Seat post problem help

Related:
Create New Tag

7/12/2015 8:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2015 8:49 PM

My buddy sold me a frame earlier and the seat post is stuck in the frame please help Photo

|

7/12/2015 11:07 PM

How the heck does this even happen. Try WD-40 and some pliers

|

7/12/2015 11:24 PM

Vice grips n tap the seat tube w a hammer twist it out

|

7/13/2015 6:11 AM

Liquid penetrant (wd40 sucks for this) and a LITTLE bit of heat...like a bic lighter on the frame itself, to warm the metal enough to expand a tad. THEN get a vise grip on the part of the post sticking out, and start cranking on it. Should bust out.

Try expanding the seat clamp part a little bit on the frame to break it loose a bit too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/13/2015 6:34 AM

Get a metal hacksaw blade and try cutting seat post in sections, major pain in the ass tho

Or try knocking the seat post down, until you got enough room to add new seat post, I've had to do that to a old metal bikes Kizz frame.

Good luck

|

7/13/2015 7:53 AM

The issue you'll have with heat is that the aluminum seat post will expand more than the steel seat tube when you heat it. That will make the seat post harder to get out. It might, however make the penetrant more likely to penetrate.

You could try going the other way: hit it with penetrant, toss it in an over or hit it with a torch (something to help the penetrant work), let it set overnight, then stuff the post full of dry ice, and try to pull on it with pliers.

If you have a machine shop near you, you could also have them mill that shit out.

Also, you could get a small, triangular file, and cut a few relief cuts into the inside of the seat post.

|

7/13/2015 7:54 AM

Vice grips, some heat, and a lubricant should do the job.

If you use WD40 and a lighter I hope you have a nice personal firework cooking up.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

7/13/2015 9:47 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

The issue you'll have with heat is that the aluminum seat post will expand more than the steel seat tube when you heat it. ...more

True, I've done it for stuck car parts on derby cars and such, usually the penetrant burning helps break things loose, then you crank on em with a vice grip or something.

I would also go with the file, or even a hacksaw blade down it to cut relief spots to then "crush" it out.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/13/2015 12:40 PM

Maybe drill a hole through the seat post from the slit in the seat tube and see if you can wedge something in the hole to tap it out. Also, lots of WD40

|

7/13/2015 8:01 PM

Try some PB Blaster. Serious stuff

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green