Rim moving up and down problems

Related:
Create New Tag

9/4/2018 5:13 PM

Hey guys, I just got back from the shop and put my new nasa rim on my bike, when I spin it, I notice that there is up and down movement, does anyone know how to fix this?

|

9/4/2018 5:41 PM

Guyman22 wrote:

Hey guys, I just got back from the shop and put my new nasa rim on my bike, when I spin it, I notice that there is up and down ...more

I think you might be referring to a "hop" in the wheel. Basically you find the high and low points and tighten the spokes to pull the rim closer to the hub on the highest points and loosen the spokes on the low points.

When I take hops out of the wheel I take the tire off and re-mount the wheel to the dropouts and place a zip tie so its barely touching the tip of the rim (sexual). Spin the wheel and you will see and hear the high points.

You might notice your wheel is a bit out of true after you fix the hop. All you do is put that same zip tie in the sidewall of the rim and do the same thing. When it touches the zip tie, tighten the 2 (or however many) spokes that pull the opposite way.

|

9/4/2018 5:42 PM

I forgot to mention. Tires will make it look like the rim is messed up sometimes so if after you take the tire off the visual "hop" no longer appears yo be there, its probably your tire.

Even really nice tires look all wobbly sometimes.

|

9/4/2018 5:44 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I forgot to mention. Tires will make it look like the rim is messed up sometimes so if after you take the tire off the visual ...more

I took of the tires and the rim tape and found that one of the spokes is nearly peeking over the nipple... I unfortunately don’t have a spike wrench so I will take it to peddlers and see if they can get the hop out for cheap. Thanks for the info

|

9/4/2018 7:21 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I forgot to mention. Tires will make it look like the rim is messed up sometimes so if after you take the tire off the visual ...more

Guyman22 wrote:

I took of the tires and the rim tape and found that one of the spokes is nearly peeking over the nipple... I unfortunately don ...more

If you pick up a spoke wrench try to get one that holds 4 sides of the nipple. You wont strip your nips that way. I like the park tool ones.

|

9/4/2018 7:26 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

If you pick up a spoke wrench try to get one that holds 4 sides of the nipple. You wont strip your nips that way. I like the ...more

Strippin nips ain't fun...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/4/2018 7:32 PM

Just for visual reference:
The one on the top is "4-sided".
The wrenches on the bottom do not have the extra support.
Photo
Photo

|

9/4/2018 10:54 PM

Who built it, and how old is it? If it's just out of vertical true, do what bulletpup said, or take it to the shop. But it could be a flat spot on your rim, which you can't get out.
But definitely watch your rim, not the tyre.

If you use the correct size spoke key, and don't over tighten the spokes, you won't round the nips

|

9/5/2018 4:43 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Who built it, and how old is it? If it's just out of vertical true, do what bulletpup said, or take it to the shop. But it ...more

A professional (who must’ve been strapped for time) built it, the rim is literally brand new

|

9/5/2018 4:46 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Who built it, and how old is it? If it's just out of vertical true, do what bulletpup said, or take it to the shop. But it ...more

Guyman22 wrote:

A professional (who must’ve been strapped for time) built it, the rim is literally brand new

He shouldn't call himself a professional if he can't build a wheel without up and down. He's an amateur at best. He should've either done it right, or called to say he's pushed for time. I'd take it back and tell him to fix it.

|

9/5/2018 4:48 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Guyman22 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

He shouldn't call himself a professional if he can't build a wheel without up and down. He's an amateur at best. He should've ...more

I totally would, but the shop is about 45 minutes away and I am strapped for gas atm, there is a peddlers bike shop where the dude is pretty cool, so I’ll see if he can get it

|

9/5/2018 5:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2018 5:11 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

He shouldn't call himself a professional if he can't build a wheel without up and down. He's an amateur at best. He should've ...more

Its not like lacing wheels is even hard. Ive only ever laced 2 wheels and both were totally straight no hop etc.

And i didnt even use a truing stand. I just laced up the wheel on my table and then put it in my fork and used my finger to see where it was moving and tightened all up. That hard ass front end impact that broke my wrist didnt even break one of my spokes... so id say i did a pretty good job lol

|

9/5/2018 6:06 AM

First, find out if it's a "hop" or a "flat" generally it is really pronounced on a third of the wheel with and extents a bit on both sides which makes it look like half of the rim is up and the other half down, creating confusion about what to do.
So identify this by spinning the wheel, ~2/3 of the rotation will be fine and the last third will be either "hop" or "flat" it's pretty easy to see.
If it is a hop, tighten the spokes on this area (and/or eventually loosen a bit the other 2/3 depending on your global tension), if it is a flat, same idea but opposite.

|

9/5/2018 6:53 AM

And like said above look at the rim not the tire. The tires are always odd shapes so just identify it for us. Also maybe put a video up so we can see too

|

9/5/2018 10:51 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Guyman22 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Exactly this. If he's going to do it at all, he should do it right. If there was a problem, he should have called you. You should not have to pay twice, for the same job. I'd suggest you call him as soon as possible and get him to finish the job as soon as possible.

What the fuck happened to taking pride in one's work?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/5/2018 2:04 PM

Guyman22 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Exactly this. If he's going to do it at all, he should do it right. If there was a problem, he should have called you. You ...more

I totally would but the drive there is absolute terrible, it costs 20 dollars worth of gas just to get to his shop.

|

9/5/2018 2:16 PM

Guyman22 wrote:

I totally would but the drive there is absolute terrible, it costs 20 dollars worth of gas just to get to his shop.

$20 in 45 minutes. What do you drive? An M1 Abrams?

|

9/5/2018 2:28 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Exactly this. If he's going to do it at all, he should do it right. If there was a problem, he should have called you. You ...more

Guyman22 wrote:

jbales wrote:

Hahahahaha!

|

9/5/2018 2:40 PM

Call the dude and tell him your newly built wheel is hopping. In situations like this I usually give the person a second chance to make it right.

Just say "listen I'm kinda far away and don't have the money for gas and/or to have the wheel rebuilt, can you help me out and take a look at it?"

If they say no, then fuck them and write a google review or some shit. Bitching about it on Yelp is the counterpoint to people doing shitty jobs for things they're paid to do.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/5/2018 3:00 PM

jbales wrote:

Photo
|

9/5/2018 3:56 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Guyman22 wrote:

jbales wrote:

Close... I drive a 2005 2500 hd for work, I am thinking about getting a smaller car for normal commute

|

9/6/2018 4:23 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Guyman22 wrote:

Did he build it and true it..what hub is the rim laced to?

|

9/6/2018 4:25 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Guyman22 wrote:

jbales wrote:

Probably has to pay a friend with a license 20$ haha

|