Seriously, consider a helmet.

Related:
Create New Tag

1/26/2019 8:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2019 8:34 AM

I had a crash today that made me feel like a complete idiot for not wearing a helmet for years of riding. I always wear one now. Today I was over confident and aired a quarter higher than I'd ever done before. This gave me way to much speed for the box jump afterwards and I landed head first on the wood because I stupidly didn't ditch the bike in time. Apparently I overestimated my strength and tried to muscle out the flat landing. I can remember airing out but don't have a clue what happened between landing and sitting on a sofa in the spectator area, and that was WITH a concussion protection mips helmet.

This is my helmet. It was £100 and has MIPS concussion protection. I got it for mountain biking but wear it for BMX, this would have been my head if I wasn't wearing it, and this was on a WOOD park. I hate to be that preachy school teacher type but at least consider wearing a helmet. You can really fuck yourself up bad. Bones heal, brains don't always.

Hard to see in the photo but it's cracked right the way through and up the inside to where that second scratch near the vent is.

|

1/26/2019 8:44 AM

This is why I wear a full face with MIPS! Many people dont like helmets because they are embarrassed to wear it, fearing what others will say or think, or they haven't found the right one yet that fits their head comfortably.

There are no guarantees in life but it's nice to have some insurance for your body.

|

1/26/2019 8:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2019 9:04 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

This is why I wear a full face with MIPS! Many people dont like helmets because they are embarrassed to wear it, fearing what others will say or think, or they haven't found the right one yet that fits their head comfortably.

There are no guarantees in life but it's nice to have some insurance for your body.

Shame MIPS is so bloody expensive though. I'll have to get some more hours at work now to afford a new one

It's easy to think well I've not hit my head bad in my years of riding, I'll be okay for one session. Never know when that crash is gonna come.

|

1/26/2019 10:23 AM

Jesus. Glad you're ok.

|

1/26/2019 12:01 PM

Glad to see you're okay, tho. This is also why I am very proud of being the "helmet guy" at the local park. Not to sound cynical, but they'll stop laughing when it hits them.

|

Scooter rider tryin' to ride a bike.
YouTube: Reyn H. Studios // Instagram: @bmxereyn

1/27/2019 8:15 AM

Damn dude. Glad you're OK. I gotta start making it a point to always put mine on. Thanks for the reminder.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/27/2019 12:09 PM

I have a shadow helmet, but I'm looking to get a full face one. I want to be able to ride for years to come and a head injury could nix that.

Remember, even with a helmet that's concussion rated you can still get a concussion. Happened to me playing hockey in November. Finally got cleared for contact last week. Sucked not being able to play hockey OR ride my bike.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

1/27/2019 11:46 PM

Hell yes, dude. Glad you're okay! Helmets are important, I literally hit my head 12 times in a 12 month timeframe last year, some of them smaller hits, some bigger ones that came with a proper headache, blurry vision and dizziness. I sure as hell would have a lot less brain cells left if I rode without a helmet, crashing even with it on is a proper headache...

We're not some models that have to look fancy with their new haircuts, you wouldn't ride your bike without grips or tires because it looks cleaner, would you?

|

1/28/2019 2:07 AM

Got my brand new Shadow Featherweight waiting to get some action, I look dumb anyway so might as well wear something that keeps me a bit safer

|

1/28/2019 9:24 AM

Glad you're OK. Yes, seriously, consider a helmet. I was not wearing one doing a trick I'd done hundreds of times before - but I was on a bigger bike than I was used to - and the bike got away from me. I fell on my back and cracked my head hard on the ground. Wound up KOed in the street for about 10 seconds, a softball sized knot on the back of my head, and the night in a neck brace at the ER.

|

I don't ride a BMX bike to look cool to others, I do it because it's fun and never do I think "Boy I sure am cool on my BMX bike."
- Capt. Nemo

1/28/2019 9:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 9:42 AM

@Villi the headache that doesn't go away and dizziness is great fun isn't it? And barspins without grips are a wonderful way to build hand strength. Remove the bar ends as well to build up those abs.

@iamtim Christ glad you're alright after that. It's almost always something simple that you've done hundreds of times before that seems to mess you up bad. Makes me feel stupid for not committing to new tricks.

|

1/28/2019 11:08 AM

I wear one for everything, even riding to the shops now, you don't wanna have concussion twice that's for damn sure...

|

6"3' on a kids bike, no I don't take myself seriously either.

1/28/2019 2:53 PM

A couple of friends of mine just collided in mid air, one broke his ankle and wrist, the other his nose and also ripped his nose open in 2 places and got surgery to stitch it back together. Would have been much worse if they weren't wearing helmets.

|

1/29/2019 12:17 PM

Damn thats fire yo. Yes! People get CPSC Certified Helmets this is why !!
Those flimsy white Pro-Tec helmets we all love do next to nothing. They're not certified, Its basically a bump cap.
I ate shit with one on and it was worthless.

Git certified brain-buckets

|

1/29/2019 12:24 PM

I'll wear a helmet when I hop Tabletop down El Toro

|

1/29/2019 1:23 PM

Thats crazy :0

|

1/30/2019 10:55 PM

Almost died last January as a result of not wearing a helmet and crashing... Now I never ride without one. They really do save lives.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales