Riding with diabetes

Related:
Create New Tag

5/13/2016 10:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2016 10:37 AM

Okay, so this subject has been laying around in my head. I have diabetes....and for those of you who dont know, when certain things are badly neglected, after long periods of time, complications may occur (cancer, kidney problems, the eventual need to amputate a hand/foot in extreme situations). And all of them basically appear from the bad management of blood sugar levels in my body. Anyway, I was wondering...since riding takes physical effort and effort decreases blood sugar levels pretty easily and can produce instability at times, is this lovely hobby worth investing time in? I mean if bad stuff can happen because i do the only thing i love to do on this earth...is it worth continuing? I have been YOLO-ing for four years now and have not thought about it until now. I know its kind of a tough subject and maybe its not okay posting it around here, but i dont keep in touch with my doctor at all, so im curious what your opinion is. Thanks :-)

|

5/13/2016 11:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2016 11:20 AM

I have Type 2 diabetes, and riding has helped me pretty much get rid of it....meaning that my A1C number is now below the level where I am considered Diabetic. Though, once diagnosed, you always have it. For Type 2 - which is where your body makes too much insulin, physical activity is encouraged to burn off the extra sugar/insulin. Also, I am supposed to watch what I eat, which I will admit I am pretty bad at, but the physical activity allows me to be stupid with my food intake....stupid being the part I need to fix.

Talk to your doctor for sure about it, but my doctor said that the more fit I am, the less I will be effected by Diabetes. You have to keep in touch with your doctor. I hate hospitals/doctors etc, but in this case it really is life or death if you don't. And I would rather be alive to ride then dead to not do anything....

Also, he said the number one thing I have going for me was that I have never drank, smoked or done drugs (thank you Straight Edge!!! [since 1981]). 100% of the patients he sees who have done these activities have almost no chance of controlling it or surviving it in the end. Alcohol is especially bad b/c it is pretty much sugar.

Funny that when I found out I had it, and he said that I had to exercise, and I immediately thought...bike riding. I already play hockey so I had that going for me. I hate running, weight rooms, gyms, indoor anything, so biking was natural.

I have noticed that when I get cut, scraped, dented...whatever, it does take longer to heal, and the scars are more evident...which to me is cool....back in the day, if you didn't have battle scars you weren't trying hard enough.

The big thing is do not be so afraid of it that it stops your life. It was one of the first things that made me feel like I was "old" in my life...now, 10 years later, i actually am in better shape and spirits than I was in my mid 30's...and definitely in my 20's and teens.

Hope this helps in some way

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/13/2016 12:36 PM

I'm sure it can't really be a bad thing, as long as you keep an eye on your blood sugar levels. I keep meaning to have tests done to see if I'm diabetic. I'm tired most of the time, constantly crave sugar, and suffer really bad migraines (struggled with them for years but have them kind of under control after working out the triggers and taking beta blockers daily. Even though the beta blockers make me even more tired than usual).
Anyway, keeping in touch with a doctor will give you all the info you need as to how often you should ride and what you can do to keep yourself riding. If it wasn't for me pestering my doctor I could still be having 3 day long migraines almost every weekend! They can help.

|

5/13/2016 4:13 PM

Seriously it's a nothing matter. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have never had a problem? Low blood sugar happens with any high impact sport so just prepare, have food and drink on you at all times.

|

5/14/2016 3:40 AM

Thanks to everyone that replied, especially to sXeBMXer for the huge and kind reply. I dont really like seeing doctors and hospitals. Id rather see about it and correct it myself as i do know more about my body and my situation. I do tend to learn from my mistakes. Diabetes is really a hit or miss thing, with insulin and blood sugar levels, but anyways...i will continue to ride and learn. Thanks again for the kind replies :-)

|

5/16/2016 1:28 PM

I can't speak to diabetes, but I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer about 2 months ago. YOLO the fuck out of it man. I'm going through chemo right now and riding has lifted my spirits the way nothing else can. I don't have anything else to add, but just know that you aren't the only one having a shit time. I'm pulling for ya homey. Ride that shit until the wheels fall off.

|

5/16/2016 2:46 PM

Nosferatu443 wrote:

Thanks to everyone that replied, especially to sXeBMXer for the huge and kind reply. I dont really like seeing doctors and ...more

"Id rather see about it and correct it myself as i do know more about my body and my situation"

I feel that way about things like breaks, bumps, and bruises.. When I had my elbow shattered by a slap shot playing hockey, I didn't go to a doc or hospital or anything...just let it heal itself. (Didn't have insurance at the time...thanks non-socialized medicine!)). It is a bit crunchy now, but still works. Diabetes is bigger than that though. You have to see the doc to get the meds and some other things to help regulate it. just like the cancer that joelalamo45 mentioned...somethings you just have to let science deal with.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/16/2016 3:38 PM

Yeah my thought is, living to not die isn't living. Take your meds, stay healthy and ride your f'ing bike. I was told, and I'm sure this is the same with other killer diseases, is that your attitude is huge when it comes to recovery. Being positive cant do anything but help things. Ride on, brother.

|

5/17/2016 4:49 AM

My cousin has Diabetes. Hes 15 years old and he has never had an issue with riding and his blood sugar. If you are still skeptical just make sure you check your blood sugar more often just to keep an eye on things

|