Seat tube clamps super tight

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2021 9:15 AM

Does anyone have any ideas? My seat clamp gap is nearly touching and my seat still moves a small amount ? Photo

|

4/9/2021 9:22 AM

They're just poorly designed with very low tolerance. I've had this with pretty much every frame and seat post clamp I've had. However, a bit of grease on the seat post helps. If you still struggle with the post moving, try carbon grip (it's like a gritty grease that's used on carbon components to stop them slipping)

|

4/9/2021 10:16 AM

New frame time sorry mate

|

smile

4/9/2021 10:17 AM

Not touching yet keep tightening it

|

4/9/2021 10:22 AM

You could try to file/dremel out the area that's about to pinch shut to give you more room back there. Might void whatever warranty is on the frame though. Or just take a grinder/hacksaw to chop off the integrated clamp, file it smooth, and buy a regular seat post clamp.

Those are both pretty extreme measures though.

|

4/9/2021 10:46 AM

Is that seat post plastic? Even with my alloy post I have to tighten mine down as much as I can for it not to move. Seems like plastic would make that even more difficult.

|

4/9/2021 10:48 AM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

You could try to file/dremel out the area that's about to pinch shut to give you more room back there. Might void whatever ...more

I was thinking of doing the seconds one

|

Time to throw the bike out and get a new bike

|

Bryan91 wrote:

Is that seat post plastic? Even with my alloy post I have to tighten mine down as much as I can for it not to move. Seems like ...more

Yeah it’s a nylon post, just put my snafu metal one in and it’s just the same

|

4/9/2021 10:49 AM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

New frame time sorry mate

Hopefully I can diy it I spent ages trying to get it, it’s the khe macteo 2011 frame and just had it powdercoated

|

4/9/2021 10:54 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Time to throw the bike out and get a new bike

Hopefully not just finished building it

|

4/9/2021 10:58 AM

kdtzh4 wrote:

I think that carbon grip gel that Steve mentioned would be the way to go then. Seems like a great solution for the price.

|

4/9/2021 10:59 AM

Make a shim out of a coke can. It's one thing BMX brands need to put more attention into imo. Not many people moan about it, and tightening it as much as possible seems to work. But it's not right. All the frames I've had in the last 10 years or so have done this, even when using a seat clamp (as opposed to a built in clamp). I literally only tighten it enough so the post won't move easily.

|

4/9/2021 11:00 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Make a shim out of a coke can. It's one thing BMX brands need to put more attention into imo. Not many people moan about it, ...more

That’s a really good idea I’m going to give that a go

|

4/9/2021 11:01 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

Is that seat post plastic? Even with my alloy post I have to tighten mine down as much as I can for it not to move. Seems like ...more

kdtzh4 wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

I think that carbon grip gel that Steve mentioned would be the way to go then. Seems like a great solution for the price.

Yeah iv put some on will see how it does currently it’s not moving

|

4/9/2021 1:02 PM

Time to invest in a wedge post

|

My mom thinks I’m special

4/9/2021 1:12 PM

You could cut them off and weld them on at a different angle. Best option is probably to cut them off altogether, grind/file off any trace of them and put a regular clamp on there.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/9/2021 4:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2021 4:06 PM

Another idea is an Animal wedge seat post. I don't think they're made any more though. Photo

|

4/9/2021 4:14 PM

mine is the same way on my Titan II Photo

|

4/9/2021 8:56 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Another idea is an Animal wedge seat post. I don't think they're made any more though. Photo

It’s funny I had 2 of those posts, sold one and instantly regretted it, even though I’ll probably never use it.. unless I get a skavenger frame someday!
There was definitely at least one other company that used to make wedge seat posts though.. might have been stolen, idk

|

4/9/2021 9:08 PM

They make thin aluminum sleeves that you can insert into the seat tube post. My Son’s Cult Juvenile is an aluminum frame and requires this sleeve because the aluminum doesn’t bems as much as chromoly. Talk to your LBS, they may have one that is used for MTB but can be cut or adjusted to adapt to your frame. Hope this helps.

|

4/9/2021 9:09 PM

cky199 wrote:

It’s funny I had 2 of those posts, sold one and instantly regretted it, even though I’ll probably never use it.. unless I get ...more

a couple different companies made them. Shadow, MacNeil, Stolen, but those used a different style than the Animal one

Photo

I don't think anyone still makes them though, but they're easy to make. I have one on my bike just for the hell of it. Find an old bmx stem with the quill, take the bolt & the wedge piece, and saw the bottom of the seat post at the angle the wedge is. I just eyeball mine and cut again if it's off, then file it down smooth. It's never slipped and beats those shitty integrated clamps by far.

|