Salt Plus Trapez Freecoaster Hub????

Related:
Create New Tag

2/19/2016 2:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2016 3:42 AM

Anyone have this? if so then how does the hub sound? is it durable (if hurd free coasters can be less durable) and how much slack can you change it to? I dont like much slack at all.
if i got this hub i would get a matching front one as well.
thanks.

|

2/19/2016 5:56 AM

If you dont like much slack then a freecoaster is not for you...

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

2/19/2016 6:06 AM

The Horror Contact wrote:

Okay thanks, i was just looking at this hub because its very cheap at the moment but thanks for that!

|

2/19/2016 8:53 AM

Freecoaster hub are silent my friend. Stealth mode

|

2/19/2016 11:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2016 11:05 AM

The Horror Contact wrote:

I wouldn't say that , I run almost no slack with a demolition rotator set up with 30 9 gearing and I love it

I would imagine the salt is pretty good, salts a we the people company those Germans know how to engineer quality

|

2/19/2016 11:22 AM

I have max slack on my rotator, and I am getting used to it.

Sound wise, silent in coaster land. That one can flip to cassette, and it sounds like a cassette in cassette mode. Slack wise, there are slack discs for it, and you could fine tune to one of three options.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/21/2016 4:18 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I have max slack on my rotator, and I am getting used to it.

Sound wise, silent in coaster land. That one can flip to cassette, and it sounds like a cassette in cassette mode. Slack wise, there are slack discs for it, and you could fine tune to one of three options.

thanks for all that,
any downsides to a coaster in your opinion? do you know roughly what the least amount of slack would be?
thanks again!

|

2/22/2016 7:07 AM

I myself run a SaltPlus Trapez free coaster. I have had it for about 2 years now, as it came stock with the bike (WTP Crysis 2014). I have never done any maintenance whatsoever on the F/C, aside from a tear down and a simple re-grease every year (without replacing any parts, bearings, seals, you name it).

I do abuse it, and I was giving it hell when I was learning fakies and full cabs, half cabs... Treating it like a cassette: I used to engage it before popping behind. I didn't realize my mistake back then but now have learned real free coaster full cabs... It was also prone to a lot of side loading from all the full-momentum fails of hop tail whips and the occasional sideways hit (from a moto whip) on dirt.

I ride primarily dirt, which is quite dusty in this time of the year (in fact, 2/3 of the year). I also ride street sometimes, with some 4ft drops, (but nonetheless smooth riding). I regularly take it out of the house by a 2 ft drop everyday (and like to repeat the procedure). However, I don't run pegs...

Now, for your questions:

-The hub is silent, and when i mean silent, i mean dead silent. There is not a single sound, mate. When you are coasting, you are riding on your bearings and there is no ratcheting sound. Think of a f/c as a reversed-cassette. It's ratchet teeth only engage when you pedal forwards, and as soon as you stop (or as soon as the body of the hub goes backwards), the teeth spring back to lying low. This is great as all you feel is the smooth pumping action of the tires, on jumps, in bowls.. It also makes you stealthier street-wise. However, it is quite a pity, as I just LOVE the sound of that ratcheting, especially on a BMX (it is what makes a BMX a BMX after all).

-The SlatPlus Trapez in my possession is durable. it has not failed on me...yet... NO worries as long as you don't do a Eiffel-Tower drop.

-I don't like slack at all. This is quite weird for a F/C guy, but hey, I don't like slack, seeing I do dirt and want max engagement-when I need additional speed (who wants to case a jump and hit his ball sack anyway?). The minimal slack position gives a 1/6... or bit more than 1/8... crank before engagement...hell, take it this way: your bloody foot will go down about an inch before the thing engages. After a few months (and heck-even 2 full years) with that slack, it's perfectly fine. It also makes you anticipate stuff and make you know your bike better.

Advice?

If you want this F/C, don't get turned down by the price. It's that low because it is from a KHE hub design, so the engineers didn't have to crack their skulls designing it (just tweaking it to turn out better), and-and this comes first- it's a bit old (2 years does seem long in the BMX world -my view-). Quality is top-notch: german engineering is one of the highest quality (if not THE highest) in the world. Sorry yankees.

