SHOES! Stiff or Flexy?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/1/2019 6:31 PM

I miss the stiffness and padding of the older stitched sole puffy skate shoes, but not the puffyness. These ultra flexy vulcanized “feel everything” shoes of todays techy curb skaters aint the best (for my uses). N we kinda rely on the skate industry for shoes unfortunately. Rn I just rock canvas Vans for the slim fit, but the sole detaches because my foot takes on an ugly banana shape around the pedals. Same with basically everyone in any edits from the oast few years.

What do you like?

Shoes OMG!

View Results

|

3/1/2019 6:43 PM

Vulcanized shoes suck. Personally I usually wear a slim cupsole. It has the board feel(pedals) with more protection. I only get shoes from Emerica, es, lakai, circa, etnies (not much)

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/1/2019 7:03 PM

I like how Vans pros feel for riding. Classics are for casual wear.

|

3/1/2019 11:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2019 11:26 PM

Etnies jameson 2 eco have a stiffer and longer lasting sole than any other shoes I've had in recent years. The soles are made from recycled rubber, so I guess that's why. I can get about 9 months out of a pair, whereas everything else I've tried has lasted maybe 2 months. They're not the most comfortable though, but they do grip well. They usually get too floppy before the sole is too worn.

I prefer the feel of stiffer soles, but once they've worn in. I don't like floppy shoes, but I also don't like them super rigid. There has to be some pedal feel there

|

3/2/2019 12:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2019 12:35 AM

If you've been wearing Vans for a long time and go back to wearing big padded skate shoes, it feels like you have pillows wrapped around your feet I usually ride in Vans though because the puffiness gets in the way, and because they're more secure around my feet since they're tied tight. I leave my big skate shoes permanently knotted loose and unfortunately that's a good way to break an ankle if you stomp down crooked. I find I slip off pc pedals alot more with skate shoes though. The rubber compound isn't as soft and grippy as Vans, so unless you have good pins on your pc pedals or alloys, you're probably gonna slip them unfortunately....

Skate shoes are so much more comfortable for daily casual wear though. If you can get past the fact they aren't trendy anymore, they're well worth it. I have DVS Celsius Deegans now that I've had for a couple years and they're still in good shape. I'd prefer a different style of DVS's personally like Durham's, but these are what was available at the time so it is what it is. Nothing better than the feeling of a fresh pair of skate shoes and new socks. I laugh every time someone tries to tell me how comfortable and great his new Vans are though. Like yeah I bet..

|

3/2/2019 6:30 AM

I hate stiff shoes. Made me feel like I was riding in bricks and I couldn’t feel my pedal pins very well when trying to adjust my feel on the pedals for certain tricks

I’ve been riding in Etnies Marana vulcs for awhile now and I like them

paired with a set of FP Insoles, they’re amazing

|

3/2/2019 8:20 AM

I love the way all my Vans Pro model shoes have felt, they're great. Then for casual I wear my boots lmao

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/2/2019 10:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2019 10:26 AM

I have worn, and rode in Chuck Taylors for jillions of years...it was the only shoe I ever owned as a kid cause they were cheap, light weight, and cool...all of the punx and metalheads wore them. Plus, in the 80's around here, you could not get "skate shoes"...all of the skaters wore Chucks as well, or just regular athletic shoes...you didn 't see skate shoes in shops around here till the 90's

About 3 years ago I got a pair of Adidas Seely's from Dan's, and used those. Not too stiff, but definitely more support than Chucks. They are completely trashed now, so I am looking to get something else...checking out suggestions in this thread.

also looking at the Afton MTB flat shoes as well (cause I also MTB )...wondering of they will crossover, or may be too stiff for BMX

i have a pair of the Vans Pros Charlie Brown shoes that I wore at my wedding, and they are super comfortable, but I feel like they would be too heavy for BMX...plus I don't want to trash them

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

3/2/2019 7:14 PM

I personally like a good stiff shoe for the extra support, longer lasting sole and foot jams being less "Jammy".

|

3/2/2019 7:27 PM

I can't stand puffy, over-cushioned shoes. I had the Osiris D3s as a kid because they were the shoe to have but I couldn't imagine wearing them now. I'm the same way with running shoes, I've gotta have the minimalist running shoes otherwise my knees hurt. I wear Birkenstocks at work, and those have no cushioning, just a cork footbed that molds to the sole. One day I forgot my shoes and I wore the Jordans that I was wearing the day before. You'd figure that if MJ could win 6 championships in those that I'd be set for one 12-hour shift, right? No way... my feet were killing me.

Relevant to the thread, I gotta have Vans classics. The Pro versions that they have with the extra cushioning just make me feel like I'm floating on my pedals. Hell, I'd ride barefoot if it were feasible

|

3/2/2019 10:10 PM

My favorite shoes were the Emerica Reynolds 3 low. They are super comfy and they dont fall off your foot like most skate shoes. They're not that expensive either. Not cause of cheap material. People would just rather pay for stuff with a more popular reputation.

|

3/2/2019 10:28 PM

sirsavage222 wrote:

My favorite shoes were the Emerica Reynolds 3 low. They are super comfy and they dont fall off your foot like most skate shoes. They're not that expensive either. Not cause of cheap material. People would just rather pay for stuff with a more popular reputation.

The BEST shoes! i didnt know they still made these. ordering some tonight. The pigsuede ones were fkin indestructible! Do they still come with the little diamonds for the top lace holes? lol

|

3/3/2019 7:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 7:09 AM

Stiff but not five ten stiff. I've been using no fear skate shoes from sports direct. Dirt cheap so I don't mind destroying them and lots of padding. Thin shoes feel nice but suck for footjams and give me pain in my feet after a long sesh.

They're nice and warm in winter as well. Also bamboo socks. Sounds weird but I just don't sweat in them which makes skate shoes much better to wear in the summer.

|

3/3/2019 8:15 AM

sirsavage222 wrote:

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

The BEST shoes! i didnt know they still made these. ordering some tonight. The pigsuede ones were fkin indestructible! Do they still come with the little diamonds for the top lace holes? lol

They aren’t exactly the same. The toe is weird and pointy looking and the sole/midsole and tongue is different. I wish they just re issued the original Reynolds 3. One of the best skate shoes ever. I had a pair when I was like 16 lol they were a nice flexy vulc shoe but not like the shitty ass vans vulcs hey had padding and stuff too.

|

3/3/2019 8:17 AM

sirsavage222 wrote:

The ones that you’re talking about came out a few years ago right? The Reynolds 3s before those were the best lol. But Emerica makes some of the best riding shoes in general. Way better than vans and so much cheaper lol. Any of the soletech brands are great for riding. I kinda stopped wearing emericas/soletech due to the pointed toe I just hate how it looks but the shoes are great.

|

3/3/2019 9:37 AM

sirsavage222 wrote:

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Four wrote:

They aren’t exactly the same. The toe is weird and pointy looking and the sole/midsole and tongue is different. I wish they just re issued the original Reynolds 3. One of the best skate shoes ever. I had a pair when I was like 16 lol they were a nice flexy vulc shoe but not like the shitty ass vans vulcs hey had padding and stuff too.

Oh snap! Thanks dude. I’m pretty happy I couldn’t find my size than. Its hard out here for a size-8 pimp. If they could just make some stitched sole Vans slip-ons thatd be great ?

|

3/3/2019 12:49 PM

I've ridden both and hardly ever felt a difference to be honest. As long as its got grip and enough padding for footjams I don't really care!

|