S&M Dagger vs Holy Diver vs ATF

Related:
Create New Tag

8/29/2019 6:00 PM

I really like the geo of the Holy Diver but unfortunately it doesn’t have integrated chain tensioners. Same with ATF. The Dagger does however have integrated tensioners but I’m not sure how I feel about the geo. It’s pretty extreme park geo. I’ve even seen some people online using it for flatland. I do a little bit of everything so I’m not sure how that frame would be on street or in dirt. Anyone ridden any of those frames?

|

8/29/2019 7:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2019 7:01 PM

Well there's a local kid around here who rides dirt and he's super super good, very freaking stylish just a type of guy I wish I could look like flowing around on dirt jumps. He rides a Dagger. However I've seen him at the skatepark a few times on it and he doesn't seem to ride at all just use it as a seat at the park. So, guess it'll work fine on dirt as this guy I speak of flats kills it.

That being said, a good rider can do anything on proabaly all sorts of different geo's. I've got an ATF and I really loved that frame. The ATF is kinda polar opposite of the Dagger though geo wise.

|

8/29/2019 7:38 PM

Just tighten your nuts/bolts properly

|

8/29/2019 7:52 PM

Did you check out the S&M DTF frame?

5" tall HT, street/ dirt/ park geo, built in chain tensioners and 21.5" TT option if you need the extra room...

|

8/30/2019 4:38 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Lmfao

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

8/30/2019 5:32 AM

chain tensioners are overrated in my opinion. They are a neat touch if the frame you like has them but i wouldn't require them as a need on my new frame. Mine always get mauled to hell anyway.

|

8/30/2019 5:46 AM

jmz313 wrote:

chain tensioners are overrated in my opinion. They are a neat touch if the frame you like has them but i wouldn't require them as a need on my new frame. Mine always get mauled to hell anyway.

Sounds like user error, if you use chain tensioners correctly they wouldn’t get mauled, well unless you have a Sunday their tensioners are garbage

I personally think chain tensioners are a must especially with plastic hub guards and peg sleeves because no matter how much you try to ruin your hub, bolts ect by over tightening that shits gonna move especially if you put in miles every time you ride

I don’t use my tensioners to push the wheel back i can do that just fine with my hands, i use them after the wheel is tightened down to ensure it cannot slip forward, I believe this is the proper way of using them especially if you have a female hub

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram

old edit

8/30/2019 6:27 AM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Sounds like user error, if you use chain tensioners correctly they wouldn’t get mauled, well unless you have a Sunday their tensioners are garbage

I personally think chain tensioners are a must especially with plastic hub guards and peg sleeves because no matter how much you try to ruin your hub, bolts ect by over tightening that shits gonna move especially if you put in miles every time you ride

I don’t use my tensioners to push the wheel back i can do that just fine with my hands, i use them after the wheel is tightened down to ensure it cannot slip forward, I believe this is the proper way of using them especially if you have a female hub

Interesting. I thought you exclusively ran your rear wheel slammed. But you use tensioners to keep it from moving. But it moves all the time.

|

8/30/2019 6:31 AM

I've never had issues with the Sunday tensioners; sounds like user error.

If "that shits gonna move", I'd say it's user error.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/30/2019 8:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2019 8:40 AM

Save the money you could spend on chain tensioner and buy some weights , sounds like your arms could use some more muscle so you can crank down those bolts properly so your wheel doesn’t move

|

8/30/2019 8:43 AM

jmz313 wrote:

ding ding ding sunday soundwave. Kink tensioners held up better but still got all mushroomed out.

|

8/30/2019 9:07 AM

jmz313 wrote:

ding ding ding sunday soundwave. Kink tensioners held up better but still got all mushroomed out.

That means you're overtightening them.

They're made of a relatively soft material to avoid messing up the axle threads. If you overtighten them, they're going to get mushroomed.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/30/2019 10:27 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Well there's a local kid around here who rides dirt and he's super super good, very freaking stylish just a type of guy I wish I could look like flowing around on dirt jumps. He rides a Dagger. However I've seen him at the skatepark a few times on it and he doesn't seem to ride at all just use it as a seat at the park. So, guess it'll work fine on dirt as this guy I speak of flats kills it.

That being said, a good rider can do anything on proabaly all sorts of different geo's. I've got an ATF and I really loved that frame. The ATF is kinda polar opposite of the Dagger though geo wise.

I know what you mean, I see that a lot with spines. Some people can just naturally hit a spine so fluid

|

8/30/2019 10:28 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

Did you check out the S&M DTF frame?

5" tall HT, street/ dirt/ park geo, built in chain tensioners and 21.5" TT option if you need the extra room...

I did check that frame out but the thing about that frame is that the smallest size is 20.75 tt. I was wanting a 20.5 tt

|

8/30/2019 10:30 AM

jmz313 wrote:

Good input. I’ve heard mostly good things about them but at the same time I could see how 1 good slamming of the rear rear could mess them up. Worst case backing the bolt out and stripping the threads

|

8/30/2019 10:31 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I understand but for a frame in the price range of the S&M’s I feel like it should have integrated tensioners

|

8/30/2019 10:33 AM

Chain tensioner are a great thing, but I think in your case it shouldn’t be the #1 priority among these frames. Your right in saying the Dagger is a bit on the aggressive side for geo, I have a similar frame to it and it’s indeed a different feeling to most. It also has a very low standover, which can make running a tall seatpost to compensate look unnecessarily high, if you run high seats.

That being said, I’d say that if you want a more “normal” frame, pick between the Diver and ATF.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

8/30/2019 11:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2019 7:53 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Brandon9412 wrote:

I understand but for a frame in the price range of the S&M’s I feel like it should have integrated tensioners

How many people that ride an S&m frame care whether it has chain tensioners or not? Probably non of them.

As oneeyetrousersnake or whatever his name is said, it’s only an issue if you use plastic pegs and plastic hub guards. But there’s still simple ways around it.

|

8/30/2019 2:48 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Brandon9412 wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

How many people that ride an S&m frame care whether it has chain tensioners or not? Probably non of them.

As oneeyetrousersnake or whatever his name is said, it’s only an issue if you use plastic pegs and plastic hub guards. But there’s still simple ways around it.

True there are ways around it like finding a small ball bearing, pin for a chain or the thingy in between the plates, theres lots of stuff to place behind the axle that will work but not as good as a chain tensioner lol

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

8/31/2019 6:31 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Brandon9412 wrote:

I've run a bunch of different s/m frames. Begins sig, bonesaw, atf, whammo. None had tensioners. I never felt like I need tensiorners.

|