You will not be disappointed by this hub. If you are, then you can spank my ass and get my bike for free.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

2/22/2016 8:17 AM

The hub is fine but one thing skylight got wrong is that it is ezra based and not KHE based, other than that he didn't do bad, seems a pretty solid hub from the ones ive tried (Salt, and currently a vocal hitchhiker, same thing).

|

2/22/2016 8:19 AM

The Salt Trapez is the same thing as the Ezra, meaning NOT KHE...

It uses pawls and springs and a clutch disc.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/22/2016 8:29 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

That's what i meant but realise my wording is a little awkward, thanks for clearing that up/

|

2/22/2016 9:06 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Mychaylo wrote:

That's what i meant but realise my wording is a little awkward, thanks for clearing that up/

No worries, you were just fine, Skylight had his info a little confused I think.

The ONLY concern I heard of was on the Ezra branded coaster/cassette was a Popping sound starting.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/22/2016 5:09 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Mychaylo wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

No worries, you were just fine, Skylight had his info a little confused I think.

The ONLY concern I heard of was on the Ezra branded coaster/cassette was a Popping sound starting.

I found the popping noise comes from previous rides when pedal pressure has been used to come out of fakies. Seriously guys, dont pedal pressure out of fakies on a coaster, do a half cab or brake tap and save yourself the headache of blown bearings/drivers on clutch styles and shattered pawls and distorted springs on ezra style.

|

2/22/2016 5:41 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Mychaylo wrote:

I found the popping noise comes from previous rides when pedal pressure has been used to come out of fakies. Seriously guys, dont pedal pressure out of fakies on a coaster, do a half cab or brake tap and save yourself the headache of blown bearings/drivers on clutch styles and shattered pawls and distorted springs on ezra style.

I realize my error there. Yep, I mixed up Ezra and KHE... Oops.

There sometimes was a popping sound under pressure (in situations where there would be a lot of torque), making me stop and looking down at it as if it had cracked open or something... Scary, but doesn't happen much anymore (only from time to time, but really rare). It must have been from a pawl engaging, disengaging and then hopping to another tooth in the ratchet thingy? Or the clutch disc and the hub shell?

I have checked my hub while regressing (at the start of this year, so not that long ago), and the components are all fine. No distortions whatsoever. However, one pawl looks a bit abused (especially at it's tip). Maybe it was this one that was Im surprised that it didn't give in more, as F/C are supposed to be "weak". I'm sure that with my present care at backward-tricks, my hub will still turn for a long time... Maybe I'll order some new internals for next year?

I have no negative things to say about my Trapez, only that it is too well built and that I never will be able to get the profile F/C/Cassette!

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

2/23/2016 11:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2016 11:04 AM

Mychaylo wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Mychaylo wrote:

I'm riding an Ezra coaster and have had it for around 3 1/2 months. I've noticed a slight popping sound, not very often but since I've started to half cab or brake tap out of fakies it has almost went away entirely. Love this hub for it's simplicity and how smooth it actually is. I'm running the minimum slack disc, it's nice to have as little slack as could be. I say get it, I think about buying a Trapez as a back-up as well as an extra driver and axle. If only they had a female option for the axle...

|

Free thinkers are dangerous

2/24/2016 2:04 AM

Skylight wrote:

I realize my error there. Yep, I mixed up Ezra and KHE... Oops.

There sometimes was a popping sound under pressure (in situations where there would be a lot of torque), making me stop and looking down at it as if it had cracked open or something... Scary, but doesn't happen much anymore (only from time to time, but really rare). It must have been from a pawl engaging, disengaging and then hopping to another tooth in the ratchet thingy? Or the clutch disc and the hub shell?

I have checked my hub while regressing (at the start of this year, so not that long ago), and the components are all fine. No distortions whatsoever. However, one pawl looks a bit abused (especially at it's tip). Maybe it was this one that was Im surprised that it didn't give in more, as F/C are supposed to be "weak". I'm sure that with my present care at backward-tricks, my hub will still turn for a long time... Maybe I'll order some new internals for next year?

I have no negative things to say about my Trapez, only that it is too well built and that I never will be able to get the profile F/C/Cassette!

The freecoasters that are meant to be 'weak' are KHE style. Pawl type ones weren't known for anything as theyre a relatively new design still.

I rode an EZRA once, and all I can do is I didnt like the slack even at max slack. But I like lots of slack

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)