Rider Weight

Related:
Create New Tag

7/12/2016 5:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2016 10:18 PM

So, this is my first post so here we go. I am a very light rider, im 13 and weigh only 88 pounds! (40 kilos) I am very skinny. Anyway everybody says my bike is extremely light it is only around 24 pounds. And as i am light my bike feels weird. I was just wondering whether the weight of the rider changes the riding experience, and if so should i get heavier parts if i am very light so my bike has more control and stability or should i keep it light.

|

7/12/2016 10:59 PM

That's not really that light to be honest. Just keep it as it is. Your strength, and the geometry of the frame/bar height has a bigger affect on how a bike rides than its weight

|

7/13/2016 12:01 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

That's not really that light to be honest. Just keep it as it is. Your strength, and the geometry of the frame/bar height has ...more

Really? Most my friends say its sketchy and too light.

|

7/13/2016 12:44 AM

you can still ride a light bike if your heavy so the same must go for light and light. check out my mates instagram @homzzy89 and watch some of his clips of riding, he is big put still rides and its so good to help him progress

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

7/13/2016 1:00 AM

Malik G wrote:

Really? Most my friends say its sketchy and too light.

My previous bike was 21lbs, and it was too light and felt sketchy. My current bike is about the same as yours but with better geometry, so it's just as easy to chuck around but feels solid and more stable. Really short chainstays or big bars make a bike feel sketchy. I experimented with bar height to get it perfect, and have a 13.2" chainstay. That's a full link shorter than the light bike.
At the end of the day, it's more about how you feel on the bike. If you like it and it suits what you ride, leave it!

|

7/13/2016 3:18 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

My previous bike was 21lbs, and it was too light and felt sketchy. My current bike is about the same as yours but with better ...more

ok, what suze bars u got i have 9.25 and cant really afford to buy new ones atm :/

|

7/13/2016 4:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/13/2016 4:27 AM

9" with a fly central stem which is 14mm rise. A fair bit lower than most people like these days and I'm 6' tall. If you've got a topload you could flip it upside down and see how it feels. It might make things feel like more effort but it'll be more stable. Or if you only want try slightly lower you could lose a spacer. It's all personal preference really, but having your bars slightly lower might help.

On my light bike I had 8.5" bars and a 30mm rise stem so it was a very similar height. The longer back end made it feel more stable when going fast, but for more technical stuff the weight felt like I couldn't land anything solidly. The extra weight and shorter chainstay with average height bars feels dialled for me, but that's just my preference

|

7/13/2016 4:30 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

9" with a fly central stem which is 14mm rise. A fair bit lower than most people like these days and I'm 6' tall. If you've ...more

ok thanks might try it out

|

7/13/2016 8:15 AM

you weight 88 pounds. YOU are light. a lighter bike would be easier for you to ride. it's simple physics.

you can't compare any other rider to you/your bike UNLESS they are the same height/weight as you.

Just ride your bike and have fun.

|

7/13/2016 5:53 PM

If you watch smaller riders on 20" bikes, such as someone like you, the riding will mostly always look sketchy since the bike is much bigger than them and they don't have the muscle to properly handle the bike.

On YouTube, The Come Up has a video of a 12-year-old named Lochlainn O'Leary. He rides a 20" bike, and, if you watch the edit, his riding is just a bit sketchy. DON'T get me wrong, he's an incredible rider and has most definitely progressed from that video, but compared to the much older riders, O'Leary's handling makes the bike look "heavy" as you see it.

If you want to see someone with 110% handling of a bike, look up Ola Selsjord, haha!

I'm 100 pounds, 16 y/o, so I ty to make things as light as my budget lets me. It's around 24 lbs. like yours. But in the end, like everyone here said, just ride it, you'll certainly grow.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/13/2016 5:55 PM

readybmxer wrote:

If you watch smaller riders on 20" bikes, such as someone like you, the riding will mostly always look sketchy since the bike ...more

Ok man, thanks!

|