S&M Challenger made it a lot easier for me to manual...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2018 5:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 6:05 PM

So, I bought a Mongoose l100 last week, and I've been trying to learn how to manual.

It's been a real bitch trying to get up into a manual for any amount of distance!

Since the Mongoose has a bunch of lower-end parts, I ordered a few upgrades to make sure I don't smash my face when I go to the park (a friend said he would take me soon).

The parts I've upgraded to are as follows:

- S&M seat post clamp
- S&M Challenger stem
- Odyssey Twisted PC Pro pedals
- ODI no-flange grips

- I also ordered an Odyssey 28T La Guardia sprocket (I go on long bike rides in flat Indiana), but I haven't installed it yet.

Once I upgraded my stem, I noticed something amazing. I could immediately manual at least 200% better than I was able to before upgrading. I could barely get up for even a second before upgrading, but during my first time out after installing the new stem I was manualling 2+ parking spaces.

My anecdote: if you're having trouble manualling, get a stem that raises up your bars. I didn't even do this on purpose, but I am so happy with the outcome!

Here's a pic of my l100 after I added the new parts. I put an OFG bmx (Old Fat Guy bmx) sticker on my top-tube, because that's what I am, and that's what I care about advertising!

Photo

Thanks!

|

6/13/2018 5:24 PM

Cool! I just practiced my ass off for manuals, and I guess I'm decent at manuals...

But holy crap those bars are hella moved back lollaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/13/2018 5:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 5:33 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Cool! I just practiced my ass off for manuals, and I guess I'm decent at manuals...

But holy crap those bars are hella moved ...more

I don't know what I'm doing, yet. I started last week. I just matched my bar angle to my fork rake. I'm certainly curious to know your advice!

|

6/13/2018 5:53 PM

I think the bars are just at an angle that makes them look as though they are back.

Looks good though man!

|

6/13/2018 6:43 PM

nice! i need to practice manuals

|

It’s all bmx

6/13/2018 7:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 7:27 PM

Manuals hurt my knee too much...I was getting the hang of them at one point, most I could get was 4 parking spaces but I was able to hop out of them too... Maybe my knee will be better in the future I doubt it. Hasnt felt good since the surgery and 8 months before that...and that was like 2-3 years ago or something.

|

6/13/2018 7:25 PM

Also, I cant tell from the pic but do you have the seat post at least 1 or 2 inches past the seat stays? If not I would recommend adjusting it down a bit since if you crash and land on the seat you could possibly damage your frame's seat tube.

|

6/13/2018 9:08 PM

Props on the challenger stem, the product description for that is possibly the best ever in bmx!

|

6/13/2018 9:42 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I think the bars are just at an angle that makes them look as though they are back.

Looks good though man!

Yeah I think you're right, it definitely could be the angle of the pic making the bars look weird. And yeah, like Bullet also said, move your seat down some more, just to be safe...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/14/2018 12:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2018 12:56 AM

They definitely seem easier with higher bars. I'm awful at manuals, for some reason I find them scarier than most other tricks that people struggle to commit too, even though I've practiced looping out and I know I'm not going to fall on my arse. I think my old metal MTB pedals with huge pins put me off as my feet stuck to the pedals a few times and pain followed. High bars seem less scary as you don't have to lean back quite as much or pull up as hard.

|

6/14/2018 4:06 AM

Not sure it will make any difference to my manuals, but that is one damn sexy stem and has been firmly imprinted on my wish list.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

6/14/2018 4:15 AM

Higher bars makes the bike easier to lift up and changes the balance point for manuals, manualing a 2 parking spaces is a great start but you still need to find the balance point, and then you'll be able to manual the whole parking lot.

|

6/14/2018 6:45 AM

I've been scared of manuals ever since looping out on a wheelie in front of loads of kids in my school. (This was probably 2-3 years before I got a BMX)
But the real reason I that I'm just too lazy to learn them properly

|

Hmmm

6/14/2018 3:39 PM

Challenger Stem....check
Manuals....

NOPE!! I’ve been trying my balls off but I can’t get it dialled. I’ve started on fakies and I’m more natural at it. Just need to figure the 180 triple tap bar nose bonk out. Or just ride backwards till I die

|

If you build it, they will come

6/14/2018 7:37 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

But holy crap those bars are hella moved ...more

Dude I was thinking the same thing..thats probably what hurt the manny

|