S&M frame. HELP PLEASE

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2014 1:01 PM

Right to start with I hope this is the right place on here to post this. Sorry if not I'm new.

I am looking for a new frame and after researching it seems S&M is a great choice.

I want to get something that is good for street as I cant ride much dirt where I live now.
Maybe something easier to throw around than my current frame and do a little better with spins manuals.

I have a ruben T1 2008 at the moment. I'm not sure of the geo but it seems when measuring to have:
rear end length ~ 13.75 - 14"
TT ~ 20.25
I think T1 rubens tend to have 74 degree HA?

I think its too small for me as I am 6ft and think I need something in the 21"TT region for leg room.
I don't know whether my TT size needs to change depending on the length of the chainstay either?

I am looking at these 3 S&M frames really. All have HA 75 degrees. SA 71 degrees

BTM
rear end length 13.050″-13.50″
bb height 11.5"
standover height 8.75"
weight ~ 4.68lbs

Hucker
rear end length 13.3"
bb height 11.7"
standover height 8.8"
weight 4.86 lbs

ATF
rear end length 13.4″-13.875″
bb height 11.7"
standover height 8.5"
weight ~ 4.65lbs

Can someone give me some advice on what you think?
I know its preference but I would like to know your thought process at least.

I know Hucker rides a lot of dirt and stuff but it seems his geo is pretty good for street?
Is that because hes short and the backend is pretty long for him?

Any help would be great guys.

Plus if anyone has any of the frames and can tell me about them that would be great.
Or if anyone knows how big a back tire these frames fit when slammed?

Thanks

|

8/12/2014 1:14 PM

Any of those would be good for street. I would get a BTM because hoder is awesome.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

8/12/2014 1:20 PM

Yeh I keep going back and forth.
The only thing I am worried about with the BTM is that it is a drastic change from my current frames rear end.
I was thinking that the Hucker is like in between the ATF and BTM in terms of rear end length.
But I haven't seen a single review on the Hucker so I dno.

Is a 21inch BTM going to suit someone thats 6ft? It sucks that I don't know anyone with these frames to try.

|

8/12/2014 1:30 PM

All of the frames you mentioned are good choices.

The BTM is a street machine, it is very popular around here and you will definitely be in to it. The Hucker feels very similar geo wise so I'm sure you'd be happy with that too.

The ATF is noticeably longer in the back end. It is very well balanced and ready for anything. It doesn't feel as responsive as the other two though.

21" is a great size for a 6' tall person. If you want to go a little longer, you'd be fine with that too.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/12/2014 1:41 PM

thanks transition_chris.
I guess I can always pull the wheel back half an inch if its feeling a bit too short at the back on the BTM.
Anyone seen reviews for the Hucker? I've only managed to find some people unpacking it which is annoying as I don't really care what it looks like.
Just don't want to get the BTM then find some crazy dirt jumps somewhere close and regret it.

|

8/12/2014 1:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2014 1:52 PM

Keep in mind you can still ride trails ( and park) with a frame with more "tech"'geometry

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

8/12/2014 2:27 PM

I have the 21.25" TT btm and I love it, had a 13.75 before and it took a week two to get used to it, but I also had a 20" top tube on the bike before it, so really when moving to the 21.25 TT it was much more comfortable all around. I'm about 6'1 and the 21.25 btm is great. But I don't ride trails at all, I ride street and park now and then, if you ride park be ready to compensate the shorter rear when dropping in bowls or quarters because it will roll out from under you very easy lol

|

8/12/2014 2:37 PM

I guess I could just grow a pair and bubble wrap my ass if I find any trails or ride park.
Its starting to look like BTM then.
WoahD have you had any trouble with catching your feet on your pegs? or are you pegless?

|

8/12/2014 2:46 PM

oh and what size tire do you run in the back? much clearance?

|

8/12/2014 3:24 PM

I'd get the hucker purely because I find 13 to be a little to short for a rear end and you never see them which makes it the cooler of the two in my eyes (the build quality will be the same if anything its probably stronger)

|

8/12/2014 3:29 PM

I do like how the Hucker is in the middle of the two.
What length rear end do you have JoeDavidson?

|

8/12/2014 3:32 PM

ATF is a really sick, very balanced, all around frame.

