Saw This on Reddit

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2017 4:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2017 5:58 AM


Photo


Photo

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

1/17/2017 5:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2017 8:30 AM

i almost want to buy a mafia hitmain frame just to give a middle finger to guys like that , they should just shut the fuck up and ride their kids bike

|

1/17/2017 7:21 AM

I've watched BSD Transmission at least 50 times, it never gets old. Hell, I'm probably going to watch it again.. right now.
But as far as Mafia goes, they are a company just like all the rest, at the end of the day all they want to see is their profits go up. Who cares if their main focus is to sell to 12 year olds, at least some of the kids who will buy their bikes will go on to enjoy BMX and upgrade to more 'reliable' BMX brands in the future.

|

1/17/2017 7:26 AM

I don't see what the big deal is. Most kids don't have much money to spend and they offer a complete bike they can pick up and start learning. They do look cool and as far as quality goes? What more do you want for the price? You break something and you replace it

|

1/17/2017 7:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2017 7:32 AM

And who cares about what harry main has or does with his money. The dude is one of the best riders on the planet! He's a business man making his money! Are you? Me personally I think they are helping bmx by getting more and more kids into it. 90% of kids don't have $700 to spend on a high end complete or have rich parents to buy them such a bike. They shred them, progress, break things along the way, and save money and buy a better bike in the future! Don't hate on people because they have a mafia bike. I see kids on them all the time and they are happier than shit to be out shredding!

|

1/17/2017 7:37 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

And who cares about what harry main has or does with his money. The dude is one of the best riders on the planet! He's a business man making his money! Are you? Me personally I think they are helping bmx by getting more and more kids into it. 90% of kids don't have $700 to spend on a high end complete or have rich parents to buy them such a bike. They shred them, progress, break things along the way, and save money and buy a better bike in the future! Don't hate on people because they have a mafia bike. I see kids on them all the time and they are happier than shit to be out shredding!

I'm not the one hating

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

1/17/2017 7:38 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

And who cares about what harry main has or does with his money. The dude is one of the best riders on the planet! He's a business man making his money! Are you? Me personally I think they are helping bmx by getting more and more kids into it. 90% of kids don't have $700 to spend on a high end complete or have rich parents to buy them such a bike. They shred them, progress, break things along the way, and save money and buy a better bike in the future! Don't hate on people because they have a mafia bike. I see kids on them all the time and they are happier than shit to be out shredding!

owen.lox wrote:

I'm not the one hating

Did I say you were?

|

1/17/2017 7:45 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

And who cares about what harry main has or does with his money. The dude is one of the best riders on the planet! He's a business man making his money! Are you? Me personally I think they are helping bmx by getting more and more kids into it. 90% of kids don't have $700 to spend on a high end complete or have rich parents to buy them such a bike. They shred them, progress, break things along the way, and save money and buy a better bike in the future! Don't hate on people because they have a mafia bike. I see kids on them all the time and they are happier than shit to be out shredding!

owen.lox wrote:

I'm not the one hating

seanthemechanic wrote:

Did I say you were?

Sorry, I must have interpreted your comment wrong. wink

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

1/17/2017 8:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2017 8:30 AM

Firstly i have to say this is my own opinion but i think bmx is about money right now. I dont know its probably means a lot cause the minimum salary in our country is belowe the avarage but bmx parts just got stupid expensive these days and other companys not just mafia also trying to get as many money as they can get (can you judge them doe? everyone got a job) the problem is they dont put 100% work to their product (probably never did) but the percent is even less nowadays. Im a little bit bummed about most of the parts made in the same country and also there is 10 different freecoaster by 10 different brands with the same inside and why you buy the cult one? cuz you like sean ricany not some federal dude or whatever, dont get me wrong i dont like harry main a tiny little bit neither mafia bikes and yes probably they doing it more obviously than other brands, but why pros getting paid? Because of advertisingx riding good, riding parts by their sponzors and ripping their clothing. little dudes always had somebody to look up to now harry and his shitty company got a chance, i would lie if i say I wouldn't live with it and i think anyone who would say that is a little salty. Sadly money is a crucial thing nowadays

Edit: forget to mention jams are really cool thing and i wish there was more in my country
Edit2: fuuck and also bmx dvds are really siick

|

1/17/2017 9:17 AM

Here's what I said in that thread:

I'll be fair, some kids who might not have picked up a BMX bike otherwise were somehow allured into buying Mafia. Harry Main's image might not appeal to core riders who care most about history and mayhem like FBM or Bone Deth, but it appeals to the 13 year-olds who are impressed greatly by shiny stuff and GTR's. Stuff that regular riders write off as pretty gay. Once they figure out that MB is kinda shitty, they already have an in on BMX in general, and will be able to separate the good shit from the bad shit.
I might not like it, but I respect what he did for himself opposed to all the hate that he gets. He truly believes that this is a method of getting kids on bikes. Also, Harry will not kill bmx.

|





1/17/2017 9:33 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Here's what I said in that thread:

I'll be fair, some kids who might not have picked up a BMX bike otherwise were somehow allured into buying Mafia. Harry Main's image might not appeal to core riders who care most about history and mayhem like FBM or Bone Deth, but it appeals to the 13 year-olds who are impressed greatly by shiny stuff and GTR's. Stuff that regular riders write off as pretty gay. Once they figure out that MB is kinda shitty, they already have an in on BMX in general, and will be able to separate the good shit from the bad shit.
I might not like it, but I respect what he did for himself opposed to all the hate that he gets. He truly believes that this is a method of getting kids on bikes. Also, Harry will not kill bmx.

Agreed

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

1/17/2017 11:25 AM

I look up to him as a rider, even though he is quite pushy on his social media about buying a Mafia, you can't blame him for getting kids on bikes, as Pawl stated. I enjoy his content and he's a funny dude. Mafia hasn't changed my views on him one bit, but I did enjoy it when he wasn't advertising in every opportunity.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

1/17/2017 11:46 AM

I like Harry Main. I don't like how he is always saying how Mafia bikes are cheaper and better than other beginner bikes. They should be cheaper because of the buying direct but they aren't and they certainly aren't better. They're just like any other hi-ten beginner bike. It would be cool if he wasn't such a shill but he needs to get paid so whatever.

|

1/17/2017 12:20 PM

eskimojay wrote:

i almost want to buy a mafia hitmain frame just to give a middle finger to guys like that , they should just shut the fuck up and ride their kids bike

I bought me some Hitmain forks and they were only 115$ and no shipping fees all the way from the U.K. I bet he thinks that big companies don't also keep percentages of the shipping fees he pays while "supporting" them. Mafia can do whatever the fuck it wants.

|

1/17/2017 1:50 PM

coldmajki wrote:

Firstly i have to say this is my own opinion but i think bmx is about money right now. I dont know its probably means a lot cause the minimum salary in our country is belowe the avarage but bmx parts just got stupid expensive these days and other companys not just mafia also trying to get as many money as they can get (can you judge them doe? everyone got a job) the problem is they dont put 100% work to their product (probably never did) but the percent is even less nowadays. Im a little bit bummed about most of the parts made in the same country and also there is 10 different freecoaster by 10 different brands with the same inside and why you buy the cult one? cuz you like sean ricany not some federal dude or whatever, dont get me wrong i dont like harry main a tiny little bit neither mafia bikes and yes probably they doing it more obviously than other brands, but why pros getting paid? Because of advertisingx riding good, riding parts by their sponzors and ripping their clothing. little dudes always had somebody to look up to now harry and his shitty company got a chance, i would lie if i say I wouldn't live with it and i think anyone who would say that is a little salty. Sadly money is a crucial thing nowadays

Edit: forget to mention jams are really cool thing and i wish there was more in my country
Edit2: fuuck and also bmx dvds are really siick

Minimum wage is $11 in my state, and will be $12 next year, then $13. I know it's not really the point, but what country's are you referring to?
Just because a kid doesn't have a rich money and daddy to buy them a $1000 bike, doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to ride. What do you expect out of a $200 bike? You get what you pay for. If all bikes cost a thousand dollars, most kids would have never started riding in the first place.

|

1/17/2017 2:03 PM

Mafia bikes are no cheaper than mongoose, but mongooses are better. My only issue is how much they push mafia as being a good bike company that are cheaper than everyone else, when they're not. They are shit, definitely no better than a mongoose or diamondback. So they make more profit, and keep an even bigger cut. They don't use any of that money to make their bikes better, or help the scene.

At least with the money I spent on my frame I know some of that will go toward john corts having a beer, or Crandall putting some fuel in the bus for a road trip, or towards timber for a ghetto car park jam. If it was an off the shelf frame I'd also be helping the shop I buy it from, and the distributor, who help their local scene and hook other rider's up.

