S&M Cymbal DSG w/ Z Coaster?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/26/2017 1:22 AM

Please tell me someone here can confirm that the S&M Cymbal rear guards fit on a Z Coaster cause I really don't wanna ride any other hub guards lol

|

12/26/2017 8:38 AM

Ride no hub guards then

|

12/26/2017 8:56 AM

Yes it will fit. You may or may not need to add spacers under it, & will have to spread your frame accordingly if so.

Just save money and get some hardware-replacing guards that guarantee a perfect fit. You're just going to beat and grind the logo off of it anyways..

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/26/2017 9:25 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Yes it will fit. You may or may not need to add spacers under it, & will have to spread your frame accordingly if so.

...more

It's not about the logo lol they're chromoly hub guards they're practically indestructible

|

12/26/2017 9:28 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Ride no hub guards then

Lmao yeah right on a $350 hub the last thing I wanna hit is that driver

|

12/26/2017 9:29 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

...more

PapiChuloDru wrote:

It's not about the logo lol they're chromoly hub guards they're practically indestructible

There's at least 10 other chromoly hub guards on the market for half the price of the Cymbals, and that are guaranteed to fit.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

12/26/2017 9:31 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Ride no hub guards then

PapiChuloDru wrote:

Lmao yeah right on a $350 hub the last thing I wanna hit is that driver

Especially if you're talking about a DSG.. get a Gsport Uniguard to protect your driver/drop out. Way cheaper, protects more, has anti slip pins, fits every hub, and is constructed from 4140 chromoly.

|

12/26/2017 9:35 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Especially if you're talking about a DSG.. get a Gsport Uniguard to protect your driver/drop out. Way cheaper, protects more, ...more

That thing is chromoly? I had no idea

|

12/26/2017 9:46 AM

Primo, Eclat, Gsport, Kink, Division, etc. all make chromoly DSGs.

I prefer the Uniguard because it's pretty cheap, and goes on the outside of the drop out, so it keeps you from hanging up on the drop out or bending it. You also don't have to worry about spacers or stretching your frame.

Although, I personally would prefer to run a plastic DSG if I wasn't running the Clutch hub. There's a lot of good plastic DSGs that are even cheaper & replace the hardware,. They're fairly durable in my experience, and even when they do wear through or crack, you can just cut off that piece of plastic and rotate it down onto fresh plastic. I ran a plastic primo DSG for over a year and never had to replace it. Also they're a whole lot lighter, which is nice with 4 pegs and guards.

|

12/26/2017 9:56 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Primo, Eclat, Gsport, Kink, Division, etc. all make chromoly DSGs.

I prefer the Uniguard because it's pretty cheap, and goes ...more

I don't mind plastic I just have this crazy OCD thing where my pegs and guards have to match and I'm running 4 metal pegs currently so I'll look into the Uniguard for sure

|

12/26/2017 10:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 10:32 AM

Yeah it'll work... My buddy had and old S&M Cymbal hub guard off his old wheel he gave me for my new Profile Mini... so yeah, it should work....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/26/2017 10:34 AM

Oh wait lol o just realized you're looking at the drive side guard, I've got the non- drive side one... but yeah like Tim said, get a Gsport Uniguard, those are good...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/26/2017 1:31 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Especially if you're talking about a DSG.. get a Gsport Uniguard to protect your driver/drop out. Way cheaper, protects more, ...more

I got a uniguard for my z coaster. It rubbed on the chain a lot. The axles are also kind of short so even if it doesn't rub on your chain there probably won't be enough axle to even run pegs.

|

12/26/2017 1:45 PM

sean_gillis wrote:

I got a uniguard for my z coaster. It rubbed on the chain a lot. The axles are also kind of short so even if it doesn't rub on ...more

Did you have it on the outside of your drop out as recommended? Im A bit confused.. I run a Clutch, not a zcoaster, but my Uniguard has a pretty good amount of clearance, more than any other DSG I've had. I can't imagine it would be that much different on the zcoaster.

& what kind of axle are you running? You should be using 14mm male with pegs and hubguards.. I dont know of any universal 3/8" DSGs, and grinding on 3/8" bolts isn't the best idea to begin with.

