Setting up a BMX race bike for a six year old

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2016 10:12 AM

Hey guys

Been doing some research on bikes for my son, he raced this last year in the 5 and under and has the bug. He raced a 16" regular redline single speed bike and actually won. What I noticed is the young kids on the 20" bikes had problems with the size. I want to get a race bike for him for Christmas. I have read up on frame size for the younger kids adjusting handle bar height ect. Sounds like whatever bike you buy you have to change out the cranks and gears. At any rate any ideas from people have already gone through this would be appreciated. Type of bikes, wheel size, gearing, mitigating handle bar distance. Much appreciated

Kelly

|

10/2/2016 3:58 PM

Check this guy out..
Chad Powers really helpful person.
Powersbikes.com or check him out on Facebook

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

10/2/2016 10:04 PM

Size chart from Redline that's pretty helpful:

http://redlinebicycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/BMX-Sizing-Chart.pdf

Basically, at 6 you probably want to see if he can fit on a Mini, especially since it's a Christmas present and he may be growing a bit before he gets to race.

I wouldn't worry too much about crank length, and gear ratio when getting started. That stuff can come and be changed if he needs it in time.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

10/2/2016 11:34 PM

You could look for an 18" wheeled bike, it shouldn't be too big for him, and will last a few years before he outgrows it. I haven't looked into race bikes for a long time though

|

10/3/2016 8:19 AM

Some good stuff to get started with much appreciated!

|