And harry main is an arrogant dick.

|

1/17/2017 2:29 PM

I posted this on a different thread a while ago, it fits better here:

I'm a big fan of voting with my dollar. There's lots of options on where and what to buy these days, i like to spend my money with people and companies that I'm stoked on, or that give back to BMX in some way. I've walked into Empire, needing nothing, and walked out with a shirt, because I wanted to support them. My money probably went to buying diapers for Tom's kid, but it also might have been spend on gas for Texting Is My Cardio. A video I've watched many times to get stoked before I ride. From what I've seen, Harry is a great bike rider, but he really doesnt do anything for BMX, and Mafia probably does more to hurt BMX. Better off buying from a company that holds rad jams, or put out a video that inspires you, or who came through your shop a couple years ago and rode your local with you and your friends.

|

1/17/2017 4:01 PM

Their parts aren't drastically cheaper like the original claim. Honestly I don't think there is a need to fuss so much at this point.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/17/2017 4:19 PM

I keep hearing how Mafia bikes sucks is making me seriously consider buying a hitmain frame next frame I buy just to put it to the test , I bet it's just as solid as any other frame out their , it holds up to Harry's riding and double flairs i really don't think it's a shitty as people seem to think it is

|

1/17/2017 4:29 PM

Everyone says he's not doing anything for bmx. But what about the masses of kids that watch his videos, get stoked, and buy one of his bikes, get into the sport, and grow from there?

|

1/17/2017 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2017 4:32 PM

The company might not be doing anything to bmx as you could say, but they're making tons of money. Smart in my eyes! 90% of bmx company's outsource their labor and products over seas to be made in Taiwan and China. What's the difference? They get cheap labor and save on taxes in the meantime. How is that helping the US or bmx in general?

|

1/17/2017 10:37 PM

BMX has so many elitest fucks now .

So a kid that can't afford an "average" bike chooses to get a mafia because it looks cool and his parents can afford it easier than say a Fit or something.

There is always more than just your opinion , if someone likes that bike who are we do decide . Back up your own statement by buying what you support .

I think if more kids can get a hold of a bike , good . I've said this before , but stuff breaks and then you'll have those kids going to bike shops to get it fixed and buy more parts . It's a circle .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/17/2017 10:56 PM

Well, after all, if a bike looks cool, then it is best bike. Oil slick get you higher airs and tail whips. Greenfuel get you moar backflips. Therefore, Mafia is best bike...

... Said no one ever.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

1/17/2017 11:07 PM

coldmajki wrote:

Firstly i have to say this is my own opinion but i think bmx is about money right now. I dont know its probably means a lot cause the minimum salary in our country is belowe the avarage but bmx parts just got stupid expensive these days and other companys not just mafia also trying to get as many money as they can get (can you judge them doe? everyone got a job) the problem is they dont put 100% work to their product (probably never did) but the percent is even less nowadays. Im a little bit bummed about most of the parts made in the same country and also there is 10 different freecoaster by 10 different brands with the same inside and why you buy the cult one? cuz you like sean ricany not some federal dude or whatever, dont get me wrong i dont like harry main a tiny little bit neither mafia bikes and yes probably they doing it more obviously than other brands, but why pros getting paid? Because of advertisingx riding good, riding parts by their sponzors and ripping their clothing. little dudes always had somebody to look up to now harry and his shitty company got a chance, i would lie if i say I wouldn't live with it and i think anyone who would say that is a little salty. Sadly money is a crucial thing nowadays

Edit: forget to mention jams are really cool thing and i wish there was more in my country
Edit2: fuuck and also bmx dvds are really siick

ggallin422 wrote:

Minimum wage is $11 in my state, and will be $12 next year, then $13. I know it's not really the point, but what country's are you referring to?
Just because a kid doesn't have a rich money and daddy to buy them a $1000 bike, doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to ride. What do you expect out of a $200 bike? You get what you pay for. If all bikes cost a thousand dollars, most kids would have never started riding in the first place.

Im from hungary and the minimum wage/hour is 1.69 usd im not jokin i even wrote a bit bigger number its 500 huf you can convert it. I just spent half of my salary on a odyssey clutch yesterday and my frame toke my whole salary half years ago and i never had the worst jobs.

|

1/17/2017 11:15 PM

Mtb is doing the same thing with companies such as canyon, yt industries, and commencal bikes doing direct sales. Their bikes are dirt cheap compared to other mtbs with similar spec. They're doing it right.

|

1/18/2017 12:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2017 12:56 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I keep hearing how Mafia bikes sucks is making me seriously consider buying a hitmain frame next frame I buy just to put it to the test , I bet it's just as solid as any other frame out their , it holds up to Harry's riding and double flairs i really don't think it's a shitty as people seem to think it is

I have no doubt that the aftermarket parts are just as good as anyone else's. That frame is probably made in the same factory as his previous frames. I just don't like how they make out their bikes are good value for money, when there's better value for money bikes out there. I'm sure Walmart sells some shit that's over priced that a mafia is better than. But you'd still get a better bike for a little more money if you go for mongoose or diamondback. I've built 2 mafia complete bikes, and can vouch the build quality is terrible.

