreck that for the price of a chain. I know the correct orientation of the chain so I'm not worried about that, but are there other ways reusing this chain could affect the rear sprocket?

|

6/25/2017 10:19 PM

Andy_T wrote:

I appreciate the help/suggestions/advice from all of you- thank you. Basically I am just trying to re-use anything I can off ...more

I wouldn't worry too much about the driver, your sprocket and chain are way more prone to wearing because they are made of softer materials. Your new back wheel - If its decent quality then it will probably have a chromoly driver, and those are extremely tough to wear or break. I say just have your sprocket and driver aligned and your chain in good condition and you will not have any problems.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

6/26/2017 5:33 PM

Slaytanic Wehrmacht 666 wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about the driver, your sprocket and chain are way more prone to wearing because they are made of ...more

Thank you!

It may not matter much in the long run though. I twisted a hex key trying to get one of the old pedals off the cranks...one came off, one isn't budging. Tried heat, liquid wrench, etc and it isn't moving. My parts should be here tomorrow so I'll put the old pedal back on and build it up but ithis just means that I'll likely be getting some new cranks, a new front sprocket and a new chain.

Looks like the reliable parts I got off the donor bike are a SC front wheel, SC stem and SC captive forks....everything else is pretty trashed.

|

6/27/2017 8:26 AM

If you got a new wheel, why not spend $10 on a new chain? It won't ruin the driver right away but if it's stretched it will stretch the teeth eventually. I don't see the risk being worth saving 10 bucks, or even $30, but it's your bike...

|

6/27/2017 2:12 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

If you got a new wheel, why not spend $10 on a new chain? It won't ruin the driver right away but if it's stretched it will ...more

Of course you are right. No sense in damaging a new expensive part by reusing an old cheap part. I bought a bike from a guy and he repped it as "all good" a couple broken spokes on the rear wheel was all I noticed, but just took a quick look as I trusted him. After I had it a day or so I figured out it's mostly trashed. Just wanted to try and save what parts I could so I didn't feel totally ripped off, but you're right. I figured out last night that I'll quite likely need some new cranks, so I'll get a new sprocket and chain with that order.

|

6/27/2017 4:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2017 5:39 PM

Here's a pic of the progress
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Just ordered cranks sprocket and chain so all should be good with this build soon.

|