Hucker is really close Geo wise. Personally, I would go with one of those. In fact, I have an ATF frame I ride sometimes just for a change of pace.

|

8/12/2014 3:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2014 6:14 PM

whitezombie1932 wrote:

I guess I could just grow a pair and bubble wrap my ass if I find any trails or ride park.
Its starting to look like BTM ...more

I did have a 2.35 momentum in the rear but It was very close and couldn't be slammed so I had to leave an extra link in the chain and move it to the middle of the dropouts but I have hawk 2.2 now and it fits very easily. it's really not that bad on trails or park just something u will need to get used to. But it's just like any bike after getting comfortable on it everything will feel natural. I don't run pegs , I Don't think it'd be an issue though. I wear size 13 and it wouldn't affect me because of where I put my feet on the pedals but some people ride with their feet further back and it might be an issue then

|

8/12/2014 7:46 PM

21 inch hucker frame out of those is what I'd choose , btm isn't a bad choice either

|

8/12/2014 8:35 PM

Starting to think that the Hucker might be the most all round frame out of the BTM. I think ATF can be ruled out as there are no trails in the city.
Would be nice to hear from someone with a Hucker.
Still have a week or two before I have the cash for this anyway.
Thanks for the replys so far everyone.

|

8/12/2014 9:29 PM

whitezombie1932 wrote:

Starting to think that the Hucker might be the most all round frame out of the BTM. I think ATF can be ruled out as there are ...more

i own an atf, good all around geo for just about anything
i would go for the hucker simply for the standover,as 8.5 is not what i want personally
if anything, if there are no trails, i wouldnt go for any of those because manuals with a short cs are really hard to balance and feel inconsistent as shit
look into other frames, s&m isnt probably the best or only good choice in my opinion, and limiting yourself to one brand is a bad idea

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/12/2014 11:43 PM

JoeDavidson wrote:

I'd get the hucker purely because I find 13 to be a little to short for a rear end and you never see them which makes it the ...more

13.2 which is short enough, went down too a 13 and then went back

|

8/13/2014 12:38 AM

ok hucker it is. now 21 or 20.75 TT
I'm 6ft pretty much or at least that's what I say maybe 1/4"-1/8" under.
I think I may have to take a leap of faith and fix it with stem reach if I get it wrong.

|

8/13/2014 1:22 AM

go for a 21, that's pretty average for 6footers

|

8/13/2014 3:00 AM

I am very tempted to see if I can really throw a 20.75 around though?

|

8/13/2014 3:17 AM

whitezombie1932 wrote:

I am very tempted to see if I can really throw a 20.75 around though?

you might feel cramped up but as you are coming from a 20.25 you would probably be alright

|

8/13/2014 6:28 AM

JoeDavidson wrote:

you might feel cramped up but as you are coming from a 20.25 you would probably be alright

yeh i run a 45mm stem with 9inch rise bars. think they probably cancel each other out. 21 or 20.75 is a tough one. too many choices

|

8/13/2014 8:34 AM

I'm only 510 and I don't think ill ever ride another frame under 21 if anything I'll go bigger , my custom ltf is pretty close geo to the 21 inch hucker I love my frame

|

8/13/2014 10:31 AM

those 3 frames are almost the same. pick the one in your favorite color and with the best stickers

|

It’s all bmx

8/13/2014 12:15 PM

I think I am going with the Hucker 20.75.
Coming from a shorter top tube I am sure it will be fine. (I hope).
Not too fussed about colours and stickers. It all ends up raw or matt black after a few weeks/month.

Thanks for all the help everyone, appreciate it.

|

8/13/2014 1:53 PM

no problem, hope you like it!

|

8/14/2014 12:25 PM

Bought the Hucker 20.75" going to be so poor for the next two weeks. Hope it stops raining soon I want to ride it.

|