Shadow Crowbar SG 4pc Bars cracked

Related:
Create New Tag

8/2/2022 1:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/2/2022 1:42 PM

Hey all,

I recently took a spin on the bike today and almost wiped out after hitting a little mound going down my street, felt like something jammed in my chain and i struggled to regain balance and I did without wiping out, but then i looked down at my handlebars and noticed a crack in them, i dont think it happened at that point cuz something felt off with my handlebars for a while but i kept thinking it was in my headset or that the stem wasnt clamped on tight enough. I got these new Shadow Crowbar SG 4pc Bars in November of 2021, and although I ride every day I don't really do much else than bunny hop and go off small jumps along the bike trail here. I thought these were really durable bars but I guess not. But then again, i dont really know how fast everyone else goes through handlebars, but I would have thought they would have lasted me a little longer. Im about 170-180 Lbs and ride pretty much every day, is this a normal lifespan for bars when you ride everyday or does this seem a little fast too be breaking on me?

Are there better and more durable bars out there that anyone can suggest or is this about as strong as they get?

|

8/2/2022 1:59 PM

Hey!

Let me guess, it cracked around the stem / lower welds area?

The problem with the current 4 pcs bars is that the higher they go, the more torque it will create in this area.

One way of resolving that would be to use thicker tubing for the lower part (that's why some 4pcs are heavier).
The other way would be to use bigger tubing, like 25.4mm OD, in that area, creating more surface for the welds.

I know that Stranger used some thicker tubing on its Come Over bars, not sure about other companies. The heaviest one will have the thickest tubing smile

I'm not sure about how the warranty works in the US, but you may try to contact the shop where you bought you bars, and see if they can do something for you smile Hopefully you didn't overtight the stem and ovalized the tubing (which could cause the cracks).

|

French BMX shop located South Est www.unleadedbmx.com

8/2/2022 2:25 PM

Right it did crack around that area! Maybe I am over-tightening the stem?

Photo

I got my handlebars through SourceBMX online shop, i may reach out to them but they probably wont be able to do much for me. Not the end of the world to get new ones but I dont really want this to become a regular thing i have to fix if I can help it.

|

8/2/2022 2:34 PM

Super common place for 4pc bars to break when they are welded vertically like that.

Everything breaks. I’ve broken frames within 1yr, handlebars within 1yr, you name it.. It’s just part of the game.

One thing I will say is, the #1 way to void your warranty without voiding your warranty is by making a post on the internet blasting the company and their product.

Otherwise it sounds like you should be covered by a 1yr warranty on them.

Most handlebars made in Taiwan are going to be the same or similar quality to those Shadows, realistically. And you say you had the straight gauge option, so I don’t think there’s gonna be many options that are thicker than what you’ve just broke.

One could say that you may have better luck with 2pc but that’s arguable..

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/2/2022 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/2/2022 2:44 PM

I'm over 200 lbs ride 3-5 times a week and never had any issues. I've had my Odyssey bars for alm0ost 2 years.
Also had my 4 piece Eclat bars for close to a year and no issues. For reference, I do mainly beginner stuff like hops, 180s, nose pivots, flying out, nothing too crazy.

I would say go with some heat treated Odyssey bars that have a lifetime warranty. If you cracked those as you did with these, you'd get new bars.

|

8/2/2022 2:46 PM

The_Djinn_Mongoose wrote:

Photo

I got my handlebars through SourceBMX online ...more

A crack here hasn't been caused by overtighting the stem wink

@HardBMX_Tim : This model is apparently multi-butted, sadly there is no way (except cutting the bars) to verify if the area is like 1.6mm thick (what's usually used for 2pcs butted bars) or more. It can go up to 2mm depending on the brand / model.

|

8/2/2022 2:57 PM

Going off of what Unleaded Shop said, (thicker bars = stronger) if you want some strong, 4 piece bars, look into S&M's 10" FU Bars. They're straight gauge (at least the last pair I owned were) and quite strong (if a bit heavy).

https://www.sandmbikes.com/product/hardgoods/bars/fu-bar/

|

8/2/2022 3:56 PM

Vic707b wrote:

I'm over 200 lbs ride 3-5 times a week and never had any issues. I've had my Odyssey bars for alm0ost 2 years.
Also had my 4 ...more

I like the sound of this lifetime warranty! I will check out the Odyssey site and see what they offer for bars and warranties, but i guess i'd have to see if "normal wear" voids the warranty or not, cuz i would imagine this would be considered normal wear & tear

|

8/2/2022 3:58 PM

Shadow bars have been shit for like 15 years, good to see they're a constant.

|

8/2/2022 3:59 PM

I like the sound of this lifetime warranty! I will check out the Odyssey site and see what they offer for bars and warranties, ...more

Odyssey would 100% cover this, they have the most legit warranty in the industry. That said, Tree bars are still better lol.

|

8/2/2022 4:06 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Super common place for 4pc bars to break when they are welded vertically like that.

