Rounded spoke nipple -_-

Related:
Create New Tag

1/29/2016 4:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2016 5:06 PM

Rounded, any way i can get this to turn? like a piece of rubber or something?
thanks.
Worst part is this is right where my buckle is, for some reason it was really tight.

Also i have a weird buckle, like where i have the the bottom of the fork tube where the hole is where all the rocks go into when im riding, it goes really high and touchs the metal, then i spin the wheel around and it goes really low and doesnt touch my forks at all.

|

1/29/2016 5:05 PM

Vise grip, replace the nipple, use the correct size spoke wrench if you arent.

OR take the tire and tube off, and find the correct size flathead screwdriver OR spoke nipple driver and remove from the top.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/29/2016 7:07 PM

that last bit is a bad hop. youll probably need to replace your rim if its that bad. where in aus are you?

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

1/29/2016 7:24 PM

aussiebmxer wrote:

that last bit is a bad hop. youll probably need to replace your rim if its that bad. where in aus are you?

What do you mean? il try to take a video some time to show what i mean, i live in south aus

|

1/29/2016 7:40 PM

how it hits your forks then drops down is called a hop. you cant really fix it so youll need a new rim. i live in WA

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

1/30/2016 12:15 AM

The up and down movement is called an egg. You can get them out sometimes (unless it's a flat spot on the rim). You'll need to loosen all of your spokes, then retension evenly. Tighten the spokes where the rim goes up a bit more than where they go down (start with 1/2 a turn more where it's up, 1/2 a turn less where it's down). Don't tighten any spoke more than 1/2 a turn as you go, this will help you prevent over tightening although will take longer. If you have access to a truing stand, it will be a lot easier as you'll be able to see what spokes need more/less tension easier. Always start at the valve hole, then you know where you're at.

If you can't get it out by doing what Dave suggested, and you've got a spare spoke and nipple, just cut it with some bolt cutters.
If the spoke that's rounded is where the buckle is, and it's already too tight (which I'd assume it is, from having a rounded nipple) the rim might be bent, not just buckled. You can't true a bent rim.

Did someone build the wheel for you? Sounds like they done a terrible job of it. If not and it's factory built, machines are rubbish at building wheels too. The spokes are never pre stretched so they buckle really easily.

|