Edit. The hitmain frame isn't really any cheaper than most Taiwanese made frames..... Again, not a massive saving for a brand that claims to be cheaper than everyone else.

|

1/18/2017 1:01 AM

Coopers25 wrote:

Mtb is doing the same thing with companies such as canyon, yt industries, and commencal bikes doing direct sales. Their bikes are dirt cheap compared to other mtbs with similar spec. They're doing it right.

They're not really doing it right though are they. They're cutting out distributors and shops. Those distributors and shops are the ones that hold jams and comps, and hook up local riders. If every bike company done the same thing, the distributors and shops would shut down, and the scene would die. Obviously, that's not going to happen with just a few brands doing it, but it's a competitive market, and other companies will follow suit to compete.

Sorry for the double post. 2 separate topics so seems justified.

|

1/18/2017 3:22 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Everyone says he's not doing anything for bmx. But what about the masses of kids that watch his videos, get stoked, and buy one of his bikes, get into the sport, and grow from there?

Agreed, I know several people who have got into BMX through Mafiabikes/Harry so good on them, although it would be nice to see them feed some of that back into Jams/events etc.

I do agree with others that he oversells the quality of their budget bikes on a price/performance aspect but tbh my mates son's Green fuel hitmain does look pretty sick and is more than good enough for his current needs.. wink

This is from someone who rode BMX in the 80s and snapped multiple frames growing up even though I suck big time. Even the cheapest Mafia is light years ahead of my first BMXs.

P.S. Far too much snobbery from some people imo, anyone who skates/rides a BMX/MTB/Scooter etc. regardless of make is cool in my book.

|

1/18/2017 10:38 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

They're not really doing it right though are they. They're cutting out distributors and shops. Those distributors and shops are the ones that hold jams and comps, and hook up local riders. If every bike company done the same thing, the distributors and shops would shut down, and the scene would die. Obviously, that's not going to happen with just a few brands doing it, but it's a competitive market, and other companies will follow suit to compete.

Sorry for the double post. 2 separate topics so seems justified.

Honestly the bmx and mtb market are two completely different animals in terms of money. In a world where trek is selling a full carbon frame with the latest carbon lightweight components for 10k vs a brand like yt industries where their full carbon frame with the Same components is only 5k you're saving a pretty penny In terms of value and the same exact components.

|

1/18/2017 11:21 AM

Coopers25 wrote:

Mtb is doing the same thing with companies such as canyon, yt industries, and commencal bikes doing direct sales. Their bikes are dirt cheap compared to other mtbs with similar spec. They're doing it right.

grumpySteve wrote:

They're not really doing it right though are they. They're cutting out distributors and shops. Those distributors and shops are the ones that hold jams and comps, and hook up local riders. If every bike company done the same thing, the distributors and shops would shut down, and the scene would die. Obviously, that's not going to happen with just a few brands doing it, but it's a competitive market, and other companies will follow suit to compete.

Sorry for the double post. 2 separate topics so seems justified.

Coopers25 wrote:

Honestly the bmx and mtb market are two completely different animals in terms of money. In a world where trek is selling a full carbon frame with the latest carbon lightweight components for 10k vs a brand like yt industries where their full carbon frame with the Same components is only 5k you're saving a pretty penny In terms of value and the same exact components.

The principle is exactly the same. It's not just about the saving to the buyer, it's about supporting a scene, and supporting the industry.

If all the mtbers bought direct, shops would start closing down. Who would be servicing suspension and bleeding brakes? I know it's not hard, because I can do it. But not every rider can, and not every rider can afford to buy all the tools they need to do the job properly. Bike mechanics don't earn good money (not as much as we should anyway), and opening a shop just for repairs simply isn't feasible (in most places). A shop could just sell bread and butter bikes (kids bikes, cheap mtb's, commuting bikes etc) to keep the doors open, but no one would take them seriously and want them to service a bike costing 10 times the amount of anything they stock.

If you think mtbers and roadies know how to service their own bike, you're very much mistaken. It's usually the guys that spend the most that know the least (I have guys with 4k road bikes come in for simple gear adjustments. And mtbers that want more air in their shock because they think it's too soft, without even knowing their shock has a lock out. Or asking me to finish a wheel they've laced but the spokes are too long (and the spokes cross the value hole)). I see these things almost every day.

|