Seized Sprocket Adapter

Related:
Create New Tag

10/13/2014 4:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2014 4:17 PM

So I was gonna swap my bike today but couldn't because of my cranks/spindle/sprocket. Not able to get a picture as frame is at brothers.

Social 175mm 2.5 piece full chromoly cranks with 48 spline, sealed MID BB and CNC alloy 25T splined sprocket

I got one crank off and got the sprocket off but the adapter which comes with the sprocket has seized onto the spindle. I've tried hitting it and using wd-40 etc. But no luck. My friend was able to take it off very easily a couple months back as it just slided off but since then I've not had the cranks/spindle/sprocket off and they have seized. The adapter bit has stayed on and I can't do anything.

The adapter is same as this one in the middle of the sprocket.

Photo

My cranks are sort of like these. Basically where the other crank arm slides on is where the adapter is stuck.

Photo

I was gonna take it to a shop but is there anything I can try before taking it in?

I can try get a picture tomorrow if it helps?

|

10/13/2014 5:16 PM

The same thing happened to me actually, I tried to use a gear puller to pull it off and even ground off the splines on the end of the spindle, no luck. I ended up having to cut off the sprocket insert with a dremel haha. You can buy a new one from Profle, it fits my Tree sprocket and works fine. I just picked up a Stolen Team spindle to replace the destroyed one, and it works better than the old Profile anyway, they're on Dans for like $20

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

10/13/2014 6:13 PM

notorious NIG wrote:

The same thing happened to me actually, I tried to use a gear puller to pull it off and even ground off the splines on the end ...more

Well if i get it off I think I'm gonna buy some new cranks and just sell the old ones and maybe get a new sprocket or something. If it doesn't then guess I'm gonna have to get someone to cut it or borrow that tool off somebody.

|

10/14/2014 5:52 AM

Open a table vice wide enough to wear the adapter sits ontop but the spindle isnt clamped in, beat spindle with a rubber mallet.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/14/2014 10:37 AM

Well my brother took it to a shop so will see what happens from there. If no luck then not sure what I can do lol

|

10/14/2014 4:43 PM

This happened to me a while back. I ended up just throwing a bunch of spacers between the bottom bracket and the sprocket adapter then i put the crank arm on the other side and started tightening down to push the adapter off.

|

10/14/2014 5:34 PM

Could try using PB blaster penetrating catalyst instead of wd40. Wd40 is primarily for Water Displacement. Spray with PB blaster penetrating catalyst and give light taps to the metal, so the harmonics from the tapping works the Pb blaster between the two metals. When taking any splined type fitting off, make sure the splines are square/centered with each other.

|

10/14/2014 5:52 PM

This. Pb blast is the bomb s**t

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331