Sandblasting

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2014 8:06 PM

Alright so my bike kind of looks like a mess right now. My frame is army green and neon green forks. I have access to a sandblaster at school and was wondering if I should try blasting basically everything. If I choose to leave it raw after blasting do I just slap a clear coat on and leave it? What is the process like for painting after blasting? Does anybody have experience with sandblasting/painting bikes that could help me out ? Thanks

|

6/3/2014 8:23 PM

Okay for sandblasting it wont leave it with a smooth finish. you are probably better off using paint stripper.
Also depending on that psi and compound you are using it could cause some problems.
Try and use what ever sand you are using, or if you are using copper slag run it at around 80-90psi. Any higher and it can actually remove some of your weld. Also If you are to sandblast it. you can use a fine sand paper 400gritt range to get any imperfections out. Lastly Make Sure You Use Protection.

Used to be part of my job and my ears are now screwed and there are some parts on me where the copperslag is still under my skin. With copper slag you can also get a high intake of silicosis which can be bad for you. And yeah once you're finished slap a can of clear coat on it to stop it from rusting smile

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

6/3/2014 8:50 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

Okay for sandblasting it wont leave it with a smooth finish. you are probably better off using paint stripper.
Also depending ...more

So the paint stripper will give the same effect as sand blasting? And I'll make sure the blaster is setup correctly before I take it to my frame. Thanks for the help btw

|

6/3/2014 9:09 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

Also depending ...more

wustachemax wrote:

So the paint stripper will give the same effect as sand blasting? And I'll make sure the blaster is setup correctly before I ...more

The sandblasting will leave it with heaps of little indentations everywhere whilst paint stripping will just remove the paint. eazy to do too.
There is a indepth thread in the "how to" section that will be worth a look at

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

6/3/2014 11:32 PM

Photo

My friend did this with paint stripper and a wire brush machine.

(Also a sneek peek for an upcoming bike check for summer 14'
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/4/2014 12:57 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote: Photo

My friend did this with paint stripper and a wire brush machine.

(Also a sneek peek for an upcoming bike check for summer ...more

hey buddy I appreciate the help smile

|

6/4/2014 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/4/2014 5:17 PM

If you sandblast aluminum you do not have to paint it and can leave it raw. Aluminum doesn't rust like steel does which is why it does not always need to be painted.

If you sandblast steel (chromoly etc.) you will have to paint it or else it will rust pretty badly over time.

I have sandblasted a bunch of aluminum parts and they look great. I like the finish so I usually just leave them raw.

Also the surface should be smooth after sandblasting depending on the grain size of you blasting medium. Whenever I use the blaster at the machine shop my parts come out smooth. Sandblasting is usually used to produce smoother surfaces and to prep parts for painting so it should be fine.

|