Seats n spokes

Related:
Create New Tag

5/26/2016 10:19 AM

What's up everyone , another thread by moi.

So I recently quit my job , some might know from before I was a part of management at a major retail store , I was the "person in charge" so I closed the store up . I ended up working like 55 hours a week sometime and all 4-12:30am each shift.

As a little gift to myself , and being a part hoarder , I'm looking to get a new seat ! Mines fine , but it has a tear . I just want a fresh new seat , something to change . I run a black one , I'm aiming for brown now . My first choice is a Subrosa Hoang Tran seat , it looks good but what I'm stoked about is that this is real leather . How much would it make it terms of durability ? It's an extra bit more , but in terms of how long it lasts , I'd get it . I was super pumped on the Profile x ( fuck ... the leather company ! That makes custom seats ... I TOTALLY forgot , it's 2 am here . Think it's a D or something .. ) but ya . Will the leather help ? Or will it fall apart at the stitching like most seats . Rendering the leather pointless.

Next is a Fiend JJ seat , it has a dark brown like the Eclat seat I wanted , but has that kinda distressed : faded look . Bit cheaper and I rode an OG team seat before my bike got jacked . It's just fake leather .

Photo

Photo

Also , I've been snapping spokes like fuck lately .. I know when you get to a certain degree of riding you get it a lot , but like yesterday I snapped one doing a smith on a flat ledge and my rear end slipped after a moment so I did a double peg out. and boom snapped spoke . It was like a 6 inch drop from wheel to peg . I run guards and I had my wheel trued and tight , any reason why it's constant for me? I am a grind / spin type guy , but is it the hub quality or lacing or spokes ..

Thanks

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/26/2016 10:55 AM

for the seat question: http://nativebikes.tumblr.com/

also about your spokes could be just poor quality spokes and nipples, maybe invest in some better ones?

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

5/26/2016 11:18 AM

That Subrosa seat is sick!!! And I generally can't stand brown seat, but that one is awesome. I would get one of those and just put it on the wall in the garage by the bike area as art!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/26/2016 11:47 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

That Subrosa seat is sick!!! And I generally can't stand brown seat, but that one is awesome. I would get one of those and ...more

Photo

the brown BSD seat I had wasn't too bad

but I do like my sunday one much more, its matches my random personality better lol

Photo

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

5/26/2016 12:24 PM

Once one spoke goes, it can throw tension off on the others around it and across the wheel which will cause more to go. Be glad it was one and not 14. I did 14 on two separate occasions.

Might be time to consider replacing all spoke on that wheel and start fresh.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/26/2016 12:35 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

That Subrosa seat is sick!!! And I generally can't stand brown seat, but that one is awesome. I would get one of those and ...more

bmxer_yoshi wrote: Photo

the brown BSD seat I had wasn't too bad

but I do like my sunday one much more, its matches my random personality better lol ...more

yeah. I like the lighter brown stuff. And you are right, on that raw(?) frame that multi colored seat looks awesome! I think any seat would look great on that frame

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/26/2016 12:41 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

yeah. I like the lighter brown stuff. And you are right, on that raw(?) frame that multi colored seat looks awesome! I think ...more

agreed the brown on the BSD seat was very nice in color and yeah the frame i got now is raw, thanks for the compliment :D

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

5/26/2016 1:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/26/2016 1:17 PM

I'm on a raw frame so I think the darker brown JJ would be better , but if the leather is stronger than I'd just get that. More worried about the stitching coming off though than ripping leather . I don't want to pay an extra 20-30$ if it'll just break where seats normally come undone . I like th loom a lot.

That BSD seat is nice , my local has all thin black ones only.

Don't really have money for a whole new wheel build but I'm on the fence about a whole new coaster wheel so I might just wait it off . 14 spokes at once ? Fuck

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/26/2016 1:35 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'm on a raw frame so I think the darker brown JJ would be better , but if the leather is stronger than I'd just get that. ...more

Yea. Twice.

SUCKED.

Honestly I just bought spokes and relaced the wheel.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/26/2016 3:15 PM

Back to what Dave said. Replace spokes, loosen all spokes, tighten them up evenly, true wheel. Wheels with super uneven tensions are like a bomb sometimes.

|

5/26/2016 3:59 PM

What about seat wise now ? I know leather is harder to rip but does it mold Neyer and not start coming undone after a couple hours on it ?

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/26/2016 10:53 PM

I mean, re leather you won't know the quality of the stitching beforehand, but that goes for any of the seats we look at. I would get the real leather one no doubt.

The other would be fine at first, but like every other faux leather thing ive ever owned, it wont wear as well and will split & crack, or the color won't hold up

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

5/27/2016 7:21 PM

I find the leather seat tear up the back of my knees more when i pinch. i actually plan on retiring my 2 year old merritt due to this issue.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em