Seat low or high

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2017 2:22 AM

I’m starting to feel like my seat is to low, I already have fairly long legs and I don’t really peddle standing up, I can stand up just fine, but can’t peddle due to my awkward feet placement due to the Saddle.

Only thing is having a low seat is critical for certain tricks like the bunny hop ir tail whip which I’m not at that stage just yet, still getting a feel for the bike etc

Should I just raise it till I’m comfortable peddling upright from the off?

Also what’s your preferred seat placement im curious to see what other people do

|

9/26/2017 3:23 AM

I don't think anyone really pedals sitting down. The whole point of a bmx is that it's small.

I have my seat up a couple if inches, so when I'm coasting I have one foot down and can lean my knee against the seat, while the other leg is bent

|

9/26/2017 4:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2017 6:24 AM

^^^What Steve Said^^^

I keep mine up about as far as it will go, which is about 3-4 inches. & that's only because I have long legs and I'm old school & don't know any other way. I also (falsely?) feel I have a better grip on the seat with my legs with it up a little higher for certain tricks. That said, I really never pedal sitting down... ever. I do what Steve said. I'm never riding far enough for me to even think about NEEDING a seat to sit on.

P.S. To your question about raising until you are comfortable pedaling, be careful. You can only extend your seat so far before you risk bending/breaking your post and/or frame. If you post isn't marked (most are) with a max. height, a good rule of thumb is to be sure there's at least enough seat post in the frame to reach to the bottom of the seat stay tubes where they meet the seat tube... especially if you are actually going to be sitting on it.

|

9/26/2017 5:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2017 7:04 AM

Around 4" of post showing up, it's just the spot I like my seat, I like being able to sit comfortably and also being able to pedal to keep my speed, also nice spot for hang 5's and it saved my ass many times from looping out on manuals, just have to sit to get that front wheel down.
I'm also learning bars, so it's good to have a little something to pinch.
Once I tried to slam my seat but not only that it was ugly it was also disturbing when pedaling (while standing up, juste impossible to pedal while being sit), it half catch the shoe and lead the foot out of the pedal... high seat is the way to go.

|

9/26/2017 5:57 AM

Sw33tEuphoria wrote:

I’m starting to feel like my seat is to low, I already have fairly long legs and I don’t really peddle standing up, I can stand up just fine, but can’t peddle due to my awkward feet placement due to the Saddle.

Only thing is having a low seat is critical for certain tricks like the bunny hop ir tail whip which I’m not at that stage just yet, still getting a feel for the bike etc

Should I just raise it till I’m comfortable peddling upright from the off?

Also what’s your preferred seat placement im curious to see what other people do

I dont fully understand? You say you dont pedal standing and you cant pedal standing up because your feet are in an weird position?

Was that what you meant to say or

You dont pedal SITTING because your feet are in a weird position. ?

Either way if you want my opinion, I experience a bit of discomfort when trying to get down to my seat but i still prefer it low and out of the way as much as possible. I even went as far as purchasing a offset seatpost to push the seat back even more, so it touches my legs less. Also subsequently, it puts the seat in a more comfortable cruising position for when I do sit to coast.

Check out the "Eclat torch offset" sestpost! wink

|

9/26/2017 7:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2017 7:28 AM

#flagpoleseatpost

you can also get a quick release seat post clamp and raise/lower your seat as needed

|

It’s all bmx

9/26/2017 10:19 AM

I ride mine slammed, I tried raising my seat few days ago and bunny hopped and nearly nutted myself due to me not being use to the high seat, so ride what works for you.

|

Ride till you die

9/26/2017 10:41 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

I ride mine slammed, I tried raising my seat few days ago and bunny hopped and nearly nutted myself due to me not being use to the high seat, so ride what works for you.

Hey! A new trick! Can't wait until people start pulling double nuts!

|

9/26/2017 11:16 AM

My seat is high enough that my fat ass doesn't rub my tire when I'm sitting. It's about a fists worth of seatpost, 3 or 4 inches I guess. If you don't have an integrated seat post clamp then just get a long post and a quick release clamp.

|

9/26/2017 11:51 AM

Slammed and slim for me.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/26/2017 1:58 PM

I run a full fist of post these days, but that is because I want to get back into barspins like I used to (slinging em everywhere).