Everything breaks. I’ve broken frames ...more

interesting part is that the factory bars that came with my Mongoose Legion L100 cracked on the same side in nearly the same general area but were 2 pc bars, but given those were factory bars and Mongoose isnt the company it used to be.

|

8/2/2022 4:10 PM

Vic707b wrote:

Also had my 4 ...more

what Odyssey bars do you have?

|

8/2/2022 4:16 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Shadow bars have been shit for like 15 years, good to see they're a constant.

Shadow ̶b̶a̶r̶s̶ have been shit for like 15 years, good to see they're a constant. -FTFY

Get some Odyssey bars, not for the warranty although that is a huge plus. I cracked 2 pairs of other bars within about 3 years time. Got a set of Odyssey bars and never bent or cracked them in the 5? years I rode them. Only replaced them for another set of Odyssey ones cause I wanted something juuuust slightly taller, and I felt they were getting pretty old and would rather replace them instead of seeing how long they'd last. Still on them, although I think the bike shop owner I work at said he thinks our Animal rep might have hinted he was gonna send me a set of Foursome bars, so if he does that I might try them out for a little bit.

|

8/2/2022 7:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/2/2022 7:08 PM

Shadow reminding everyone that they are still the same Shadow. Crap brand with crap products consistently it seems. I'm sure some of there products work out fine, but I've seen far too many cracked Shadow parts. Bars, forks, etc

As others have said, Odyssey bars are where it's at.
Lifetime warranty and also very think, strong, properly Heat-treated tubing. Broc 9.8" Bar is a nice one....

Or if you wanna stay with 4 piece bars, try a WeThePeople Pathfinder bar. Ridden by Prangenberg, so I have a slight feeling that they are STRONG. Weight wise there basically on par with Fu-bars.

|

8/2/2022 7:33 PM

SUNDAYFANDAY wrote:

Shadow reminding everyone that they are still the same Shadow. Crap brand with crap products consistently it seems. I'm sure ...more

Im picking up a pair of Odyssey bars tomorrow. When i started up BMXing a year or so ago i originally just planned to buy a bike just to ride for cardio, but it turned into a passion for riding and doing jumps and riding for thrill, but I had absolutely no idea who makes good products from who makes shit products, so its good to learn at this point. Some of the parts from Shadow conspiracy i got because of looks and the colors they had, for example, the purple skull sprocket i had which I still love and will keep since its still holding up, but I'm getting the Odyssey bars tomorrow and looking forward to only purchasing one more set of bars that can last and last or be covered under warranty.

Thanks to all who suggested the Odyssey bars that really helps me out to have a good set of handlebars plus the lifetime warranty, cant go wrong there!

|

8/2/2022 10:38 PM

SUNDAYFANDAY wrote:

Shadow reminding everyone that they are still the same Shadow. Crap brand with crap products consistently it seems. I'm sure ...more

Im picking up a pair of Odyssey bars tomorrow. When i started up BMXing a year or so ago i originally just planned to buy a ...more

Keep in mind that not all odyssey bars have the lifetime warranty, only the slightly more pricy, 41-Thermal bars do. The Broc 9.8, and the Super Highway 9.5

I can attest to the lifetime warranty. Bent a pair of highway bars, and they sent me a new pair after exchanging some emails and whatnot.

|

8/2/2022 10:41 PM

Vic707b wrote:

Also had my 4 ...more

what Odyssey bars do you have?

The ones that came on my complete. I believe they're called Super Highway bars. They're heat treated with a lifetime warranty.

|

8/2/2022 10:46 PM

Vic707b wrote:

Also had my 4 ...more

I like the sound of this lifetime warranty! I will check out the Odyssey site and see what they offer for bars and warranties, ...more

Sunday/Odyssey are very consumer friendly when it comes to warranty claims. You'd have to do something pretty dumb like throw your bike or something of that nature for them not to cover the part. I've had them send me a couple parts that weren't even covered. Best customer service in the business. Bar none!

|

8/2/2022 11:03 PM

SUNDAYFANDAY wrote:

Im picking up a pair of Odyssey bars tomorrow. When i started up BMXing a year or so ago i originally just planned to buy a ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Keep in mind that not all odyssey bars have the lifetime warranty, only the slightly more pricy, 41-Thermal bars do. The Broc ...more

Yes I just ordered the bars, they were listed as "Odyssey 10-4 10" Rise BMX Handlebar Black 41Thermal 4130 Chromoly Steel" so the lifetime warranty is good for that.

