Rolling Hub Guards

Related:
Create New Tag

1/13/2014 3:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2014 4:13 PM

There should be hub guards that roll. Rolling pegs are lame, but a guard that spins(maybe on a bushing) would work awesomely. Anyone else think so?

Edit: sorry, I hadn't seen this before.. roll guard

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

1/13/2014 3:12 PM

Yeah i think premium or haro was going to make one (they had it at interbike)

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

1/13/2014 3:14 PM

Wtf are they waiting for? I'd try that shit without a second thought.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

1/13/2014 3:28 PM

I'd imagine they're still working out some kinks, i rhink they did say they would be using bushings so thats definitely a good thing, they had a video up awhile ago about them on the home page if you want to try and look it up not sure if it had a release date or anything though

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

1/13/2014 3:31 PM

The BSD guard or really any with a plastic sleeve rotate some.

But why would you need this? What would the benefit be?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/13/2014 4:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2014 4:16 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

The BSD guard or really any with a plastic sleeve rotate some.

But why would you need this? What would the benefit be?

The less resistance there is the better right? If an aluminum guard had the ability to spin it'd last longer and "slide" smoother. There's nothing wrong with current guards, they work... but they can be that much better with this simple implication.

plastic sleeves suck

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

1/13/2014 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2014 4:35 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

The BSD guard or really any with a plastic sleeve rotate some.

But why would you need this? What would the benefit be?

BMXism wrote:

The less resistance there is the better right? If an aluminum guard had the ability to spin it'd last longer and "slide" smoother. There's nothing wrong with current guards, they work... but they can be that much better with this simple implication.

plastic sleeves suck

I suppose, but you should be grinding on your pegs, not your hub guard.

But by your logic, rotating pegs would be better than non-rotating, because they (if done well at least) would cause less friction. Oh wait, you think rotating pegs are lame.

Why not both for the least amount of friction?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/13/2014 4:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2014 4:43 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I suppose, but you should be grinding on your pegs, not your hub guard.

But by your logic, rotating pegs would be better than non-rotating, because they (if done well at least) would cause less friction. Oh wait, you think rotating pegs are lame.

Why not both for the least amount of friction?

Cmon dave.. I thought you were smarter than that? As you said, we don't use guards for grinding... no shit. A rotating peg is a whole different story, that would just change the feel of grinding completely. But a spinning guard is a no brainer to me.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

1/13/2014 4:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2014 4:49 PM

Real riders ride with speed at shit and don't need rolling grinding parts......the last thing I wanna see is some slow ass motherfucker hop on a foot tall ledge and grind 50 feet......rolling pegs /guards bad idea even if it where done right and strong everyone would bitch cause its to heavy anyways

|

1/13/2014 4:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2014 4:56 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Real riders ride with speed at shit and don't need rolling grinding parts......the last thing I wanna see is some slow ass motherfucker hop on a foot tall ledge and grind 50 feet......rolling pegs /guards bad idea even if it where done right and strong everyone would bitch cause its to heavy anyways

ok. But what about people who enjoy slow grind variations? Or just freestyle in general?

It's not about seeing a slow ass motherfucker hop on a foot tall ledge.., it's about being that slow ass motherfucker hopping on a foot tall ledge.. IF THATS WHAT YOU LIKE TO DO. Don't knock it if you don't need it.

.. I think it could be done under 4 ounces..

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

1/13/2014 5:11 PM

A chromoly guard with optional plastic sleeve spinning on bushings would be sick.

i definitely see more companies coming out with spinning guards (only one i know of so far is haro/premium) it spunds like a good idea but I'd imagine problems with them beginning to stop spinning or locking up would happen witj the first models (its a hub guad so them locking up probably wouldn't really matter) also being weaker, not the guard itself but more the bushing crushing and maybe shifting into the spokes

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

1/13/2014 6:17 PM

the way I'm thinking, it seems like it still wouldn't do much. If you only hit your hub guard when you initially land on the ledge, that's what would cause the drag. but then the hub guard kicks you down to your peg anyway right? most do anyway.. so given that, a spinning guard would still have drag on the ledge when it first hits the ledge, and the guard would only be grinded a short amount, not enough to really be noticeable.

just how it seems to me though, I'm not knocking the idea at all, just saying. It's a good though but I personally wouldn't run it because I prefer my chromoly guards. and a bushing would be ideal since it would take the load of hitting the ledge better

|

1/13/2014 10:51 PM

Why don't we just have spinning grips to? Good idea I know.. Odyssey I'm looking at you, come out with that shit yo, or at least spinning barends

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/13/2014 10:52 PM

For real tho.. I want hub guards that cause sparks.. Cuz it's cool.. Also pedals that cause sparks.. Barents to.

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/13/2014 11:02 PM

Premium makes them in 2014 , I know Garret Reynolds ghetto rigged his years ago too when he was on Premium them.

I'd think that more rolling parts would cause havoc though with grind abuse , i wouldn't want one.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/14/2014 5:33 AM

Eastern make spinning guards. Glands are spinning guards

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

1/14/2014 5:53 AM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

For real tho.. I want hub guards that cause sparks.. Cuz it's cool.. Also pedals that cause sparks.. Barents to.

Get Ti bar ends, pedals and pegs. They will spark like crazy.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/14/2014 5:56 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

the way I'm thinking, it seems like it still wouldn't do much. If you only hit your hub guard when you initially land on the ledge, that's what would cause the drag. but then the hub guard kicks you down to your peg anyway right? most do anyway.. so given that, a spinning guard would still have drag on the ledge when it first hits the ledge, and the guard would only be grinded a short amount, not enough to really be noticeable.

just how it seems to me though, I'm not knocking the idea at all, just saying. It's a good though but I personally wouldn't run it because I prefer my chromoly guards. and a bushing would be ideal since it would take the load of hitting the ledge better

This.

BMXism, this is the explanation that to me renders the idea unnecessary. If your hub guard does its job and kicks you down onto your pegs, it isn't really hitting what you're sliding on causing the drag you are talking about.

I get the idea, I get the "potential" it COULD have, but to me if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

I have noticed a lot of us are over-egnineering parts that don't really need any big changes. More chromoly guards at a lower price point would be the best change I could see.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/14/2014 1:09 PM

I agree that everything is better as simple as can be. And that explanation that sundaybmx gave was good, but it doesn't always happen that way. There're times when the guard will drag during the grind not just initial impact. If you're close enough that your tire rubs, the guard will be rubbing too..some people just like to stay really close as they grind. It all depends on what you're doing and how you do it I guess.

I'd still be willing try one out if it was built properly. It's not absolutely needed, but it definitely has it's uses.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting