Seized Stem

Related:
Create New Tag

7/9/2013 9:25 AM

I'm thinking about trading a seized stem for...a seized stem. First, a bit of background. I am currently running an old SE topload stem, but it feels really small in reach. I have an Animal Jumpoff Remix, which has no pinch bolts and is kinda seized. It has a 48mm reach. This kid wants to trade a seized Kink Bold FL for it, and it has 54mm of reach. I'm thinking I should do it, but is it worth it? And is the only way to unseize it by wedging it apart with a screwdriver or crowbar?

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

7/9/2013 12:43 PM

How do you people sieze a stem? 3 siezed stems in your area wtf we have had 1 in the past 2 years.

Animal for Kink Bold is worth it if you want a longer reach.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

7/9/2013 1:20 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

How do you people sieze a stem? 3 siezed stems in your area wtf we have had 1 in the past 2 years.

Animal for Kink Bold is worth it if you want a longer reach.

Over tightening. Also, Jumpoff Remixes (ive had two) have to be really tight or they slip really badly in my experience. Both of the ones i've ridden had the pinch bolts sticking out the opposite side when they were tight enough

|

7/9/2013 2:13 PM

I have had a thread on this before. I always pinch every stem I get, even brand new ones. Take out the rear pinch bolts, then somehow jam a quarter or some coin big enough in and then take a stem bolt, put that in the top right and crank it, it'll stretch it out again basically. Don't overdo it or you'll probably bend a stem, which is absolutely ridiculous.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

7/9/2013 2:34 PM

Just buy a new stem, and don't over tighten it.

|

fack off

7/9/2013 3:14 PM

i use a Flathead screw driver and a hammer to unseize my stems

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

7/9/2013 3:27 PM

jj0996 wrote:

No method is way better if you don't over do it. I tried a flathead and that shit slipped hella times and starting scraping and scratching my stem.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

7/9/2013 3:34 PM

jj0996 wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

No method is way better if you don't over do it. I tried a flathead and that shit slipped hella times and starting scraping and scratching my stem.

ya i only do it to were it barley fits over my steer tube

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

7/9/2013 3:56 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I have had a thread on this before. I always pinch every stem I get, even brand new ones. Take out the rear pinch bolts, then somehow jam a quarter or some coin big enough in and then take a stem bolt, put that in the top right and crank it, it'll stretch it out again basically. Don't overdo it or you'll probably bend a stem, which is absolutely ridiculous.

So i just tighten the bolt until it touches the quarter?

|