Seat post scratching

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2019 4:42 PM

I scratched my seat post a while ago and it looks so bad. I'm pretty sure it got scratched from resi sessions when the bike would land and the seat would get twisted and then rotating it back by hitting it. I slammed my seat so I don't see the scratches and so it doesn't rust.

Is there a way to avoid scratching the seat post like tightening the clamp a certain amount, greasing in a certain way...

|

2/6/2019 4:47 PM

I'd buy a new one. Also, a back up one in case the new one gets scratched.

|

2/6/2019 4:48 PM

For a start, aluminium doesn't rust...

Tighten it enough that it doesn't move and it can't really get scratched.

You could take a permanent marker and go over the scratches with it.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/6/2019 5:18 PM

You could always buy a 1/4" shank abrasive flap wheel of a close enough diameter and use a die grinder, or even a power drill and run it into your seat tube to smooth it out.

|

2/6/2019 6:50 PM

That sounds like a production issue, I'd contact the company and let them know they should issue a total recall.

|

2/6/2019 6:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2019 6:58 PM

You can't scratch your seat post if you don't have a seat post.

Photo

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/6/2019 7:05 PM

just get a new bike, when the seat post gets scratched it usually means your bike has contracted AIDs and you don't wanna get that from a bike.

|

2/6/2019 7:07 PM

Tighten the clamp.

|

2/6/2019 7:36 PM

You could shove up your ass to lube it for install.

|

2/7/2019 1:27 AM

I love Vital.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

2/7/2019 5:00 AM

Good lord! I wouldn’t be caught dead with a scratched peg, let alone seatpost.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

2/7/2019 5:08 AM

Deburr the ID of the seat tube where the pinch slot is & the top of the ID of the seat tube. Also, use a liberal amount of grease in the seat tube before assembly.

Lastly, go fuck yourself (I just wanted to be a part of the banter & didn't have anything else relevant to add).

|

2/7/2019 5:11 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Deburr the ID of the seat tube where the pinch slot is & the top of the ID of the seat tube. Also, use a liberal amount of grease in the seat tube before assembly.

Lastly, go fuck yourself (I just wanted to be a part of the banter & didn't have anything else relevant to add).

No, apply a conservative amount of greasewink

|

2/7/2019 5:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2019 5:23 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

No, apply a conservatively liberal amount of grease wink

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/7/2019 5:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2019 5:51 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

No, apply a conservatively liberal amount of grease wink

No, apply grease to a liberal conservative.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

2/7/2019 5:42 AM

laughinglaughinglaughinglaughinglaughing^^^
|

2/7/2019 6:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2019 6:45 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

For a start, aluminium doesn't rust...

Tighten it enough that it doesn't move and it can't really get scratched.

You could take a permanent marker and go over the scratches with it.

Not all seat posts are aluminum but you are correct aluminum does not rust.

To the OP, dont worry about it. As most will agree on here, when you use your bike, it will get scratched, dinged, straight up dented and it will take it and keep running for the most part. They are pretty durable machines.

Also if the seat is moving on impact, your only options to make it stop moving are to remove it, or tighten it down enough so it doesn't move but keep in mind that energy will still go somewhere.

|

2/7/2019 6:43 AM

readybmxer wrote:

I love Vital.

Yup. I read the whole thread and this is where I landed as well.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/7/2019 6:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2019 6:59 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Not all seat posts are aluminum but you are correct aluminum does not rust.

To the OP, dont worry about it. As most will agree on here, when you use your bike, it will get scratched, dinged, straight up dented and it will take it and keep running for the most part. They are pretty durable machines.

Also if the seat is moving on impact, your only options to make it stop moving are to remove it, or tighten it down enough so it doesn't move but keep in mind that energy will still go somewhere.

I'm assuming the bike in the OP's profile picture is the OP's; it has a pivotal and I've never seen a steel pivotal post. I can't imagine I ever will as they're all batch made by one company: [link]

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/7/2019 7:11 AM

L100 comes with a steel pivotal.

|

2/7/2019 7:15 AM

dead goon wrote:

Really? That's a first. Just makes me wonder why; aluminium pivotal posts are pretty much Jelly Bean parts at this stage...

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/7/2019 7:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2019 7:19 AM

dead goon wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Really? That's a first. Just makes me wonder why; aluminium pivotal posts are pretty much Jelly Bean parts at this stage...

Whah.....?! You mean to tell me that they AREN'T engineered masterpieces?! BLASPHEMER!!!

|

2/7/2019 7:30 AM

dead goon wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I have owned 5 different steel seat posts. All were off complete bikes. I still have one left, not in use, for display purposes only.

|

2/7/2019 11:08 AM

dead goon wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Because steel tubes are cheaper than aluminum tubes.

A lot of pivotal posts are just a machined pivotal head pressed into a tube. Usually Aluminum, but I can see why they'd opt for a cheaper tube on the budget-friendly L100.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx