Rim Strength? (not as nooby of a question)

Related:
Create New Tag

10/31/2013 10:43 PM

So i have been looking at a few different rims to possibly lace my rear wheel to, I have a single wall Alienation PBR right now and it has a hop... so would a rim like

the stolen revolver... https://www.danscomp.com/products/420121/Stolen_Revolver_Rim.html

and the g sport rollcage..... https://www.danscomp.com/products/422044/G-Sport_Rollcage_Rim.html

yes i know, comparing a stolen to the g sport but my real question is... could the size of the actual hollow chamber with how large it is help with the variances in strength, like the stolen looks really low profile but the double wall is actually a bit thicker... while the g sport looks a little higher profile and the double wall area is larger but thinner?

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

10/31/2013 10:47 PM

At first I was like, "noob question" but then I kept reading, and now im like, "smart dude". But I think the design of the g-sport gives it a better structural integrity and allows it to shed some weight with the thinner walls.

|

10/31/2013 10:56 PM

The gsport uses cross lacing (look at where the spoke holes are located vs the revolver) Which means the spokes each side of the rollcage lace to the oposite side of the rim. Apparently this creates a 'stiffer' wheel. Also the revolver it pinned whereas the rollcage is welded.. that's another plus.

the Ribcage goes a step further adding a.... 'rib'.. for extra nipple support. I love mine.
Photo

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

10/31/2013 11:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/31/2013 11:10 PM

hah that's funny. The Revolver and Gsport both claim to be stiffer, but they have like opposite spoke hole designs. I think companies just like to use terms like 'stiffer' to sell you their shit. Experience is always best.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

10/31/2013 11:13 PM

BMXism wrote:

hah that's funny. The Revolver and Gsport both claim to be stiffer, but they have like opposite spoke hole designs. I think companies just like to use terms like 'stiffer' to sell you their shit. Experience is always best.

I'd go g-sport.

|

10/31/2013 11:25 PM

I'd go with the G-Sport personally just because it has a better rep & is tried & trued. The box design question does raise a good question

|

11/1/2013 12:49 AM

I have a Stolen Revolver on the back. Not bad for the price, but having rode it I can definitely say it is a lot weaker than a Rollcage.

|

11/1/2013 1:04 AM

I've never ridden anything but 2 revolvers ( came with my complete) and I feel they are pretty decent but I have no other experience with rims.

|

bicycle more like bikecycle

11/1/2013 10:32 AM

Alienation 7ups on sale $30 on dans. Stiffer and stronger than Ody hazards. Never run Gsport so no comment, but my 7ups are beastly.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/1/2013 10:44 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Alienation 7ups on sale $30 on dans. Stiffer and stronger than Ody hazards. Never run Gsport so no comment, but my 7ups are beastly.

what sort of riding you put them through? The price of alienation rims is so tempting, and they always seem to be on sale somewhere :L

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

11/1/2013 11:53 AM

EddiMundo wrote:

what sort of riding you put them through? The price of alienation rims is so tempting, and they always seem to be on sale somewhere :L

Mostly street. I used to true my hazards once evrry two months. Haven't touched my 7ups in a year

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/1/2013 10:57 PM

Ask crazy Clark..he's an expert on rims.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12