Seeking Input on a new bike

Related:
Create New Tag

7/12/2018 6:21 AM

Background - I'm 33, I used to ride street/trail a lot when I was younger, I've owned a bunch of different bikes from flatland to aluminum race bikes, I stopped riding about 15 years ago when I went to college, got married, had two kids (one of which is learning to ride a bike right now) and I'm looking to get back into riding as a hobby and something to do with my son. I am wrestling with the decision to either buy a complete just to tool around on or build a custom and really spec it the way I want, and to not be limited with the bikes capabilities without upgrading; I just can't decide if it's worth it. I pretty much don't have a budget, I've priced out a custom in the $1,300 to $1,500 range but I was wanted to gauge the room and get some advice from you all on what you think would be a better decision - and if you have any input on a custom build.

I haven't much looked into completes yet, but the base for my custom build right now would be an S&M ATF Frame (open to other suggestions, I just have always liked the brand) - I've looked into a handful of other parts (Odyssey Forks, Primo Cranks, Gsport Rims, etc) but was wondering what you all are riding these days.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

|

7/12/2018 6:28 AM

there are some very solid completes these days, But if price isn't an issue, getting a custom is the way to go. Especially if you already know what specs you want on the bike.

|

7/12/2018 7:09 AM

If you like the S&M frame that's cool! I would personally get a Sunday Soundwave. But the ATF is pretty badass... I'd get the ATF and ALL Odyssey parts

-Frame- S&M ATF
-Fork- Odyssey R32/R25
-Bars- Odyssey Highway
-Stem- Whatever stem you like really, I'd recommend an Odyssey stem
-Cranks- Odyssey Thunderbolts
-Sprocket- if you run pegs get a guarded sprocket, if you don't run pegs get whatever sprocket you want really
-Pedals- Odyssey Twisted PC Pros
-Gsport Ribcage rims F&R
-Odyssey Antigram front and rear Hubs
-Tires- Fit FAF or BSD Donnasqueaks
-Brakes- Odyssey Springfield brake, Odyssey Quik Slic cable, and an Odyssey Monolever

I think that's it, I feel like I forgot a thing or two, but, I literally just woke up so yeah...

Also, if you give me your hieght, I can adjust and fine tune more parts for you if you'd like..

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/12/2018 7:15 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

If you like the S&M frame that's cool! I would personally get a Sunday Soundwave. But the ATF is pretty badass... I'd get ...more

Thanks Dude - really appreciate the response! I am 6' and am looking at a 21" TT frame. Some of the parts listed in your reply weren't on my radar but I'll definitely be checking them out!

|

7/12/2018 7:18 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

If you like the S&M frame that's cool! I would personally get a Sunday Soundwave. But the ATF is pretty badass... I'd get ...more

bigmac53 wrote:

Thanks Dude - really appreciate the response! I am 6' and am looking at a 21" TT frame. Some of the parts listed in your reply ...more

Sweet, if you're 6' a 21" would suit you well!

But those are pretty much some of the best damn parts on the market, you could ask any one here, and its always Odyssey, Odyssey have the best parts and the best customer service/ waranty.... I'd definatly go with Odyssey...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...