Also sitting down to pedal is awesome. I don't care what anyone says, sometimes I do it just because I can.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/26/2017 3:46 PM

Photo

This is my bike now , I lowered my seat in this picture. Originally has it higher with a 200mm post but it was a tad too high when I was biffing off rails and needed to put my foot down. So I lowered it and this is the perfect height and angle , just enough to sit comfy , be able to pinch and still have room to bail
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/26/2017 6:29 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote: Photo

This is my bike now , I lowered my seat in this picture. Originally has it higher with a 200mm post but it was a tad too high when I was biffing off rails and needed to put my foot down. So I lowered it and this is the perfect height and angle , just enough to sit comfy , be able to pinch and still have room to bail

That's about where I have mine set too.

|

9/26/2017 7:51 PM

That doesnt buck you off at times? Like for hops?

Also, nice bike man! Looks awesome

|

9/26/2017 7:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2017 7:57 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Shit, take a look at my profile pic. That bunny hop was about 42" high. I'm not being "bucked off", am I?

|

9/26/2017 8:13 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Shit, take a look at my profile pic. That bunny hop was about 42" high. I'm not being "bucked off", am I?

You are not, I suppose I just have had bad experiences with high seats on friends bikes me being used to slammed. Cool pic btw!

|

9/26/2017 10:23 PM

If you hit your seat when you hop, you're hopping wrong

|

9/26/2017 10:42 PM

High seat only makes certain bails a bit more tricky in terms of clearance . It never gets in the way of hops , you're supposed to have your ass over the back seat when you hop high anyways . I feel it's the right place for having it feel there , and still be out of the way

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/27/2017 5:20 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

You are not, I suppose I just have had bad experiences with high seats on friends bikes me being used to slammed. Cool pic btw!

Thanx. It's (obviously) from my heyday. Yeah, I can see why someone might think it would be a hindrance. But, back then, that's where we set our seats. In fact, when doing flatland, the nose of your seat was typically set to the approx height of the bars when turned so the two would line up relatively. That way you could grab the two together for certain tricks. I think that when you are used to it being there, you automatically compensate for its location. Sorta like you'd probably catch a leg now & then doing tricks on an old school bike because you aren't used to a seat being there.

|

9/27/2017 6:27 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

If you hit your seat when you hop, you're hopping wrong

I suppose its possible that I am hopping with incorrect technique but I do hop a good 2 1/2- 3ft high and hop up decent size 3 stairs and ledges regularly.

It could just be a security thing. Either way, I prefer the seat not touch me as much as possible.

|

9/27/2017 6:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2017 6:31 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Thanx. It's (obviously) from my heyday. Yeah, I can see why someone might think it would be a hindrance. But, back then, that's where we set our seats. In fact, when doing flatland, the nose of your seat was typically set to the approx height of the bars when turned so the two would line up relatively. That way you could grab the two together for certain tricks. I think that when you are used to it being there, you automatically compensate for its location. Sorta like you'd probably catch a leg now & then doing tricks on an old school bike because you aren't used to a seat being there.

Good point, your body does naturally compensate after it makes repeated mistakes when something is new to you. Adaptability is the name of the game, really.

I just cant wait to get riding again. This forum has been helping me keep my mind sharp bmx-wise and feel somewhat connected still. I appreciate all the people I have interacted with on here.

|

9/27/2017 6:55 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Good point, your body does naturally compensate after it makes repeated mistakes when something is new to you. Adaptability is the name of the game, really.

I just cant wait to get riding again. This forum has been helping me keep my mind sharp bmx-wise and feel somewhat connected still. I appreciate all the people I have interacted with on here.

Me too! I REALLY wish I could find more people to ride with on a regular basis. THAT is the most fun & what really drives me to progress.

|

9/27/2017 2:09 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I don't think anyone really pedals sitting down. The whole point of a bmx is that it's small.

I have my seat up a couple if inches, so when I'm coasting I have one foot down and can lean my knee against the seat, while the other leg is bent

I did, I only got into bmx when I got given my X rated dekka for my bday, and I never really rode a bike a lot, only the basic sit and peddle, altho the more I spend with my bmx the more I’m learning it’s just trial and error

|