Rounded Out Pedal

Related:
Create New Tag

10/31/2019 10:49 PM

Wooo. Got myself a little situaaaaation. So long story short, I tried taking my left pedal off and not only did I strip out the 6mm Allen in the back, but I rounded out the 15mm axle... Thing.

I've emptied a can of WD40 in it. Tried a torque pipe. I've killed multiple tools. Broke a pair of vice grips, stripped 2 Allen's, broke a hammer, snapped the pedal tool on my animal kotulak tool, broke one open end wrench, went to home Depot to get better wrench and did the same thing.

This thing is on there. Like bad. I got the pedal body off and there's nowhere to put a wrench or vice grip. At this point, I'm thinking of just getting new cranks.

Yes this is my fault because I didn't grease the pedal before putting them on knowing I live in the south.

Please help.

|

10/31/2019 11:25 PM

Take the pedal body off and use a bench top vise? Or buy new cranks

|

fack off

10/31/2019 11:27 PM

First off make sure you’re actually loosening it. Left pedal is reverse threaded so RIGHTY LOOSEY instead of lefty loosey

Second, try a pipe wrench on the pedal spindle. It might grab better than vice grips do. If you have a table vice try that too, just clamp the shit out of the spindle in it and use the crank arm as leverage to remove it.

Make sure to keep soaking WD40 all around where the threads go too

|

11/1/2019 2:07 AM

To add to what Sunday said^: if all else fails, remove the pedal body and use a blowtorch to heat the spindle. Clamp the spindle in a table vise(using whatever's left of the wrench flats) and twist it out. If it's still too difficult, try using a deadblow hammer on the end of the crank.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/1/2019 5:37 AM

make sure you're turning the wrench proper way then remove the pedal body(break it off if u have to) and use/buy/borrow a pipe wrench and you should be able to get it off.

|

11/1/2019 12:56 PM

LOL. YES! I was going the right way. But I ended up just ordering cranks. Everything was rounded off and couldn't budge.

And my fiancee refuses to let me have a torch.

|

11/1/2019 2:21 PM

WiteMic wrote:

LOL. YES! I was going the right way. But I ended up just ordering cranks. Everything was rounded off and couldn't budge.

Next time maybe try to file new flats on the spindle.

|

11/1/2019 2:37 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Damn. Didn't even think about that. Should've just got an angle grinder.

|

11/1/2019 4:09 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

If you had a pair of Powergloves, you would have had the grip strength to just unscrew it by hand...

|

11/1/2019 4:26 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

If you had a pair of Powergloves, you would have had the grip strength to just unscrew it by hand...

I could've just put the Konami Kode in & it would've been done.

|

11/1/2019 5:15 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

Lol I just recently learned about that. Too bad Konami booted Kojima...Really would have liked to play that new Silent Hill...

|

11/1/2019 6:24 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Lol I just recently learned about that. Too bad Konami booted Kojima...Really would have liked to play that new Silent Hill...

I just want a Metal Gear Solid game.

|

11/1/2019 7:16 PM

Under the thumb!

|

11/1/2019 7:50 PM

Take pedal body off - lock it in a vice - whack crank arm with a rubber mallet until the threads break loose

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx