Seeking Thoughts on Eastern Shovelhead....

Related:
Create New Tag

8/1/2017 12:58 PM

Just wanted to know your thoughts on the Eastern Shovelhead. I realize there's a review on it but it isn't very in depth. In looking over the specs, it seems like a pretty good bang for your buck... full cromo frame, fork, bars, cranks, etc...; It seems like Eastern has been sorta forgotten overall but the specs & materials seem on par or better than higher priced bikes out there. So, is there a reason the Eastern bikes have fallen out of favor?

|

8/1/2017 2:12 PM

Eastern arent forgotten, whats the issue with the shovel head? Nice trail bike for sure... Get whatever bike you want to ride dude. Fuck what you heard...

|

8/1/2017 3:18 PM

My friend and I started riding together and he had a gray one that got custom painted orange. He had it for years until someone stole it . I wish he still rode more but whatever I guess .

The bike lasted him quite a bit

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/1/2017 3:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, I haven't heard anything bad about them. Just seemed like people didn't care for them much any longer for whatever reason... Which is what I was wondering about.

|

8/1/2017 3:56 PM

Get the Ti reaper instead

|

8/1/2017 4:45 PM

People had issues with low end stuff and then people were doing insane street stuff on the grim reaper-it was a 4 lb frame and had warnings not to ride heavy street on it, they did anyway and it broke a bunch.

Then a bunch of stupid rumors came out (One was that the frames were made from pop cans...WHICH PEOPLE LEGIT BELIEVED...pop cans are aluminum, the frame was chromoly steel-the stupid was strong with those people).

Anywho, that was also around the time social media got HUGE with BMX and people posted their broken parts all over-so suddenly people with zero bmx experience as a whole were posting links to pics and videos of snapped Eastern stuff, claiming they have seen "39829839283849283942834 Eastern frames break" despite posting 27 threads about having no one to ride with. (Seriously-check in this very forum-it was insane how much kids claimed they saw break and then said they only ever ride alone).

All in all, I ACTUALLY rode two eastern frames- the Boss (top end complete) and a Journey. The boss was low but solid, and the Journey is an awesome frame and mine is still going under a buddys shoes.

Aim for as close to full Chromoly as possible, double wall rims and sealed bearings. Outside of that it doesn't really matter.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/1/2017 5:07 PM

Thanx for the explanation. Seemed odd to me as well & having not actually been paying attention to the industry at that point, in wasn't sure if anything about them was warranted. Apparently not.

I'm with you on the make sure your are getting full crmo. That's why I was looking at the shovelhead. I'm not too concerned with the components (at this point) since if they break, they will be replaced anyway. I just wanted to be sure the company was solid.

|

8/1/2017 5:18 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Thanx for the explanation. Seemed odd to me as well & having not actually been paying attention to the industry at that ...more

I never had issues-and they were great when I worked in an Eastern Dealer and had to call on occasion. They had some financial challenges in the past but did some restructuring that allowed them to continue.

I heard it was just too much inventory and they struggled to move it-not sure how true that is. Occasionally one of the owners would post on here. Not sure if he still gets on anymore.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/1/2017 8:25 PM

I had eastern bars and I loved it

|

My Cult 2 Short

8/1/2017 8:42 PM

Eastern got a bad reputation cause someone knew someone who had a brother who had a friend who knew of someone who heard of someone whose dad's co-workers daughters boyfriend snapped a stock frame.

Seriously, most of the "Eastern sucks!" comments come from someone who never rode an Eastern part, but just knew of someone who did but didn't know how much abuse it was put through. I know there was a time when Eastern parts were known for snapping left & right when parts got ridiculously light, but they're not shit either. I wouldn't put them up there with like Odyssey or FBM, but they're pretty decent.

On paper, the Shovelhead is a great bike, even better for the price. Full chromoly frame, fork, bars, 48 spline crank, fully sealed hubs, double walled rims, I'd say go for it.

|

8/1/2017 9:29 PM

Thanx for the info. On another related note, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the eastern. But I've also got a couple used bikes people have offered up. One is a mirraco black pearl. It's definitely used & the guy is saying he wants $300, which I think is still very high. Thoughts?

|

8/1/2017 9:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2017 9:36 PM

I think that Shovelhead is a great bike for $400. I would say pull the trigger on it and not some guys roached old bike... And just wondering what color are you going to get it in?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/1/2017 9:55 PM

I'm in LOVE with that gold. I love the view thru that translucent gold to see the welds.

|

8/1/2017 11:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2017 11:08 PM

Good luck! Post pictures if you get it, I haven't seen one off the internet in years. My couple buddies had some beat to death Easterns back in the day. One still rides a nitrous hub.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

8/1/2017 11:31 PM

Fuck the mirraco. Go with the shovelhead, they are bad ass trail bikes for the coin...

|

8/2/2017 4:58 AM

Alright.... the Shovelhead is on the way (or at least in their ordering system). I'll post pics when it's together.

|

8/2/2017 9:49 AM

Photo

|

8/2/2017 11:13 AM

That looks sick! The gold is awesome.

I'm about ready to grab an Eastern Repeater frame. It's all decently made despite the media's words. Glad you got what you wanted!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/2/2017 12:06 PM

readybmxer wrote:

That looks sick! The gold is awesome.

I'm about ready to grab an Eastern Repeater frame. It's all decently made despite the ...more

I actually just looked at their site and the new Grim Reaper X seems pretty legit . 8mm dropouts with tensioners , and the technology . I wouldn't mind having one at all , and it's light as fuck too

|

My Cult 2 Short

8/2/2017 7:06 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I actually just looked at their site and the new Grim Reaper X seems pretty legit . 8mm dropouts with tensioners , and the ...more

If it wasn't so expensive, it'd be mine without hesitation, haha.

|

@scootereyn

8/2/2017 7:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/2/2017 7:38 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I actually just looked at their site and the new Grim Reaper X seems pretty legit . 8mm dropouts with tensioners , and the ...more

It's not bad looking...4 oz lighter than your average frame. If Adam Banton can run it with his riding, it should be pretty solid for most riders who do more than ledges.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/2/2017 9:01 PM

I kinda want to buy the black camo sh now.... Its so cheap and I can tell my gf its for her and then ride it because she never will.

|

8/3/2017 4:57 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

It's not bad looking...4 oz lighter than your average frame. If Adam Banton can run it with his riding, it should be pretty ...more

Not a dig, at all, on you but I find it funny (especially with the Mt. bike crowd & Road bike crowd) who will spend thousands of dollars to drop 1 pound off their bike.... when they are 5'10" & weight 210 pounds! I was always like "dude, put down the cheeseburger & ride more... that'll help you more than those $110 ti skewers!".

|

8/3/2017 11:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2017 11:38 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

It's not bad looking...4 oz lighter than your average frame. If Adam Banton can run it with his riding, it should be pretty ...more

Don't forget about Kenneth Tencio! Don't know if he was running the Reaper X, but it was a Reaper with his bright yellow build. If it can hold up to HIS riding, I'm sure the Reaper X will be that much as good.

EDIT: This build, found the photo.

Photo

|

@scootereyn

8/3/2017 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2017 11:40 AM

Holy Sh*t!!!! Just randomly checked my tracking info (it was picked up yesterday!!!):

Photo

Now I have to race home & build it so my GF doesn't see I'm buying (more) bikes!

|

8/3/2017 11:59 AM

Haha lol... build it up and post some pictures bro!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/3/2017 2:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2019 5:15 AM

Just threw it together fast! Overall, it looks like great quality. Welds are clean and uniform.
Parts all good. The hubs, brakes and lever are all raw cast aluminum, which is odd (to me, at least). & there's one sticker on the frame that I'm not sure if it's serious or a great marketing ploy. Photo

|

8/3/2017 2:20 PM

Either way, I think I'll leave it on!Photo

|

8/3/2017 2:23 PM

Unfortunately, it's now raining (of course)... So a ride review will have to wait. Photo

Photo

|

8/3/2017 3:32 PM

Gratz dude. That things slick. Go rip some dirt up when you can...

|