S&M Tall boy frame - HELP

Related:
Create New Tag

2/14/2016 4:55 PM

i'm going to order this frame in the near future , and i don't know if it's going to fit my current bike.

i really need your help regarding this, i don't wanna throw a way more than $450 (price after shipping&customs) away.

My Bike :https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/method.02.gray.black/8913/48636/#specifications

FRAME

Sizes 20" Wheel
Colors Satin Gray/Black, Satin White/Olive Green
Frame Tapered High-Tensile, Low-Profile U-Brake Mounts, Mid-BB, Removable Rotor Tabs
Fork Tapered High-Tensile Legs, Chromoly Steerer
Shock N/A
COMPONENTS
Handlebar Steel, 8" Rise
Stem Giant Front Load Alloy, 1-1/8"
Seatpost Alloy
Saddle Giant 2-Piece Plastic
Pedals Odyssey Twisted PC
DRIVETRAIN
Shifters N/A
Front Derailleur N/A
Rear Derailleur N/A
Brakes Tektro 907A U-Brake, Clear Pads
Brake Levers Tektro Alloy
Cassette 9T, 1-Piece Driver
Chain KMC Z410
Crankset 3-Piece Tubular Chromoly, 175mm, 25T Steel
Bottom Bracket Mid Sealed
WHEELS
Rims Alloy
Hubs [F] Alloy 3/8" Axle, [R] Alloy Loose Ball Cassette 14mm Axle, 36h
Spokes BED Stainless
Tires Giant Sole-O 20x1.95

frame : http://www.sandmbikes.com/product/hardgoods/frames/crumlish-sig-tall-boy-frame/

TOP TUBE LENGTH: 21.5″
REAR END LENGTH: 13.475″
HEAD TUBE ANGLE: 75°
HEAD TUBE STYLE: Integrated (45°/45°, 41.8mm)
SEAT TUBE ANGLE: 71°
SEAT CLAMP: Integrated
SEAT POST SIZE: 1″ (25.4mm)
BB HEIGHT: 11.7″
BB STYLE: Mid w/EZ-out punch slots
STANDOVER HEIGHT: 9.2″
BRAKE MOUNTS: 5 Degree Angled 990 Mounts (Thread-On 990 kit sold separately) and removable angled cable guide (included)
DROPOUTS: 14mm Slot, 4Q-Baked
GYRO TABS: None
WEIGHT:
21.5″: 5.1lbs/2.31kg

|

2/14/2016 5:14 PM

Should be fine . Maybe a new BB and headset at the most.

Seems like the bike your riding is a beginner type model . Maybe you should invest money into a new , higher end complete than a new frame. save some cash and get a whole bike !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/14/2016 5:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2016 5:22 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Should be fine . Maybe a new BB and headset at the most.

Seems like the bike your riding is a beginner type model . Maybe you should invest money into a new , higher end complete than a new frame. save some cash and get a whole bike !

i'm running that bike with custom bars, stem, sprocket and a chain. all im gonna have to deal with after getting the new frame is the fork and the wheelset. but i'm not sure my axles are gonna fit the frame's drop outs ..

|

2/14/2016 5:24 PM

Not any compatibility problem, everything will fit well, a new BB and headset cannot be bad tho.
Also nice choice, the geometry is perfect.

|

2/14/2016 5:32 PM

I have doubts about the fork working with that big headtube.

|

2/14/2016 5:39 PM

S&M tall boys run 14mm dropouts so your current rear wheel, if it is 14mm, will work. And if you're forks and front wheel are 3/8 than that works too. Like braydon said you will have to buy a new BB and headset, everything else can wait.

I would say you are doing it right. You're buying the most expensive thing first and getting it out of the way. After that you will be able to drop a few bucks here and there and replace the more inexpensive parts. Next thing you should replace are those steel bars and that looseball wheelset. Forks should be a top priority too. But you definitely have a sweet frame to build around.

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

2/14/2016 5:41 PM

yeah but i'm still not sure about 1-1/8" fork fitting the frame's headtube .. what do you think ?

|

2/14/2016 5:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2016 6:24 PM

1-1/8 is the standard size, so it will work. On an unrelated note just make sure the headset you buy is a campy headset (45/45) and not a 36/45.

|

2/14/2016 6:06 PM

Cedrik Storm wrote:

1-1/8 is the standard size, so it will work. On an unrelated note just make sure the headset you buy is a campy headset (45/45) and not a 36/45.

thanks bro. one last favor,can you please help me pick the headset and the mid BB ? i'm lacking experience tbh

|

2/14/2016 6:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2016 6:54 PM

Headset:
Animal
Demolition
Eclat
Merritt
Odyssey tall
Odyssey short
Tree

There are more but really any headset that says campy will work. I noticed the Shadow headset doesn't come with a race so that won't work with your fork, so if it says it doesn't come with a race go with something else (unless you want to take the race off your old headset and make it work).

As far as the BB i am not 100% sure your spindle size but if it is a stock crank it is likely 19mm. If you have some after market cranks i would check to see if they are the bigger 22mm.

19mm BB:
Animal
Demolition
Eclat
Madera
Odyssey
Shadow

Again, there are others. But the main thing you are looking for here is a Mid 19mm BB (unless you have the heavier duty 22mm cranks, in which case look for a Mid 22mm BB ).

|

2/15/2016 3:04 AM

Steerer tube length?? The head tube is extra tall on the tall boy, and many completes are built with stock geo that may be too short for the new frame.
Measure your steerer tube(from the top to the bottom of the headset races)for compatibility.

I vote save for a new bike. It will be very sweet to purchase the best complete or build a custom bike with all new parts.. I did last year for 800$ after shipping cost, which could be done for even less without splurging and careful order placing.. ride your current bike to death, so you have a reason for a new one! Cheers!

|

2/15/2016 4:18 AM

i have a reason for a new frame, im running a 20" frame and i'm 6 feet tall. can't even do manuals/fakies properly

|

2/15/2016 2:50 PM

i ride a 20.4 and im 6 foot lol. and its fine.

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

2/15/2016 3:01 PM

aussiebmxer wrote:

i ride a 20.4 and im 6 foot lol. and its fine.

Maybe for you (and also maybe because you didn't try bigger) but I'm 6 feet tall too and get a 21.5" frame was the best idea ever coming from a 21".

|

2/15/2016 3:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2016 3:05 PM

A frame will not help you fakie or manual. That comes from actually riding your bike.. Watch ethan corriere on the fit prospect with a 20.25 toptube. There are many great completes with 21" toptubes and in your price range. Fit vh1

|

2/15/2016 3:30 PM

It is easier to manual and fakie a frame that fits your height. A small frame is much easier to loop out on, than a longer frame. Fakieing a short frame gives you less area for balancing where you have to be more vertical in your body positioning rather than being able to stretch your body and lean into it more. The reason you guys don't have a problem with it is because its your preference to ride a smaller frame. There are some benefits to being able to throw around a smaller frame but obviously the OP doesn't feel as comfortable as you on a shorter frame, which is reasonable.

Get what you want man. Buying a complete wouldn't be a bad idea. It would save you money in the long term and give you better all-around parts in the short term. But if you don't mind buying higher-end components to add to your frame go for it.

|