School me on bar ends....

Related:
Create New Tag

12/30/2019 3:32 PM

I bought some ODI grips and the bar ends are like 2" long or so. It seems like it makes the grips kind of loosey goosey towards the end, at least this particular type. They're pretty soft. Do you guys just sometimes ixnay bar ands and put the grips on to where it's almost flush with the metal?

Or what do you like to do? Other thing is seems like bars are so wide as it is, adding that much more seems silly. Especially if it's not very rigid. I know you can cut bars down but it doesn't seem like a good idea to cut them 2" shorter on each side to accommodate the bar ends...… Unless maybe they're better than these ones I got.

And yes, my bike is cheap and ugly. I'm a newb and it's what I have for now.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

12/30/2019 3:43 PM

From what I can see, the grips aren't completely pushed on to the bars so the bar ends are just in the grips. I'm I correct in what I'm seeing?

|

12/30/2019 3:46 PM

|

12/30/2019 3:49 PM

I'm not sure I entirely understand. Are you not putting the barends all the way into your bars? They shouldn't be adding 2" inches to your bar width, it should be more like half an inch in total. When I install barends, I put the grips on so they are flush with the ends of the bar, then I push the barends as far as they will go into my bars.

|

12/30/2019 3:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/30/2019 3:55 PM

Your grips look floppy at the end but it might be the photo. Idk. Hope it helps.

By the way I do run bar ends but I have some with a screw that I can take off really easy.
|

12/30/2019 3:56 PM

install grips all the way onto the bars.

install bar ends into the end of the bars.

|

12/30/2019 3:59 PM

Bar ends are meant to push into the actual bars, not the grips. Install your grips until they’re flush with the end of your bars, then push the bar end in.

|

12/30/2019 4:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/30/2019 4:22 PM

PLEASE do yourself a favour, and make sure they’re installed properly, and never ride without them. Unless you’re interested in taking a core sample of your torso.
Riding without bar ends can potentially be deadly. Just watch this video for further motivation to get those suckers in correctly:

">
|

12/30/2019 4:25 PM

🤮

|

12/30/2019 5:05 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

PLEASE do yourself a favour, and make sure they’re installed properly, and never ride without them. Unless you’re interested in taking a core sample of your torso.
Riding without bar ends can potentially be deadly. Just watch this video for further motivation to get those suckers in correctly:

">

One of my barends once broke off mid session, but I decided to keep riding anyway. I messed up on a barspin and my handlebar sliced like a 6 inch gash through my pant leg; fortunately, it somehow missed my actual leg. Just goes to show how sharp the ends of your bars can actually be.

|

12/30/2019 5:11 PM

If you guys cut bars make sure to file and polish the edges. Just in case a bar end goes flying and you don't realize it. Hearing stories about barspins kind of holds me back from learning them in the air. Still trying though.

|

12/30/2019 8:00 PM

Odyssey par ends are the best ever. Thats all you need to know.

|

I like riding my bike.

12/30/2019 10:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/30/2019 10:39 PM

Don't go easy on them, hammer them on all the way in if you have to. There's a difference between bar extenders and bar ends.

EDIT: Okay I understand what you're saying. Yes, they sit flush fully inside the bar, they don't stick out and your grips cover the exposed part of the bar end like you have them now. If they're too tight to fit, get a blade and cut a slit down the ridges of the bar end, then hammer them in.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

12/31/2019 8:03 AM

aaaaaa!!! You learn something new every day. Yeah I wasn't installing them into the bars. LOL. I should've had a clue when they were called "bar ends". hehehehehe. My problem is I keep switching set ups around. Those grips are going on a different bike soon. But now that I know how to do it, I'll put them on properly. Thanks guys!!!!!!

Total newb move. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

12/31/2019 8:58 AM

I've got two friends that ripped their nutsacks open from not running barends. I reccomend the Odyssey Par-ends. Still plastic, but way more dense than stock push-in style ones like what come with odi's, so they'll last a long time

|

Maintenance guy at The Railyard Bike Park in Rogers, Arkansas

facebook.com/TheRailyardAR/
Insta @the_railyard

facebook.com/tedhuie
Insta @ted_danger

12/31/2019 9:03 AM

I put the grips on a little too far, put the bar ends in and then pull the grips back to meet the bar end

I used to love the really thick plastic Odi bar ends...but par ends are the way to go

|

12/31/2019 10:25 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

">

😱

|

noobnoob

12/31/2019 10:29 AM

I'm not sure what to make of this...

|

readybmxer

12/31/2019 12:57 PM

noobnoob wrote:

I'm not sure what to make of this...

This isn’t a modern-day BMX, it resembles more of a 20” cruiser.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

Black Swamp Ghost

12/31/2019 1:02 PM

Those forks look like zero offset..

|

Bulletpup

1/2/2020 7:17 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

They look more like 30ish to me. Maybe we are talking about a different fork? The OP's?

|

Bulletpup

1/2/2020 7:20 AM

Dont get aluminum bar-ends thinking they will last longer. Odyssey par ends lasted me about the same and I didn't have to file them down after each session like I did the aluminum ones...

Your body will thank you for choosing Par ends if you ever end up crashing on the ends of your bars.

|

Black Swamp Ghost

1/2/2020 8:48 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

They look more like 30ish to me. Maybe we are talking about a different fork? The OP's?

Yeah, the OP's, the first picture in this thread.. Forks look like zero offset, might have been bent that way?

|

pnj

1/2/2020 8:59 AM

readybmxer wrote:

This isn’t a modern-day BMX, it resembles more of a 20” cruiser.

it's a department store bike.

|

Bulletpup

1/2/2020 10:14 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Yeah, the OP's, the first picture in this thread.. Forks look like zero offset, might have been bent that way?

Lol are we looking at the same thing?

|

Black Swamp Ghost

1/2/2020 10:41 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Lol, yes, I could just be me, but that picture looks like those forks are almost straight up and down when looking at the rest of the bike in the picture..

|

Bulletpup

1/2/2020 11:29 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Lol, yes, I could just be me, but that picture looks like those forks are almost straight up and down when looking at the rest of the bike in the picture..

Oh, I get you. You are saying the fork looks like its kinda bent towards the rider. Almost like it was ghost ridden into a wall. I though you were talking about the dropouts.

|

Black Swamp Ghost

1/2/2020 11:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2020 11:37 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Oh, I get you. You are saying the fork looks like its kinda bent towards the rider. Almost like it was ghost ridden into a wall. I though you were talking about the dropouts.

Right!

I've actually done that to a set of forks on a Stingray as a kid. BUT... My nuts told me it's wasn't any ghost riding it, it was this Ghost.. One of my most painful experiences ever born on two wheels..

|

Black Swamp Ghost

1/2/2020 11:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2020 11:40 AM

Accidentally posted nothing

|

pnj

1/2/2020 3:28 PM

OP, you should lower that stem. It will be stronger if it's further into the steer tube.

|