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1608/6187/products/Odyssey-10-4-BMX-Handlebar-22.2-mm-BMX-Handlebar-Steel_HB5571_DFT_1400x.jpg?v=1657306931[/img]

|

8/2/2022 11:06 PM

Vic707b wrote:

Also had my 4 ...more

Vic707b wrote:

Sunday/Odyssey are very consumer friendly when it comes to warranty claims. You'd have to do something pretty dumb like throw ...more

"This warranty does not include damage to the product that is caused by external forces such as cars, tornadoes, sledgehammers, etc." I like the sledgehammer example grin

|

8/3/2022 6:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2022 7:00 AM

Yes I just ordered the bars, they were listed as "Odyssey 10-4 10" Rise BMX Handlebar Black 41Thermal 4130 Chromoly Steel" so ...more

Was looking at Odyssey's website...apparently this model isn't 41 thermal, so doesn't have the lifetime warranty. But it shouldn't be weaker smile

|

8/3/2022 9:10 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Keep in mind that not all odyssey bars have the lifetime warranty, only the slightly more pricy, 41-Thermal bars do. The Broc ...more

Yes I just ordered the bars, they were listed as "Odyssey 10-4 10" Rise BMX Handlebar Black 41Thermal 4130 Chromoly Steel" so ...more

Unleaded BMX wrote:

Was looking at Odyssey's website...apparently this model isn't 41 thermal, so doesn't have the lifetime warranty. But it ...more

Good thing is, if he changes his mind and wants the 41 thermal bar, all you have to do is call Sunday and they'll probably switch the bars for some 41's if it's done soon enough. . As long as you pay the difference obviously. Either way, these bars are good quality.

|

8/3/2022 10:40 AM

Photo

I got my handlebars through SourceBMX online ...more

Unleaded BMX wrote:

A crack here hasn't been caused by overtighting the stem wink

@HardBMX_Tim : This model is apparently multi-butted, sadly there ...more

In the post, he says he has the straight gauge (SG) version of these bars. Not the butted featherweight version that you’re mentioning.

While the thickness in tubing can vary slightly, those straight gauge tubes can only be so thick before the bars become incompatible with regular bar ends.

The only brands I can think of that offer bars too thick for bar ends are S&M 4pc and NoWear 4pc.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/3/2022 12:21 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Unleaded BMX wrote:

Was looking at Odyssey's website...apparently this model isn't 41 thermal, so doesn't have the lifetime warranty. But it ...more

what the fuck! Damnit! Well that's no good, i thought since it was 41 thermal it was covered so i got it, but trying to get Odyssey to switch them will probably take another week and I cant wait that long to ride again, its bad enough that I have to wait the 3 days for these bars to come, so i guess im fucked on the warranty

|

8/3/2022 12:58 PM

do any of these bars have a lifetime warranty?

Photo

|

8/3/2022 1:22 PM

https://shop.odysseybmx.com/collections/odyssey-handlebars

Check the ones with the 41thermal logo on top right

|

8/3/2022 1:38 PM

Looks like i may be able to switch the Odyssey bars i initially got with the Super Highway bars that do have the lifetime warranty, because i contacted the retailer and told them i would like to switch them with the ones that do have the lifetime warranty

https://365cycles.com/collections/handlebars/products/odyssey-super-highway-bmx-bmx-handlebar-9-5-black

I hope that I can switch them i probably can.

Also, I reached out to SourceBMX and they said i do have a warranty claim for the Shadow bars, and I have to gather a bunch of information for them. So, I may have to delete this post when i start that warranty claim

|

8/3/2022 3:45 PM

id say go for a record to break every bar ever made.. the ultimate competition. if youre buying a product for the warranty, why not buy better bars to begin with? i dont buy stuff planning to break it is what im tryna say, unless i am. yadidimean

|

8/3/2022 5:29 PM

It wouldn't be a Shadow parts thread if I didn't come here to once again remind everybody that Shadow parts are utter garbage.

|

8/3/2022 8:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2022 9:00 PM

adamantvagabond wrote:

id say go for a record to break every bar ever made.. the ultimate competition. if youre buying a product for the warranty, ...more

I think you're missing part of the point in having a lifetime warranty product. I look at it this way. If a company has a 5 year warranty that says something. If its got a 10 year that shows more confidence in their product. Now if it has a lifetime warranty that that tells me the company truly believe in their product they're saying "we know you won't EVER break them, but if you ever do, we will take care of you and replace it". Obviously a company wouldn't give you any warranty on a crap product they've made. They do it on something they know has a very small chance of ever failing.

In essence, it's twofold. One confidence in the high quality product they are selling and secondly, having a good after sales program for your customer base. Both things are good for me as the consumer. That goes for even buying non-Bmx products. Just got me a mens watch that comes with a 10 year warranty. That made the purchase even easier knowing that one, this is a well made watch and 2, the company will have my back later on if need be.

|