Riding with glasses – dealing with sweat and fog

Related:
Create New Tag

4/7/2016 11:12 PM

Hi,

Who here rides with glasses/sunglasses? I ride with either depending on the time of day and they are continually getting fogged up and sweaty – like every few minutes I have to wipe them off.

Is there anything to avoid this? Do I just have particularly sweaty eyes or something, or does everyone have this happen?

I can’t wear contacts because I have this problem in one eye, so I often just wear no glasses and deal with things being a bit blurry.

Thanks
Skitter

|

4/8/2016 12:03 AM

Probably have to get new glasses , that Crizel or Clear Contacts or that generic bullshit name I see on commercials all the time .. either way they should help.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/8/2016 12:37 AM

I have the same problem with contacts. Messed up one eye and its not round enough for a contact to seat. Try getting glasses with the pads that sit on your nose and sit away from your face a bit. Also look for ones that have smaller lenses that dont come too close to your brows and cheeks. The heat and moisture from your face will flow away better. Also go for the coatings when your buying prescriptions. The anti scratch and all that. I think it helps a lot.

Good luck. I know it can be pricey to find what works... Like new bike pricey!

|

4/8/2016 1:46 AM

My biggest problem is keeping my glasses on my head, but the Memphis humidity also fogs my glasses like crazy (sweat drips in them also).

I'm slightly near sighted, so I usually ride without them. I can't make out fine details from far away (like the lettering on signs), but don't really need to when i'm out riding.

I've tried glasses with built in anti-fogging and stuff that you apply to your glasses, but they still would fog like crazy. That was a couple of years ago, so maybe they have better stuff available these days.

|

4/8/2016 3:51 AM

I meant when you buy the glasses buy the coating options. I'm not sure butI think it's the reason my last couple pairs dont fog much.

For christmas I got a pair of oakly racing jacket glasses from my father inlaw. He didnt realize the shades I wear when I road ride with him were prescription. Anyways they seem to not fog up on me and they are very ligt. Also they come with a strap to go around your head to keep them on. After going for a few road rides in them I checked to see if you can get prescription lenses for them and you can. Not sure how it works though. You might have to send your prescription to oaky. You might want to consider them. I think their weight, comfy yet snug fit and the strap would make them good for bmx and pretty much any other sport.

|

4/8/2016 6:06 AM

I have never ever experienced this and im going on a slid thirteen years with glasses. only fogs coming inside from a cold day.

|

Real riding from the streets of Windsor, Ontario.
Video in the works...stay tuned
Follow:Instagram

@4piece4pegshit

4/8/2016 6:58 AM

Ive see basketball players use these:

https://www.ezcontactsusa.com/index.php?action=item&id=2796242&individual=all&color=Shiny+Black%234&size=55-20-130&&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrZ24BRC098fr-OqnuMkBEiQAKQ9lgN5-CR0BTwaITWHPeIW0ISST4wvOi3NF1H29oQLUukcaAmCx8P8HAQ

sucks that you can't use contacts, its a relief being able to ride without worrying about your glasses.
Have you considered getting lasik eye surgery?

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

4/8/2016 12:54 PM

I'm in Australia and it's been brutally hot this summer

I use a strap made from neoprene to keep them on my face., only a couple of dollars from an optometrist shop.

I'm going to try using one of my smaller pairs to see if that helps by having less lens for the humidity to build up behind.

I'll also ask about pads to keep them further off my face.

I'm hoping to get laser eye surgery later this year which will be awesome

Thanks all

|

1/28/2017 8:23 AM

I have the same problem, but only during the winter. Any other time of year its not that much of an issue. Maybe just wiping some sweat off once in a while. If you have this problem year round, you might want to try some different frames.

|

1/28/2017 10:26 AM

The person who brought this thread back from the dead "MichelleHall" is a spammer

|

1/30/2017 7:46 PM

No glasses for me, but sunglasses once in awhile, they all tend to interfere with my helmet, so usually it is squinting time.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/31/2017 10:35 AM

I don't know if this would work, but could you try using anti-fog like whats used for car windows on your lenses?

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

1/31/2017 2:15 PM

I just went to my first consultation for LASIK. Glasses suck.

|

5/5/2017 2:27 AM

I'll tell you an old biker trick that works, get some liquid dish soap, here in the UK we use Fairy Liquid, put a TINY amount on a cloth and rub it in to the Inside of the visor/glasses, you can use too much and it will distort the vision as it leaves "lines" on the glass, but your looking to just get a super thin "residue" on them and leave them to dry, this will reduce the amount of fogging up

|

5/5/2017 1:12 PM

hmmm. mine usually don't fall off b/c of the way my helmet fits over them...and it is weird, but I never remember having problems with fogging up etc....might be b/c I prefer to ride in the winter/cold. Honestly until this thread, I never even think about my glasses being on. I wear differrnt ones for MTBing, but would not wear those on BMX

Now they will probably fog up all the time....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/6/2017 2:22 AM

Has any one tried rainx cause that shit works like magic on car Windows.. ..

|

5/6/2017 7:10 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Has any one tried rainx cause that shit works like magic on car Windows.. ..

i used to use that on my hockey face mask and the smell made me sick. I also know that on my glasses, it would ruin the glare-resistant coating they put on it, which sort of doesn't work anyway, but still....can't get over the smell

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence