S&M ATF versus CCR

Related:
Create New Tag

12/4/2017 10:52 PM

Hey all,

I built a 20” ATF this year after riding a 22” wheeled ATF for the last couple years. I’m injured for a bit and wondering what I should feel for a difference if I were to switch to a CCR frame for my 20” bike. Also, I’m almost exclusively a dirt jumper.

Thanks

|

Pedaling anywhere after a roll-in makes me sad

12/4/2017 11:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2017 11:14 PM

I read your post backwards at first...sorry, Im tired as shit.

I dont think you will like a 20" at first. It will feel unstable, but you will get used to it, like anything. You might feel like you will loop out easier. I know if I ride my 26" around and try to hop it then ride my 20" right after I fly off when I hop...lol

If you dirt jump exclusively, or almost exclusively, I dont think you will appreciate a smaller bike as much as you would a larger one; unless youre just looking to spice things up.

...but its worth a try! You might fall in love!

Also, dont take my response as me being negative, just thinking about your proposal from the perspective you presented.

I personally like the versatility of a smaller, lighter bike but Im not you so I can never truly see from your perspective.

|

12/5/2017 12:03 AM

I ride mostly trails. I have ridden all three bikes you have mention on legit dirt jumps/trails.

If I was on a 20 inch, I"d go with a Fit Hartbreaker (my current bike) or a CCR before I went with a 20 inch ATF.

I've had a few 22 inch bikes over the years too. I love the lower BB of the Hartbreaker. But the CCR is ace too. can't go wrong either way.

|

12/5/2017 12:31 AM

the CCR got a lower BB, a longer rear end and a shallower HT angle.

so it basically shoud feel more stable on trails but its also less responsible.
be aware that you'll need a 10mm rear hub to fit into the CCR.

i rode both, the CCR and the M.O.D (bikes of the homies) and they both felt great.

i'd stick with the ATF as you already got it

|

IG: @_almost_crook

12/5/2017 12:41 AM

The ccr will be more stable, so will feel a bit more like a 22" (bigger wheels equal less responsive). And if you're exclusively on trails it'll be badass, maybe even the black magic instead, as that's even longer. If you ride a bit of everything, the mod is a bit more responsive than the ccr, but still more stable than an atf.
You could also look at the fbm steadfast (similar geo to the mod) and the T1 sfa (also similar to the mod). All badass frames, you can't really go wrong with any of them, apart from the atf might be a bit squirrely on trails at first, compared the 22"

|

12/5/2017 7:41 AM

All good feedback. We have some fairly large jumps at the Cottage Grove Bike Park and I don’t feel like I need any more stability so maybe I’ll stick with the geo I know and am used to, the ATF and get a 21” TT in that and see if it fits me better than my current 21.5”tt

|

12/5/2017 7:45 AM

rsgreening wrote:

All good feedback. We have some fairly large jumps at the Cottage Grove Bike Park and I don’t feel like I need any more stability so maybe I’ll stick with the geo I know and am used to, the ATF and get a 21” TT in that and see if it fits me better than my current 21.5”tt

If you are interested in selling the 21.5 ATF, let me know!

|

12/5/2017 7:53 AM

I am, shoot me a message at 6123258181 and I can send some pics when I get my car and bike back. I got hurt last night and can’t get back to my car until my wife gets off work tonight so that’s the earliest I’d send up to date pics. But I should have a couple from the last few months anyway.

|

12/5/2017 10:59 AM

rsgreening wrote:

Thing is, a 20" wheeled bike will naturally feel more responsive than a 22".so while your 22" atf felt stable, the 20" will feel completely different

|

12/5/2017 11:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2017 11:07 AM

I should clarify, I have 6 months on the 20” wheeled ATF with 21.5” tt and am more comfortable than I ever was on the 22” wheeler with 21.625tt. I’m now thinking of just sticking with the ATF model but going to try a 21” top tube as it should fit me better.

I’ve ridden some slacker bikes like a Deluxe and wasn’t very comfortable.

Only problem is all 21” TT atfs are currently out of stock.

|