Rounded 2.5 mm allen head bolt

Related:
Create New Tag

8/31/2018 5:47 AM

I was working on my brakes and took off a brake mount to work more easily and I screwed the bolt back in its place and it stripped. What are your guys advices on stripped bolts? This is a difficult case as it is a round head with a rounded allen inside, and it also is very small, 2.5 mm. Are the bmx gods telling me to run no brakes? Perhaps. Any advice for unscrewing the bolt? Photo
Photo

|

Deez nuts

8/31/2018 6:05 AM

Use a dremel to make a spit in it and use a flathead screw driver to remove it and then buy a new bolt...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/31/2018 6:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2018 6:23 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Use a dremel to make a spit in it and use a flathead screw driver to remove it and then buy a new bolt...

Yep smile also just to let you know. There are no brakeless bmx gods...they all run Gyro's.

|

8/31/2018 6:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2018 6:24 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Another option is using a easy out... basically it is a hardened drill bit that you would use in reverse (the drill). It digs in the bolt until it catches and begins to back out. If you do not have a dremel this maybe cheaper.

|

8/31/2018 6:33 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

SupaShawn wrote:

Another option is using a easy out... basically it is a hardened drill bit that you would use in reverse (the drill). It digs ...more

Thanks guys for the suggestions but I did it with a hand file and basically shaved the outside of the screw and I was able to unscrew it. But I am curious for more ways to recover a rounded bolt, just for the future because I am sure I will strip way more bolts

|

Deez nuts

8/31/2018 6:54 AM

fly_alex09 wrote:

Thanks guys for the suggestions but I did it with a hand file and basically shaved the outside of the screw and I was able to ...more

How about use the proper tools and dont try to tighten the shit out of stuff and not strip bolts?

|

8/31/2018 7:10 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

How about use the proper tools and dont try to tighten the shit out of stuff and not strip bolts?

Chill out man. What do you mean in proper tools? I have a pretty good quality allen set and a socket wrench, this bolt stripped so damn easy because it is so small.

|

Deez nuts

8/31/2018 8:05 AM

fly_alex09 wrote:

Chill out man. What do you mean in proper tools? I have a pretty good quality allen set and a socket wrench, this bolt ...more

Lol sorry I wasn't trying to come across as a dick lol

But use good, non stripped tools and dont over tighten stuff, especially bolts that use small allens...

|

8/31/2018 8:21 AM

fly_alex09 wrote:

Thanks guys for the suggestions but I did it with a hand file and basically shaved the outside of the screw and I was able to ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

fly_alex09 wrote:

Chill out man. What do you mean in proper tools? I have a pretty good quality allen set and a socket wrench, this bolt ...more

I have worked with those bolts many times before and never had an issue with stripping. As Honda said, use the absolute correct tool & dont try to tighten it to absolute hell.

If I recall correctly, those bolts require a 2.5mm Metric Allen wrench, and when you use it, make sure it is inserted all the way into the allen broach & that there isnt any dirt or anything keeping it from doing so. You may find a standard size Allen wrench or maybe even a 2mm that "work", but that is a surefire way to strip out the bolt.

Then simply tighten it until the bolt stops turning. It's not a stem bolt, it doesn't need to be super tight. If you're worried about it falling out, put some blue loctite on it.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/31/2018 4:02 PM

Hit the top with a hammer and the head will snap off.
Then just use super glue and a bit of wire to unscrew it
Or you could do what other people suggested and it would be way easier

|

Hmmm

9/1/2018 1:15 AM

Put brakes on and never take them off. Problem solved

|

It’s all bmx

9/1/2018 1:52 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Put brakes on and never take them off. Problem solved

Lmao man, that's the real advice