Rough Day!

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2017 8:12 PM

If you've seen my one single other post, you'll know I was in the market for a new bike. I rode for 15 years; bmx, road bikes, mtb. Whatever had wheels really. So a month almost ago I got my Kink Liberty. I'm running vans sk8 hi pro. I was running Air Force ones but the soles were to rigid for me, and I couldn't feel the pedals.

The vans have made a hell of a difference. But I'm still terrible.
So here's where my rough day(s) comes into play.
My time is limited, because I'm old and have a real job. My weight I believe is not doing me any favors. I need to lose about 30 pounds.
So guy with restrictive schedules, how'd you get back in?
Did you start with learning hops and shit or did you just peddle yourselves silly and get back your bike control?
Some days I can perform the most pathetic bunny hops. Other days that rear tire is glued to the ground.

|

7/17/2017 9:05 PM

Just literally hop over everything. Hop the crack in the street. Hop the stick that fell out of the tree. Hop the Mcdonalds bag in the street. Hop the curb. Hop off the ledge. Hop the 3 Stair. And also like you said just ride your bike everywhere. Gotta run to the store? Take your backpack and go ride. Gotta run up to the bank? Hop on that BMX. Take your time and just ride and have fun man.

|

7/18/2017 12:18 AM

I'm old and don't get much time either. I usually manage to get out on my days off for a couple of hours, but if it rains I feel like the world is against me!
My days off that I can ride tend to fall on weekdays, so there's not many people about. And I have this one particular street spot I love. I usually just go there and ride. Whether I just do things I know I can do, or think of something new, I just ride because I enjoy it.

Just try to make some time to enjoy it and find a quiet spot where you can do what you want for a few hours. I'm currently trying to shift a bit of weight myself (I swear my metabolism changed over night! I'm cutting out snacks and ride my bike to work every day and my moobs are still growing haha), as you get older it gets harder, but eating healthy and staying active is about all you can do unless you want to go all out with running, gym, etc

|

7/18/2017 12:58 AM

4 pegs and being able to hop and grind really makes the difference , then you can hop manual to like peg chink and 180 off stuff

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/18/2017 9:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2017 10:53 AM

I have very restricted schedule. On a normal day I just hit the street and practice tricks or flow around hopping curbs and such. I do a lot of trail style tricks (turn downs, moto-whip, tabletop) those types of tricks fit me well. Then on a good day or day off I like hitting a pay-entry quality skatepark. There I usually try super hard and can't walk the next day. But my time away from the park is basically practice/conditioning.

Practicing proper bunnyhops is important, as is bike control. That just takes time/practice. I really like fucked up sidewalks that have one tile smashed up real high. Getting speed and airing it seeing how many blocks I can clear. Bump jumps are fun too.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/18/2017 5:07 PM

I have four pegs, silk fighting to get the bike high enough to grind anything lol. I attempted a 180 the other day. I bought new bar ends after that haha. I attempted to bunny over a really short rail. My thinking was, if I have to to get over it, then I will. Then I guess I choked? I went over the bars. I bought new bar ends then too. Who chokes on a bunny hop? Hahaha

|

7/18/2017 7:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2017 7:08 PM

I ride BMX at least every weekend, and like bquick said: hop everything. And ride everything. I am 48. I work a job that is usually 10 hour days at least on 6 of the 7 days. I also play in 3 bands, and play hockey. I had a heart attack 2 months ago as well. The big thing to remember is that things will come back to you, but maybe not as quick as they used to. I rode from 1976 to 1992 hardcore, but then took 20 years off due to life stuff (first mistakecool ) I have been getting back into it now for 5 years and some things are happening...some never will.

Another thing is to NOT get down on yourself for not being able to ride. It just happens. When you do ride, get totally into it. Make a plan and stick with it. The last time I went out, I spent 2 hours trying to perfect a line with two jumps in it. I wanted to hit a certain part of a bowl and shoot out of it to hit the second jump clean. I could not get into the "right" part of the bowl to save the life of me...I was trying to find the right combo of speed, lean, pedal positioning etc to hit the second jump clean. It is part of my goal for the next time I go out

When I get "down" on my time or ability to ride, I then think of how many otehr 48 year olds that I know who can't even walk around the house, or have burdend themselves with life-choice bullshit that restrains them from having free time, and I consider myself lucky. I especially saw this when I was in the hospital for my heartattack...dudes who were even 10 years younger than me who were on the brink of death. Doomed to a life of sedentary existence..

Just ride peoples!!!tongue

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

7/19/2017 12:45 AM

Good on you! I work similar hours, if my stupid commute wasn't so congested and long it would help. But hey I wanna live in a city so concessions. I've been riding every other day this week because I'm on vacation for a few hour each outing. Being sedentary isn't an option for myself. I'm glad it's not for you either. Generally every year I pick up something new to learn, this year I decided to get back on my bike and enjoy doing that. I always enjoy it, I want to get either bar mount so I can record from my phone, or a go pro just for funsies.

|

7/19/2017 12:10 PM

I never left bmx, I just hop on when I can. I can usually get an hour or two a week-sometimes more outside of 2 jobs, family time and other stuff.

Now that my son is older, I can ride with him-which means my bike time is increasing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/19/2017 3:14 PM

I'm getting back into riding, pulled my old Haro out of the basement a few months ago and really enjoyed it again. Haven't ridden seriously since 98, so I just ride when I can, hop what I can, and I'm trying to learn to fakie. Trying to keep the injury quotient low, not charging at all, just taking it as it comes...it takes time.

I picked up a new bike and a project bike, so I have something to tinker with. When I can't ride I work on the project bike. Keeps me occupied and is a fairly inexpensive hobby.

Just ride, hop, and have fun. Stay safe.

|

7/20/2017 5:54 AM

My injury quotient is way to high. Ever since I got my bike I've been coated in a veneer of bruises and scrapes.

|

7/20/2017 9:58 AM

zkzk wrote:

My injury quotient is way to high. Ever since I got my bike I've been coated in a veneer of bruises and scrapes.

I hear ya there! My legs look like a dart board between my BMX and MTB riding.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

7/20/2017 10:03 AM

Dart board legs ( was supposed to be in last post)

Photo

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

7/20/2017 3:22 PM

Haha mine are just yellow and gross from peg bashing. I got to confident once and went off a big lobster and ate a plate of shit

|

7/24/2017 1:19 PM

I am 43, been back on a bike for the last 2 months. I was riding the mountain bike with the kid and was bored to death so I decided to find a used bike for cheap. That turned into wanting a better bike and taking the kid to the skatepark. My son has since switched to the scooter and i ride the park like 3 days a week. Still hard to get my body to do what it did 18 years ago when I quit riding. I look at a line and think hell yeah and my body says hell no. I have to force myself to do things a little each time out. Still having trouble with my hop tricks. My timing is shot so I can't do hop bars or 180's/360's anymore. I do believe that it will come back though. Feel more confident in my bike/body control each time out.

|

7/24/2017 1:26 PM

I took a peg to the ankle the other day...that was fun. Had a swollen bump that "tore" internally yesterday...Might have been a fluid buildup.

That was fun.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura