Saracen amplitude terminal 2013

Related:
Create New Tag

4/1/2017 5:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2017 5:11 AM

looking at used bikes and came across this locally for £100, think its worth the money? never really heard of the brand but as i have said before I'm getting back into BMX after a 25+ year gap so not exactly up on brands that have come and gone in that period
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/bmx-saracen-amplitude/1223817034

Photo

Frame: Amplitude 100% 4130 Cro-Mo tubeset / MID BB
Fork: 4130 Cro-Mo Unicrown fork
Headset: FSA Impact Sealed
Bars: Saracen 4130 Cro-Mo 2pc bar 28 inch wide / 8 inch rise
Stem: Saracen Alloy A-Head Front-loader
Front Brake: Tektro Caliper front
Rear Brake: Tektro FX340R U-Brake rear
Speed: 1
Cranks: 4130 Cro-Mo cranks 3-piece design with 25T alloy chainring
Bottom Bracket: Sealed cartridge with 8T spline / MID type
Chain: KMC Z810
Sprocket: Steel 9T
Rims: Alloy 20 inch doublewall 36 hole
Front Hub: Formula DX-21 front
Rear Hub: KT Sealed cassette hub with 14mm axle rear
Tyres: Schwalbe Crazy Bob 20 x 2.10 inch Front Front Schwalbe Crazy Bob 20 x 1.85 inch Rear Rear
Seatpost: Alloy / 25.4 mm

TBH i think it will probably be "enough" bike for me unless anyone's here has had some experience of one that can shed a light on them, I'm also waiting on someone getting back to me on a "kink" but cant tell what model it is to see if its a hi-ten entry level or if its a higher end chromoly bike, the kink is here...https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/bmx-bike-kink/1225328586

cheers guys.

|

4/1/2017 7:36 AM

Saracen are known for making mountain bikes, they got a bad name years ago for being ridiculously heavy (they're pretty cheap for what you get on them, so the weight must've been the sacrifice?). The quality isn't bad, and they have some really high end bikes now. I didn't even know they made bmxs!
£100 sounds like a pretty good price for the spec though

|

4/1/2017 10:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2017 10:55 AM

cheers Steve, yeah the weight is the only thing i couldn't really find out any info on, or geometry settings, but i imagine its not going to be too far off their current top end "amplitude frequency" bike, from what i can find the one i am looking at was £450 new in 2013 and was their top end model, cant imagine its going to be heavy enough to cause me any issues as i'm not a young kid, I'm still waiting for the model info on the kink i listed at the bottom, if its a full chromoly bike i may go with that instead but for the price the saracen looks like it could be a go-er.

the only reveiw i came across was on a slightly different model back in 2011 on rideuk and the reviewer seemed to think it was a good little bike for the money, he said he expected a lot worse and was pleasantly surprised.

|

4/2/2017 1:33 PM

Looks like i probably wont be getting the saracen, owner hasn't bothered getting back to me, and the KINK was a 2015 "launch", so hi-ten frame...so gonna pass on that....the search continues.....

|