Rust in Headtube on New Frame?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/4/2021 11:32 AM

Got my new Darkwave frame today. Noticed that it looks rusty inside the head tube and where the bearing sits. The bike came from Florida where it's humid. Is this "normal," and should I return it? It's brand new, and I would rather not polish or paint anything. I expect perfection for a $400 BMX frame.

Photo
Photo

|

10/4/2021 11:39 AM

Yea seems fine, that looks like super super light surface rust. I wouldn't worry about it, could put a lil wd40 on a rag and rub it on there real quick and easy and I bet nearly most of it, if not all of it would come off with a rag. Super super light layer of rust

|

10/4/2021 12:13 PM

It's raw steel, it will oxidize over time. Get some gt85 and spray it in all the vent holes if you're worried about it. But it's completely normal

|

10/4/2021 12:33 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Yea seems fine, that looks like super super light surface rust. I wouldn't worry about it, could put a lil wd40 on a rag and ...more

Just rubbed it off with some Frog Lube smile. Thanks for the help, guys! It's f**king awesome knowing there's people in this community at the ready to help others like this. Keep BMX strong!

|

10/4/2021 1:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2021 1:40 PM

I’ve worked with my fair share of bmx frames and parts, and this is a pretty common thing I’ve seen. Especially right now considering a majority of these parts are sitting on ships out in the ocean for months to a year at a time while waiting to be cleared into the country.

As stated above, a little WD40 and a small wire brush will take that off in seconds if you need the peace of mind. Then just grease it like normal and it will be sealed up tight once built.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/5/2021 12:23 PM

It happens, especially if you're caught out in the rain multiple times. It's good to disassemble the bike every now and then for taking care of things like this for bike longevity.

About every 3 months I'll completely tear down piece by piece to clean, degrease (then apply fresh grease in all metal-on-metal points and bolts), and give everything a good visual inspection for cracks, dents, or fractures.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn