Rookie needs help with buying a bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2018 11:20 AM

Im new to this bmx thing and im looking for a solid bike. Im a beginner, ~6ft (1.83m), 73 kg.
There arent many options available in my country (Estonia), these 2 are the best i could find. If i wanted to get something else then i'd have to order from another country. Also, could you fit a gyro brake system thingy on the WTP bike? If not then im not interested in it.

1. WeThePeople 2018 Arcade (20.5´) - 408€ on sale, 480€ full price.
2. Haro Midway 21TT - 479€

I found 2 online stores that have free shipping to Estonia. If neither of those is good then suggest me some good bikes from these 2 sites. I really dont want to spend over 500€, ~400€ would be perfect. That should get me a solid bike that lasts a long time, hopefully.
The stores:

1. Kunstform.org
2. Sourcebmx.com

If you need any more info then just ask, I'll try to be active.

|

7/31/2018 11:36 AM

Source would be my go-to for buying online in your area. Never heard of the other place (not that they aren't any good. I've just never dealt with them). At your size/weight, even though you are a beginner & looking at what those bikes are going to cost you (the WTP & the Haro) there are better bikes to be had. In fact, this is the bike you could get that is head and shoulders above the two you listed:

https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/Kink-Whip-XL-BMX-Bike-2019/m-36049.aspx

|

7/31/2018 11:57 AM

Yes there are better bikes, those are just the best in my country.
550€ is a little too much. Arent there any worthy bikes at around 400-450? If not then i might spend more. Buy nice or buy twice.
Kunstform seems reputable so if anyone has time then they could check that site out aswell. I will have a look aswell when i can and i'll post my findings here.

I forgot to mention that i would prefer 20-22" sized wheels and a gyro brake system.

|

7/31/2018 12:50 PM

Sorry, the best I can see is in pounds sterling so I didn't do the conversion to Euros. If you are limited at that price, you will have to go with a hi-tens frame/fork, etc... which may be fine for the time being if you are a beginner. The problem comes when you start to progress and you start attempting tricks that are beyond the limits of that material. If you are limited to that budget, I'd try to find a bike with a 21" TT for your height. You could ride a 20.5" TT but that's about a low as I'd suggest you even try & a 20.5" would be too small for you in my opinion. If you can save a bit more you could get into something better & that would be what I'd try to do. I know it is tempting to get a bike now & start riding & I don't blame you but you are better off spending a bit more now than buying cheap now & buying again later. Wish I could be of more help. Perhaps someone closer to you could offer better advice.

P.S. Not sure if you have much of a used bike market but I'd look around anyway. Used bikes are the best way to save money.

|

7/31/2018 2:00 PM

I found a used Fitbikes STR that has some parts changed out. Not ideal but its only 220€. I would like to hear your guys' opinions. Worth or not?

Frame: Fitbikes str 1
Bars: Fitbikes stock
Stem: Fitbikes stock
Fork: Fitbikes stock
Headset: Simple integrated headset
Pedals: Odyssey Twisted Clear Glow
Cranks: Fitbikes stock
Sprocket: Shadow scream sprocket
Chain: Shadow interlock V2
Seat: Odyssey aitken senior V2
Seatpost: Sunday pivotal stock
Hubs: Fitbikes stock
Rims: Alienation black rims
Tires: Front: Fitbikes Faf teal wall , Rear: Salt pitch flow tire

This is what the seller wrote, i just translated things to english.

The seller is also giving these as a bonus: A bmx helmet, stock tires that came with the bike originally i think, stock sprocket, odyssey bar ends, madd grips, brake set with WTP hi-slick cable, (probably) stock seat set.

Pictures: http://soov-ee.postimees.ee/7930737-bmx-fitbikes-custom/details.html

|

7/31/2018 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2018 2:38 PM

Do you know what year the bike is? I don't think it could be worse than any new complete you were looking at if it's in decent shape. In fact, I think most of the fly STR bikes are full Chromoly. If that were the case, I'd prefer that to the other new bikes you listed (if it isn't beat to piss)

|

7/31/2018 2:50 PM

Theres pics of the bike in the link provided in the previous post.
He said that its been used for like 2 years. I'll ask him what year's model it is.

|

7/31/2018 2:53 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Do you know what year the bike is? I don't think it could be worse than any new complete you were looking at if it's in decent ...more

Nah the Fit STR, PRK, and TRl aren't full chromoly... they may be this year, but they weren't in years past...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/31/2018 2:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2018 3:00 PM

If you are going to have a hard time paying more to get a full Chromoly bike & have to get something with hi tens, you may as well save some money & buy a used hi tens bike. But (not knowing how you're used market is), I'd say a hi tens bike is overpriced at that price.

|

7/31/2018 3:03 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

If you are going to have a hard time paying more to get a full Chromoly bike & have to get something with hi tens, you may ...more

Yeah I'm not saying he shouldn't buy that bike. I would if I were in his shoes and they bike was in good condition. One of my buddies rode a 2016 Fit Mac 2 (not full chromo) for 2 years and only just cracked it at the seatube and top tube junction not too long ago... So I would buy it if it's in good condition... itll be a fine bike ro learn on imo. Fit completes are overpriced but they are good for what they are...

|

7/31/2018 3:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2018 3:15 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

If you are going to have a hard time paying more to get a full Chromoly bike & have to get something with hi tens, you may ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah I'm not saying he shouldn't buy that bike. I would if I were in his shoes and they bike was in good condition. One of my ...more

Yeah... I wasn't referring to what you said, Honda. Just saying, may as well save even more money by buying used if you can't swing full chromo. I'd still look around for a better deal tho.also, what's the tt on that fit? In my opinion, that fit probably isn't worth more than $150US if it isn't full Chromoly. & $150 is pushing it, in my opinion.

|

7/31/2018 4:04 PM

I had an arcade once it was a 2012/13 i dont know, oh wait it was so good i got 3 of them but i dont know if the new ones are that good but if its as good i would recomend the fuck outta it plus the new one looks so much better then mine so out of the two get the arcade if u cant find a sunday bile or something

|

Street yes please

7/31/2018 8:18 PM

First thread in a while that I haven't seen anyone recommend the Mongoose Legion L100...
Everything on the bike is good save for the stem, unsealed front hub (no biggie, it works), lackluster pedals, and (honestly the only one you can't just fix) a non standard headset, otherwise it's a full chromoly bike for the cheapest price on the market)
Doesn't have a gyro, but you can buy the odyssey m3 gyro which comes with everything you need to set up a gyro. It costs only 247 euros, and the gyro can be obtained for another measly 17 euro. Only problem is that with mongoose being primarily US based and all, but I'm sure amazon will ship it no problem, and I know for a fact that Odyssey ships world wide.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

7/31/2018 8:29 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah... I wasn't referring to what you said, Honda. Just saying, may as well save even more money by buying used if you can't ...more

Yeah I'd say $150 it pretty high as well... I'd offer like $100 and see what the seller says...

|

7/31/2018 8:46 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

First thread in a while that I haven't seen anyone recommend the Mongoose Legion L100...
Everything on the bike is good save ...more

I would have offered that up but I don't know that he can get it in his region of the world

|

8/1/2018 12:36 AM

I ordered a lot at Kunstform in the past, due to living in Germany.
Can definitely recommend!

|

IG: @_almost_crook

8/1/2018 7:29 AM

Get that Fit and save some dough.

|

8/1/2018 9:22 AM

So i browsed the sites for a while and i found some bikes that seem good in my eyes, but since im inexperienced these might not be good. See if any of these are decent.

1. https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/Kink-Liberty-BMX-Bike-2019/m-35846.aspx
2. https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/Fly-Proton-FC-BMX-Bike-2018/m-34968.aspx
3. https://www.kunstform.org/en/kink-bikes-gap-xl-2019-bmx-bike-gloss-trans-purple-edge-fade-p-14675
4. https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/Kink-Whip-XL-BMX-Bike-2019/m-35849.aspx
5. https://www.kunstform.org/en/kink-bikes-whip-xl-2019-bmx-bike-trans-black-edge-fade-p-14678

I would like to have a gyro system on my bike so i would like to know which of these can fit one.
Now, which would be better for a beginner, a cassette hub or a freecoaster hub? Which would be better in the long run? Or does it all come down to personal preference? I will go to my local bike store tomorrow and test out a bmx that they have that has a cassette hub. If they let me test it out.

The last 2 bikes seem to be the same, but im not sure. The price difference is quite big so they shouldnt be the same.
Also i asked the used bike's seller some questions and he hasnt answered yet. From what ive seen, that bike seems to have a 20" TT. A 21" TT would be good for me, maybe 20.75" min.

|

8/1/2018 9:46 AM

Hyebri wrote:

So i browsed the sites for a while and i found some bikes that seem good in my eyes, but since im inexperienced these might ...more

Can't really help with the bike choice but I'm gonna give my 2 cents on the freecoaster vs. cassette dilemma. I started with a cassette, rode with a coaster for a bit under a year at one point and now am again riding a cassette but keeping my eyes open just in case a nice coaster pops up.

In my opinion a cassette forces you to get your fakie landing tricks well dialed since you need to be ready to pedal backwards when you land, which will be a benefit later on. On the other hand, with a freecoaster you'll be able to focus more on the tricks without stressing the rollout as much, and you can have a bit more fun with your fakies without having superhuman skills.

All that said, I think everyone should try both at some point. My personal opinion is to start with a cassette and get a coaster once/if you feel like it will add something to your riding. You might even end up riding in a way that doesn't even utilize a coaster at all. In the end it's all about personal preference and either one is a good choice.

|

8/1/2018 10:29 AM

Cassette hubs are cooler and i quite like the noise. That may be enough for me to go with that over the freecoaster one lol.

|

8/1/2018 11:07 AM

I miss pedalpresure and the confidence i get from a cassette but the coaster is hellafunny

|

Street yes please

8/1/2018 11:49 AM

Hey dude

Been in the exact same boat as you and some of these boiz in this thread helped me in the search for a nice bike.

I just ordered af Stolen Sinner 2018 from chainreactioncycles.com

You should totally check out the site and see if they deliver to Estonia. On the bottom of the page, in the footer, it says "Delivery". I cannot check for you, since the website takes your general location and shows the options for that specific loaction.

Best of luck in your search!

|

8/1/2018 11:55 AM

I can't really do a fair comparison of the bikes because when I open the Source links, I believe their system automatically shows me the price in US Dollars & the others are in Euros.

If it were my money, right now, I'd choose:

1.) Kink Whip XL
2.) Kink Liberty
3.) Fly Proton
4.) Kink Gap XL

As for the cassette/freecoaster debate, generally cassette bikes are cheaper. I'm also a fan of learning on a cassette before a coaster.

As for why one Kink Whip is more expensive than the other, I don't know... again, I'm seeing the Source.com bike in US Dollars & the other in Euros. They look like the exact same bike to me specs-wise.

|

8/1/2018 1:56 PM

So the Kink Whip XL 2019 is really good (expensive but it may be worth in the long run because it lasts longer, hopefully).
But would the Salt AM Gyro Kit fit on this bike and is that kit any good?

|

8/1/2018 6:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2018 6:21 PM

All the gyro kits are similar. In looking at that kit, you don't need the one cup piece. I think it comes with it either way. The kink whip comes drilled for gyro tabs. So, you'd need a kit that has the two gyro tabs, the upper cable stop plate, upper and lower cables, and the actual gyro... Which that kit looks to have.

To your question about the whip lasting... If you keep everything snug and keep it maintained, it should last you a long while.

|

8/2/2018 3:04 AM

Alright thanks. I have one more question. This Whip is made 100% from crmo but it weighs more than some bikes with a few crmo parts and the rest hi-ten (the usual weight is around 11.5 kg - 12 kg and the Whip weighs like 12.5 kg) Im just curious as to why's that a thing. Have they used more material to make it stronger or?

|

8/2/2018 4:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/2/2018 6:09 AM

Not sure. Could be that they are over-building a bit for beginners since it is an entry level bike. Could be in the components... or a combination of the two. Overall, I wouldn't worry about it. The extra weight isn't anything you will even notice. It's all about technique & getting comfortable on your bike. Everything else will come after that, regardless of any extra bit of weight. Kink makes good shit. I wouldn't doubt that it's an "over-build it a bit for beginners" sort of thing. I mean, think about it. If it cost them any extra $5 in material for a frame & another $5 in extra material in parts but it's indestructible for a beginner, that beginner would be very likely to buy another Kink when the time comes & certainly would recommend Kink to others. By all means, if the weight bothers you, keep looking. It's your bike, you should be happy with it. Lastly, If you have never ordered from Source, I believe they offer 15% off your first order!

|

8/2/2018 5:21 AM

The weight isnt that big of an issue, im not a weakling. So if no one else has anything to say then i might just go with that bike and gyro set. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

|

8/10/2018 8:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 9:12 AM

My bike is finally here, looks like christmas came early this year. It's a good bike, rides well and I did something to my left shoulder, it hurts to move it lol.
Also, how am I supposed to attach the gyro cable to the rear cable connector?

Photo

Photo

|

8/10/2018 9:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 9:59 AM

Hyebri wrote:

My bike is finally here, looks like christmas came early this year. It's a good bike, rides well and I did something to my ...more

I can't really see if there's a split in that "hanger" or not. If not, you'll either need a new hanger setup or cut that ball off, insert your gyro cable and install something like this to hold it:

Photo

Or this if you don't want to cut that ball off:

Photo

P.S. Congrats on the bike!

P.S.S. Get rid of those reflectors ASAP!

|