Also, the guard is only as thick as a washer.. if you're running a 14mm axle and it's really too short somehow, just remove the washer that comes with the hub to make room for it..

|

12/26/2017 1:46 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Did you have it on the outside of your drop out as recommended? Im A bit confused.. I run a Clutch, not a zcoaster, but my ...more

My uni guard came with a 3/8ths hole and I had to file it out

|

Hmmm

12/26/2017 2:20 PM

I’ve rode for 20 years never once had a hub guard , always grinded my main side as my drive side , ran 350$ profile titanium upgraded hubs , my hubs and drivers have been fine , is grinding pegs uncool or something these days ? Or is this some trend I’ve never heard about where people buy hub guards to intentionally smash and grind on them?

|

12/26/2017 2:40 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I’ve rode for 20 years never once had a hub guard , always grinded my main side as my drive side , ran 350$ profile titanium ...more

Well I've noticed without hub guards my wheel used to touch the rail on grinds and it would slow down my grind which is obviously bad cause not only does it slow you down but if your wheel is touching you're probably grinding your spokes to shit. Also the slope that hub guards have helps to slide your bike down onto your peg and not your dropout or something like that. They also protect your spokes because of that. And for everyone else that rides their drivetrain on their switch side, hub guards protect your driver and the rest of your switch side from the inevitable abuse you will put on your chain and driver and spokes of course that comes with learning switch grinds cause they're not comfortable at all in the beginning and you're not really sure how to throw yourself on a rail or ledge on the opposite side. Hub guards basically just mean extra protection so you don't break your bike along with yourself

|

12/26/2017 4:49 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I’ve rode for 20 years never once had a hub guard , always grinded my main side as my drive side , ran 350$ profile titanium ...more

do you always have a dick up your ass with this kind of thing? like I said in a previous thread awhile back where you said the same thing, not everyone is an A+ precision grinder who can perfectly get their pegs and pegs alone on the ledge/rail. Not even pro riders can do that 100% of the time. Also look how big dropouts were back then, you didn't need hub guards with those things, they practically did the work for you and as long as you landed on your pegs (which, you obviously being a god at landing pegs only 100% of the time always did) wouldn't need to worry about sliding onto your hubs mid-grind. Not to mention he's looking at a drive-side guard to protect his chain/driver more than anything

keeps your hubs from looking like this and preventing damage to the bearing (which sits directly where the hub gets beaten/grinded on) and the driver as well. Sure, you might have only nicked the hubs a few times, but if you're grinding a lot, a few times becomes a lot and can do quite a bit of damage. Plus they protect the heads of the spokes preventing them from breaking.

Photo

plus chromoly hub guards slide so much better and make every grind faster as a result. The S&M Cymbal might need the dropouts spread to fit, as stated already. If you already have pegs on your non-drive side, there's a high chance it'll be a bitch to spread the dropouts further, especially if you need spacers. I'd say go for the uni-guard to avoid all that hassle. Plus you don't need to take your wheel off to put it on/take it off. I had one when I rode a 4th peg in the rear and I liked that about it. It slid nicely and probably the best part of it was it has an anti-spin pin in it, meaning if you slam down onto it it won't shift like the Cymbal would

|

12/26/2017 5:18 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

do you always have a dick up your ass with this kind of thing? like I said in a previous thread awhile back where you said the ...more

Lmao alright cool so uniguard for drive side and cymbal for non drive side should work fine yeah?

|

12/26/2017 5:24 PM

PapiChuloDru wrote:

Lmao alright cool so uniguard for drive side and cymbal for non drive side should work fine yeah?

Should be fine. Do you already have the non-drive side one? If not, keep in mind when you install it you might to add a washer or two so it doesn't rub the spokes (They include some washers so don't worry about getting some) It's a really good guard though, mine's over 5 years old now and only has a couple dings in it with as much as I grind.

I only rode the uni-guard for a couple of months but it held up just fine so you should be good, just make sure the anti-spin pin is tight. Mine was a little loose when I first got it

|

12/26/2017 8:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 8:03 PM

PapiChuloDru wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of having to use a bunch of spacers and needing to spread the frame ridiculously wide just to get your wheel in. Also not a fan of spending $45 on a hubguard when there's plenty of options for less than half that, but to each their own if you really like the cymbal that much.

I would personally run another Uniguard on the non drive side before the Cymbal. Or look into the Daily Grind Infinity hub guard, things bomb proof and made to fit even the wider hubs on the market without any washers. Really cool design too, made from super thick 4150 chromoly to slide like butter. It fit my Gsport Ratchet without any spacers, when my OG Daily Grind guard needed 3 whole washers to keep it off the spokes.

|

12/28/2017 1:49 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of having to use a bunch of spacers and needing to spread the frame ridiculously wide just to get your ...more

If you have any suggestions for cheaper chromoly hub guards I'm all ears I'm only referring to the Cymbals cause they're the only ones that come to mind lol

|

12/28/2017 8:05 AM

PapiChuloDru wrote:

If you have any suggestions for cheaper chromoly hub guards I'm all ears I'm only referring to the Cymbals cause they're the ...more

The uni guard is chromoly and it can go on both sides.

|

Hmmm