Riding in the rain with breaks

Related:
Create New Tag

11/9/2017 4:30 AM

So, I went today to work, with my bike, even though it was raining.
Long story short, I fucked up the paint from my rim, it was red now it's all silver laughing

Visual aspect aside, will this afect my breaking power in anyway? good or bad

|

11/9/2017 4:31 AM

Pull the brakes and find out...

|

11/9/2017 4:34 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Pull the brakes and find out...

Currently in the office and it's still raining, but the waiting is killing me laughing

|

11/9/2017 4:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 4:49 AM

No, it is a simple friction system. You pull the lever, the cable pulls the brake calipers, the pads squeeze the rim to slow down. The color isn't aiding in your stopping power. Water just sorta helps the "grit" your pads and wheels pick up slide between the two & work as sandpaper, which is why your finish came off. That would have happened eventually, anyway & was probably already happening, you just hadn't really noticed it yet. So, if it isn't raining when you leave work, your brakes will return to normal.... although they may sound like you are braking with sand between your pads and rim initially. Wipe them down before you ride again. If you have the time & mechanical ability, take your pads off & clean them too.

|

11/9/2017 9:43 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

No, it is a simple friction system. You pull the lever, the cable pulls the brake calipers, the pads squeeze the rim to slow ...more

Before heading back home I cleaned the rims and pads, as it wasn't raining anymore
But when I got out of the parking lot (underground) lo and behold ... it was raining again!

So without further ado this is how my rim looks now:
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

11/10/2017 8:35 AM

When they are wet, MAYBE. But when dry it shouldn't really change anything.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/10/2017 10:50 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'm afraid it does.

My guess is that because it changed the surface of the rim but not the pads as it would when the wear comes naturally over time.

I can't lock the wheel anymore, when breaking.

I'll give it a few weeks to see how it evolves and maybe I'll get a new rim

|

11/10/2017 1:04 PM

Clear pads will help a lot. If you get a new rim, the same thing will happen again. Unless your into chrome, don't bother. Just get softer pads. If it's a visual thing, ride brakeless next time, because you can't run brakes, and have clean shiny rims. Even chrome starts to look like shit eventually.

|

11/10/2017 1:05 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

am-shaegar wrote:

I'm afraid it does.

My guess is that because it changed the surface of the rim but not the pads as it would when the wear ...more

Clean your pads. They likely have dirt on them.

The last anodized rim I had that did that actually got better when the ano was off it. But I cleaned my brake pads reasonably often.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/10/2017 1:56 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Clear pads will help a lot. If you get a new rim, the same thing will happen again. Unless your into chrome, don't bother. ...more

The funny thing is that for 2 months of daily riding I had absolutely no fade in color or scratch.

That's why I'm so upset about this laughing

|

11/10/2017 1:59 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Clear pads will help a lot. If you get a new rim, the same thing will happen again. Unless your into chrome, don't bother. ...more

am-shaegar wrote:

The funny thing is that for 2 months of daily riding I had absolutely no fade in color or scratch.

That's why I'm so upset ...more

The water works as a "wet sanding lubricant". All the grit stays on the area & the sanded stuff washes away.

|

11/10/2017 2:00 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

The last anodized rim I had that did that actually got better when the ano ...more

I did clean them:
Photo

That was what I initially thought, that at least the breaking will be better laughing

|

11/10/2017 2:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2017 2:03 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The water works as a "wet sanding lubricant". All the grit stays on the area & the sanded stuff washes away.

Yeah, learned this the hard way grin

One thing is for sure, I won't be using my brake anymore when I ride in rainy days

|

11/10/2017 2:37 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

I'm afraid it does.

My guess is that because it changed the surface of the rim but not the pads as it would when the wear ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

The last anodized rim I had that did that actually got better when the ano ...more

am-shaegar wrote:

I did clean them:
Photo

That was what I initially thought, that at least the breaking will be better laughing

Thats the absolute biggest brake pad ive ever seen...

|

4/8/2018 7:17 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Thats the absolute biggest brake pad ive ever seen...

I believe they actually are the biggest laughing

An update to this thread.

It's been a few months now, and my rim has seen other rainy days.
To keep it short, it does alter your breaking performance.
In a bad way.

It no longer has a flat surface for the pad to grip on, and instead it has small ridges that cut into the pad and make it slide.
A softer compound pad may help, but those might squeak laughing

I wonder it I would put a very fine grit sandpaper between the rim and the pads, like 400 - 600, if that would make it better whistling

|

4/8/2018 8:45 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

I believe they actually are the biggest laughing

An update to this thread.

It's been a few months now, and my rim has seen other ...more

I have to imagine that yes, if you were really careful and kept bumping up in grit, you can get back to a very fine smooth and ridgeless surface by sanding and removing all the remaining anodization.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/8/2018 9:46 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I have to imagine that yes, if you were really careful and kept bumping up in grit, you can get back to a very fine smooth and ...more

I will give it a go.
It can't get much worse than how it is now laughing

|

4/8/2018 10:21 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

I will give it a go.
It can't get much worse than how it is now laughing

You make a good point though. Automobile brakes work if they’re ridged a bit because presumably the pad has bedded into the rotor in sort of negative/positive cast mold.

But since the rim now has very small ridges that an outside element (grit and water) created that’s washed away, there’s all these little divots in the anodization that aren’t making contact with the pad.

Give it a shot! My rear rim looks similar to yours (although it’s black) and I’d love to be able to lock up my rear wheel again. Let us know the results.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/9/2018 4:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2018 4:05 PM

This is why IMHO chrome rims are superior. Water doesn't waterpaper it to hell and best braking performance of any rim type.
On a side note, they're heavier (slightly) and patina really fast.
Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't currently have chrome rims because budget haha.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/10/2018 5:33 AM

Are your pads toed in? Have the front edge touch slightly before the rear. They work better.

Clear pads work better, and if you adjust correctly, they don't squeak (Source, I have run clear pads for like 8 years on ano rims and now black rims).

My rims are scratched to hell and back from clipping on rails etc, but no wear on the finish like yours. Same went for my last set of red rims. No brake wear after a few years.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/10/2018 9:38 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Are your pads toed in? Have the front edge touch slightly before the rear. They work better.

Clear pads work better, and if ...more

Believe it or not, but it actually works better for me if I have the rear touch slightly before the front. I use clear pads too, better for stopping but not so good for feathering.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican