Serious question about drilling holes?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/25/2014 1:37 PM

Well im trying to shed some weight. I have a pretty heavy bike (30ish lbs) and I have fairly light parts (just about Odyssey everything). The only place I could imagine makes it feel so heavy is the wheels. My rims (Alienation 7up) are heavy as fuck. Im not trying to be a weight weenie or anything, but I noticed some rims have extra holes drilled where the rim strip sits, such as the Primo 7 seriesPhoto
And others just have 36 holes for the spokes/nipples, such as mine and the Odyssey Hazards

Photo
I feel like those holes wouldn't change much, it seems like a fairly unstressed area.

So my question is, to shed some rotational weight, would it be fine to make my rim like the Primo and drill those extra holes?
And I am content with my tires so dont want any "buy lighter tires" comments.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/25/2014 1:41 PM

If you know what you're doing I'd say go for it. Make sure you know where you're drilling and take it slowly. Double Butted Spokes save a fair bit of rotational weight as well.

|

1/25/2014 1:51 PM

I know you said don't say buy new tires, but folding tires would shed the most noticeable weight. my thoughts on drilling it are that if they didn't drill holes themselves, it MIGHT be because if they did, it could compromise the strength of the rim. But idk, but if you do decide to drill holes then just take your time & make them all even

|

1/25/2014 1:53 PM

Like said above if know what your doing go ahead i dont really think that it would affect anything.

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

1/25/2014 1:56 PM

if your bike is all odyssey then it's not 30lbs.

|

1/25/2014 2:01 PM

I wouldnt do it man. It can go good or bad, all depends how you do the holes and where.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/25/2014 2:03 PM

iFLYBikes wrote:

if your bike is all odyssey then it's not 30lbs.

Odyssey R25 fork
Odyssey SXTN stem
Odyssey Vandero 2 front hub
Odyssey GY3 bars (heavy)
Gsport Ratchet hub (heavy)
Odyssey MDS sprocket (heavy)
Odyssey Trailmix pedals (heavy)
All Odyssey brakes (extra weight)

And also 2 pegs and hub guards (extra weight)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/25/2014 3:49 PM

If u really need to drop some weight I would suggest getting lighter parts. 30lbs is kinda chunky but i wouldn't break out the drill unless u have experience with doing this kinda thing. If thats not the case then dont even think about drilling to save weight. How about hitting some weights to get ur muscle up so u can chuck that 30lb beast over trashcans with ease. Thats what I would do

|

1/25/2014 3:57 PM

have you actually weighed your bike? BEcause i thought mine weighed 30 but then I found out it weighs closer to 24... 25 with pegs.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

1/25/2014 4:37 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

have you actually weighed your bike? BEcause i thought mine weighed 30 but then I found out it weighs closer to 24... 25 with pegs.

Yes I have its like 29.5. Its a tank.

And I think im gonna do it. I mean I know where to place the holes, and I dont feel I will cause any damage. Im not the best with a drill but aslong as I can put them where they need to be it should be fine. I mean, im not gonna go into the next wall or anything. Im gonna do smaller holes than the primo though. I just wanna lose a tiny bit of rotational weight without losing much strength. Ive seen quite a few high end quality rims with these holes that most people would swear by.

|

1/25/2014 4:53 PM

Risky business but sup2u I guess...folding tires really would make a massive difference tho. Keep that in mind when your ready for a new pair.

Good luck

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

1/25/2014 4:57 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Risky business but sup2u I guess...folding tires really would make a massive difference tho. Keep that in mind when your ready for a new pair.

Good luck

My tires are fairly light as it is and none of the folding tires appeal to me for street. Not to mention I dont have that kind of money for new tires. Id almost rather buy new rims before that lol

|

1/25/2014 5:11 PM

jesus my 7up is laced to a g sport ratchet heavy as fuck

|

1/25/2014 5:12 PM

alright man, if you end up screwing them up I'm in Bayonne and I have a shadow stun rim I'd sell for like $5-$10 lol

|

1/25/2014 5:19 PM

chad88 wrote:

jesus my 7up is laced to a g sport ratchet heavy as fuck

YOU FEEL MY STRUGGLE.

Ive never cared about weight at all, till I rode this kids bike the other day with Colony Wasp wheels and heavy ass parts. It was only like 3-4lbs lighter than my bike but that rotational weight really made a HUGE noticeable difference. And im only tempted to drill the 7up because I know it has plenty of material that I dont personally think it needs to STILL be the best damn rim on the market. Ill drill them on monday when I get my new inner tube in the mail and have to take my tire off anyways. Ill put pics up when its done

|

1/25/2014 5:38 PM

Im thinking I should do it like this? Or should I copy off the primo?Photo

|

1/25/2014 5:56 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Or copy the primo Photo

|

1/25/2014 6:09 PM

You need to shave each hole with a file dude. Theyll have all kinds of little shards. I think it isnt a bad idea either!

My bike is light. Real light. Haha like 21 lbs. i have ridden a 40 lb bike and mostly the thing with those is it takes more energy to ride it. I prefer them light actually. Yeah i can be a bit of a weight whore just saying that, but understand that i dont sacrifice strength. Get yourself a ti spindle, a non guarded sprocket, etc. Maybe get lighter bars but my GY3s feel light id say. Tires os ideal. Maybe look into a lighter frame too.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/25/2014 6:21 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

You need to shave each hole with a file dude. Theyll have all kinds of little shards. I think it isnt a bad idea either!

My bike is light. Real light. Haha like 21 lbs. i have ridden a 40 lb bike and mostly the thing with those is it takes more energy to ride it. I prefer them light actually. Yeah i can be a bit of a weight whore just saying that, but understand that i dont sacrifice strength. Get yourself a ti spindle, a non guarded sprocket, etc. Maybe get lighter bars but my GY3s feel light id say. Tires os ideal. Maybe look into a lighter frame too.

My frame is actually 4.6lbs. And im very happy with everything on my bike (except the frame, kinda). And its not necessarily the weight of the bike itself, its the rotational weight. I have fairly light parts. Some are a bit on the heavy side but it is well worth the added strength. Strength will always come before weight, but I feel i can drop some rotational weight this way and still have bomb proof wheels. 7ups really are tanks of rims and could be shaved down just a tad.

|

1/25/2014 6:23 PM

And if I still rode hazards I wouldnt be trying this. The ONLY reason im doing it is because 7ups are HEAVY and have ALOT of extra material.

|

1/25/2014 7:16 PM

Weigh the wheel before and after the holes are drilled. That way, you could see how much weight is actually being removed by perforating a rim. My guess is that it will only reduce the weight by 0.5 to 1 ounce if you use the Primo pattern, and it is not going to make a noticeable difference. But it would still be an interesting experiment.

|

1/26/2014 6:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2014 6:18 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I know you said don't say buy new tires, but folding tires would shed the most noticeable weight. my thoughts on drilling it are that if they didn't drill holes themselves, it MIGHT be because if they did, it could compromise the strength of the rim. But idk, but if you do decide to drill holes then just take your time & make them all even

This.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Or just buy the other rims?

They are designed to have the setup they do, and drilling out COULD compromise the structure of the rims.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/26/2014 8:45 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

if you do it like this it will most likely split in half on that wall. I've seen a sun envy rim with no cutouts do this and a primo rim with the original cut outs do it. id highly suggest getting a deviant or set of runaways etc

|