Scratches on Chain Stay, opinion on damage?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/2/2013 4:18 PM

So i got a first BMX bike on craigslist today, its a 2009 FIT STR 3, it looks perfect and everything is really nice except some moderate scratches on the chain-stay, I saw them when i was getting the bike but they didn't seem as major as they do now. See pics. I'm just wondering if they are something i should be worried about. Could the scratches be a weak link in the chain-stay and later cause it to break at that spot? The scratches themselves are flat in general but there is one spot that goes in deeper than the rest. Did anyone ever see a deep scratch lead to a break? Or am i just being too paranoid.. Thanks.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

11/2/2013 4:23 PM

it should be alright.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

11/2/2013 4:37 PM

That's barely even broken in. lol My chain stay is dented to heck. You will be fine.

|

United Bike Co

The Shadow Conspiracy

"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"

11/2/2013 4:57 PM

That's nothing. Mainly just paint damage. My chainstays have dents all over and have been holding up fine for over a year.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/2/2013 5:42 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

That's nothing. Mainly just paint damage. My chainstays have dents all over and have been holding up fine for over a year.

nice to have you back whats up

|

11/2/2013 6:38 PM

My chainstay is beat way more than that. Ride it. It will be fine.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

11/2/2013 7:05 PM

GTRPLR1995 wrote:

That's barely even broken in. lol My chain stay is dented to heck. You will be fine.

amen

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

11/2/2013 7:07 PM

Mine is worse. Loose chain + driveside grinding = phat chain damage !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/2/2013 7:16 PM

Buy a new bike.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

11/3/2013 8:03 AM

Mine are basically mint tongue

But that is fine. Just a little grind damage. Scratches. Nothing to be concerned about.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/3/2013 8:19 AM

That's not even a damage

|

don't overthink it just do it !

11/3/2013 8:21 AM

I recognize those tires. Fucking mongoose tires. Get new tires, those suck cooock.

|

11/3/2013 10:45 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

I recognize those tires. Fucking mongoose tires. Get new tires, those suck cooock.

You're right lol, only the back one is, I'm gonna get a new one as soon as I can

|

11/3/2013 10:55 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Mine are basically mint tongue

But that is fine. Just a little grind damage. Scratches. Nothing to be concerned about.

I'm just concerned about that deep one in the middle, but w.e ill learn to ignore it

|

11/3/2013 11:03 AM

Put a plastic tube/sleeve thing over them to stop them from scratching

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

11/3/2013 1:53 PM

yeah, that's not a big deal at all man, ive got a dent the size of a dime on mine, and still no problems

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

11/3/2013 3:43 PM

if its not beat your doing something wrong

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

11/3/2013 3:47 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

layplayday wrote:

You're right lol, only the back one is, I'm gonna get a new one as soon as I can

Yeah, had a pair for awhile, and slipped and slipped and slipped.

|

11/3/2013 3:50 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

what's wrong with mongoose tires? they're new high pressure tires are legit at good 40 psi max haha

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

11/3/2013 7:39 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

handlebar-to-face wrote:

what's wrong with mongoose tires? they're new high pressure tires are legit at good 40 psi max haha

once i even saw one of their 45psi tires

|

The first breath is the beginning of death