Random science/physics questions

Related:
Create New Tag

7/11/2019 1:38 AM

Purely random and out of curiosity, nothing more

If I stood my bike vertically, how much weight could I hang off the forks before they snap? How much weight could I hang off the bars before they slip? How much force would it take to pull a properly tightened wheel out the dropouts?

Any educated guesses would be good enough, I know bmx bikes are tough as hell and I'm curious how tough

|

7/11/2019 2:06 AM

Errr.. it depends on like a billion factors. It would depend on what combination of parts you are using. It depends where you are hanging these weights from. These are really hard questions.

I do feel confident saying some frame fork combinations would snap at the headtube before the forks break.

|

7/11/2019 4:08 AM

We need someone to test all these scenarios!

|

7/11/2019 4:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2019 4:58 AM

And I’d like to know how much wood a woodchuck could chuck.

|

7/11/2019 4:35 AM

It depends massively on loads of variables. Through normal riding, there’ll almost always be some kind of other part helping absorb any impact.

But nothing needs to be stronger than it’s intended purpose. Which is why things still break when put through massive stresses. If these parts were made to withstand anything outside of normal riding conditions, they’d have to be way over engineered, or use a lot more material. So they’d either be a lot more expensive, or a lot heavier

|

7/11/2019 4:55 AM

.pegless. wrote:

It depends massively on loads of variables. Through normal riding, there’ll almost always be some kind of other part helping absorb any impact.

But nothing needs to be stronger than it’s intended purpose. Which is why things still break when put through massive stresses. If these parts were made to withstand anything outside of normal riding conditions, they’d have to be way over engineered, or use a lot more material. So they’d either be a lot more expensive, or a lot heavier

This, PLUS any forces that wouldn't snap the parts would snap you.

This is partially why the splined stem/fork hasn't really taken off, and why bars aren't splined too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/11/2019 5:24 AM

We could try testing it with yo momma

|

7/11/2019 8:19 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

And I’d like to know how much wood a woodchuck could chuck.

That's only if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/11/2019 8:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2019 8:26 AM

If you google enve testing handlebars. There’s a video of enve, who make carbon stuff for road and MTB testing handlebars, testing the impact strength of carbon MTB bars. I know it’s not exactly what you asked, but it might be of interest to you!

*edit* no need to google!

|

7/11/2019 8:29 AM

Hydraulic press channel? Prittyy guud.

|

7/11/2019 9:18 AM

jbales wrote:

Hydraulic press channel? Prittyy guud.

RHNB

|

7/11/2019 9:19 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That's only if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Obviously.

|

7/11/2019 6:03 PM

Probably 2 feet.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA