1/3/2014 9:51 AM

Any ideas on how this effect is done?

Photo

|

1/3/2014 9:56 AM

Not sure, it looks pretty rad.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

1/3/2014 9:57 AM

Holy shit, it looks really good.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/3/2014 9:59 AM

With Steel you can get this effect by heating the area you want to be blue till it is blue then quenching it in oil. I'm pretty sure it changes the properties however and would definitely affect Heat Treating, and as far as I know (could easily be wrong) it can't be done with Aluminium, and is very hard to get as accurate as this, so I'm pretty much 100% certain that's not how it's done here. My guess is it's some sort of finish similar to Oil Slick but it is only applied to part of the product.

|

1/3/2014 10:00 AM

I'd be really in to a Legion Frame or some 22mm Team Cranks in this colour.

|

1/3/2014 10:07 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

With Steel you can get this effect by heating the area you want to be blue till it is blue then quenching it in oil. I'm pretty sure it changes the properties however and would definitely affect Heat Treating, and as far as I know (could easily be wrong) it can't be done with Aluminium, and is very hard to get as accurate as this, so I'm pretty much 100% certain that's not how it's done here. My guess is it's some sort of finish similar to Oil Slick but it is only applied to part of the product.

Then how do they get the stem like that?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/3/2014 10:10 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Then how do they get the stem like that?

Like I said, I'm pretty much 100% certain that's not the case here.

|

1/3/2014 10:19 AM

i would assume heating and quenching, as i've seen similar things done, but not to this extent
looks cool, but its just another iteration of oilslick

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/3/2014 10:26 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

i would assume heating and quenching, as i've seen similar things done, but not to this extent

That would surely mean none of it will be heat treated though?

|

1/3/2014 10:29 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

That would surely mean none of it will be heat treated though?

yeah i guess
but im not sure

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/3/2014 10:50 AM

My guess is some sort of oil slick variation with possibly a two-step process.

|

1/3/2014 10:53 AM

Damn looks real nice.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

1/3/2014 11:03 AM

Paint effects?

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

1/3/2014 11:05 AM

Paint. It's paint. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/3/2014 11:21 AM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

Paint effects?

Did I use the wrong word? lol

|

1/3/2014 11:37 AM

Maybe its heated titanium, The xhaust on my car looks excatly like that.

|

1/3/2014 12:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2014 12:38 PM

I messaged Stolen and this is the answer I got: 'It is put into a machine that is filled with gas and electricity and a chemical reaction happens when different gases and currents are introduced.'

Which I'm pretty sure is called Electroplating.

|

1/3/2014 1:01 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

this sounds like it would work for someone jus trying to do it cheap fast and easy. torch that shit then dip n go.ill try it n post pics

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

1/3/2014 1:19 PM

You just torch the damn thing. It doesn't need to be hot enough that it effect the intergrity of the metal , just prolonged heat will add the "hotpipe" effect.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/3/2014 1:39 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

You just torch the damn thing. It doesn't need to be hot enough that it effect the intergrity of the metal , just prolonged heat will add the "hotpipe" effect.

I checked, that's not what they do. Plus it would not be as accurate as this, and would have a more dull finish. And I'm pretty certain it would effect the integrity of the metal.

|

1/3/2014 2:06 PM

Hey fondue i did some research for you and i found tihis on a honda forum and he wanted to make his rollbar this colour, hope this helps mate:

Re: How to give metal tubing a burned look? (cool idea)

take a MAP or propane torch to it.. slowly and evenly, you will see it turn gold, then turquoise, then blue and purple... and i didnt know you could preserve mild steel from that surface rust by clearing it. never thought about clearing tubing.. cool idea

|

1/3/2014 2:10 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

I messaged Stolen and this is the answer I got: 'It is put into a machine that is filled with gas and electricity and a chemical reaction happens when different gases and currents are introduced.'

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I figured they wouldn't answer so I didn't. Electoplating involves liquid solutions or baths.

|

1/3/2014 2:11 PM

datguycal wrote:

Hey fondue i did some research for you and i found tihis on a honda forum and he wanted to make his rollbar this colour, hope this helps mate:

Re: How to give metal tubing a burned look? (cool idea)

take a MAP or propane torch to it.. slowly and evenly, you will see it turn gold, then turquoise, then blue and purple... and i didnt know you could preserve mild steel from that surface rust by clearing it. never thought about clearing tubing.. cool idea

I'll take a look. Thanks!

|

1/3/2014 2:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2014 2:53 PM

Its probably a oil slick paint type deal. Oil slick chips so easy (atleast it did for me) like its a coating or that^

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

1/3/2014 9:34 PM

I love STLN stuff, And the finish on this makes it look sexy.

|

Some times I wonder...Is Jesus black?

1/4/2014 2:13 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

yeah that was gunna be my guess... ive watched a thing about plating and it kinda did that

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/4/2014 8:33 PM

probably would've anodized it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing and then heated up the metal? idk.

|

1/5/2014 2:36 AM

They probably jet fuel it, then raw it and gloss the finish. I think.

|

bicycle more like bikecycle

1/5/2014 6:45 AM

Boomcat264 wrote:

probably would've anodized it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing and then heated up the metal? idk.

If you read the tread you would have seen that there's already an answer to how its done.

|

1/5/2014 6:46 AM

tainted1581 wrote:

They probably jet fuel it, then raw it and gloss the finish. I think.

If you read the tread you would have seen that there's already an answer to how its done.

|