Seat Tube Length / Standover...???

Related:
Create New Tag

11/9/2016 12:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2016 1:05 PM

I am confused on seat tube length / standover height. I've heard...

Shorter = Easier for tailwhips, Harder for barspins, higher/easier bunny hops but all around more responsive and techy.

Taller = Harder for tailwhips, Easier for barspins (pinching), harder/lower bunny hops but all around more stable for flowy park, bowls and trails.

Whats the average seat tube height for a tech street / park frame...?

I've seen guys like Caleb Quanbeck do tailwhips on his signature quan frame and that thing has a 10" seat tube height (freakin tall). Obviously...it does not hinder tailwhips at all like what most people would assume.

|

11/9/2016 4:37 PM

OOOOKKKKAAAAYYYY. So, let me copy paste this reply I have on hand 24/7.

It's all personal preference.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/9/2016 5:08 PM

You've got a lot of pointless questions , you need bike control before any of these questions you ask matter , work on that first

|

11/9/2016 11:12 PM

It doesn't actually make a difference. Some people say it's easier to get your feet over a low stand over frame, which kind of makes sense, but the difference between low and high is only an inch or so.
How high you have your seat makes more of a difference. But it still doesn't really matter unless you pinch the seat with your knees for barspins.
Higher is supposedly more stable. But the height of your frame doesn't affect the bb height, cs length etc (i guess it would have a slight affect on actual tt length, but it wouldn't be enough to notice unless you're comparing a 7" so to a 10" so)

|

11/10/2016 12:53 AM

I see both as pointless. 8.25-8.75 is fine. I've rode lower frames and they don't really help for whips. I mean at least not whips on any ramps. Low soh helps a little bit with hop whips since you have so little time to get over the bike. I think mine right now is like 8.375 and it feels perfect. 10 inch just feels ridiculous to me. Like I'm riding a mountain bike or something but I'm only around 5'8-5'9. Also a moderate standover helps when you land whips because you can pinch your frame.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.